Posted at 11:15 AM ET, 11/ 9/2009

Monday List: Celebs Who Should Join Twitter

By Liz Kelly

Amy Winehouse, an as-yet unfullfilled Twitter genius. (Getty Images)

After spending far too much of my Sunday evening reading Tila Tequila's increasingly unhinged tweets and wondering if it would be unprofessional for me to offer her some kind of monetary reward to quit the service, I was ready to follow Miley Cyrus into swearing off the whole over-hyped service.

I was, then, of course reminded of Twitter's better side by reading a few dispatches from Sarah Silverman and Tracy Morgan, who see the 140-character or less model as yet another vehicle for their genius. And by Lindsay Lohan, who just plain overshares. And oversharing, in her case, is a good thing.

But although I didn't much agree with this list from Popeater -- of celebrities who should join Twitter -- it did get me to thinking: which bold-namers would I like to see sign up and start dazzling us with their brain droppings? And what about you -- any celeb holdouts you'd like to see sign on?

Here's my list (compiled with a bit of help from my friends):

1. Katie Holmes and/or Tom Cruise -- the possibilities are endless. I'm thinking Tom's world view cut through with Katie's pleas from inside the protective perimeter.

2. Amy Winehouse -- Is she really over the drug assisted hijinx? What's the real reason behind that boob job. A few tweets sure could help to clear things up.

3. Dave Chappelle -- It isn't as if he's got a weekly series to keep him busy anymore, so surely a guy who can do nine-plus hour stand-up shows can find time for a few short tweets from time to time.

4. Jon Gosselin -- Sorry Kate, I just think Jon may have a more colorful take on tweeting. And I would just love to confirm the hunch that he'd have Ed Hardy-inspired wallpaper on his page.

5. Jennifer Aniston -- The girl is an enigma wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an actress who is capable of playing one character. Mayhaps Twitter would be the ideal vehicle for Jen to show us who she really is.

Okay, now share yours...

By Liz Kelly  | November 9, 2009; 11:15 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Jackson wants monthly stipend from Michael's estate; Chris Brown says beating details should've been kept 'private'
Next: J.Lo blocks distribution of sex movie; Emma Thompson's name coming off Polanski petition

Comments

@JenniferAniston Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad Brad

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 9, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Marlene Dietrich. If she were,you know, still alive.

Posted by: epjd | November 9, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't Jon Gosselin already Twitter? www.twitter.com/JonGosselin1

Posted by: subwayguy | November 9, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for Greta Garbo to accept my Facebook friend request.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 9, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Papa Joe Jackson's weekly demands of his family would make interesting Twitter fare.

Jeremy Piven could dispense diet advice.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 9, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

KateCruiseHolmes: Heard Every Last Problem. Meeting Ended.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 9, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

MaverickTomCruise: @PaulHaggis: If i ever find you I'm going to beat the living s*** out of you. Katie, I love you.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 9, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Does Seth Green tweet? I can't get on twitter from work or else I'd check for myself. I would think funny - and smart - things would come from his head.

Posted by: eet7e | November 9, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Damn, Byoolin. That is who I meant. Dammit, mixed up my sultry blondes.

Posted by: epjd | November 9, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

christopher walkin.

Posted by: nachomama1 | November 9, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Kanye West, duh.

Posted by: Carrie1102 | November 9, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who this is, but I like that s/he's devoted all of his/her Tweets (?) to bashing Lindsey Lohan: http://twitter.com/Jadmich

Posted by: Carrie1102 | November 9, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

maybe ira glass...
i cant really think of anyone else that might have something to say in 160 characters that would be worth wasting my time to read.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | November 9, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Good thinking, quintilius.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 9, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Jack Black, if not already.

Dick Cheney, from the bunker.

Chris Rock, since the only feed I see with his name on it appears to be a fake.

Posted by: northgs | November 9, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Any member of the Monty Python troupe. Even Graham Chapman.

Posted by: dablues1 | November 9, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Queen Elizabeth II.

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Steve Martin. Friends, have a re-listen to his comedy album "Let's Get Small".

Posted by: molsonmich | November 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Both Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin during the Oscars so one could twit, I mean tweet, while the other one was talking. In fact, if the networks really want to increase viewership of their evening newscasts, they could use the same methodolgy so that while George Stephanopolous was talking, for example, Charles Gibson could be tweeting "can you believe this windbag?" or some such.
I think QEIIs would be rather lame. I'd rather follow one of the royal girlfriends or even Prince Phillip "Blast protocol, I want to walk in front for a change."

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 9, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, seconded, thirded, and fourthed on Jeremey Piven's diet advice. I'm betting he'll grow gills next.

Forget Kate and Tom- I want to see Suri Cruise open up a Twitter account. "Dressed Mom in see-thru top today. Went well. Will try bag lady outfit next week." "Dad up all night screaming again. Says Elton John whispers secrets to him through TV. He wishes."

I'd also love a Twitter from someone anonymous who works in the entertainment industry that reports funny things and blind items that happen on the job. "Ms. X's morning routine: Today Show, mysterious green health drink, jelly donut."

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 9, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Campbell

Posted by: rrap1 | November 9, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

The best Twitter candidates will be those that hate it the most..sooooo....George Clooney. Also just because he's....GEORGE. {{{{SIGH}}}

Also, Lady Gwennie..when she is through gooping. : )

Posted by: sarahbonnie1 | November 10, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse