Posted at 7:33 AM ET, 11/19/2009

Will Ferrell tops list of overpaid actors; Gerard Butler recreates Jacko's baby dangle

By Liz Kelly

A dapper (and clothed) Levi Johnston arrives at GQ's Men of the Year party on Wednesday evening in Los Angeles. (AFP/Getty Images)
Thursday

Headlines: Will Ferrell, Ewan McGregor top Forbes's list of overpaid actors... Nicole Richie hospitalized with pneumonia... Michael Lohan promises he won't release any more phone tapes... Post-baby Heidi Klum says she needs to lose 20 more pounds... Jennifer Hudson to play Winnie Mandela in upcoming movie... Hugh Jackman reconciles with estranged mother... Robert Pattinson regrets asking fan to undress... Kirstie Alley slams Conan O'Brien via Twitter (NSFW language)... Arnold Schwarzenegger rules out another run for office... Nicolas Cage meets with jailed Somali pirates... Roger Moore wins award for anti-foie gras campaign.

Pix: Gerard Butler dangles fake baby out of hotel window.

Crime Watch: Perez Hilton drops assault charges against Black Eyed Peas manager.

Rumor Mill: Dad says Amy Winehouse was hospitalized not for a cold, but a leaky breast implant... Paris Hilton says driveway fight was not between her and boyfriend Doug Reinhardt... Penny Marshall battling liver cancer, claims tabloid... British officials turn down Mariah Carey's request for 20 white kittens to accompany her at department store event.

Say What?
"After we were done, I was like, 'Wow, America is so poor. Just the towns you come across -- all that's there are restaurants and gas stations. There are beautiful stretches of pasture, but for the most part, people live simply. The East and West Coast are so different from the rest of America." -- Kirsten Dunst describing a recent cross-country road trip in the latest issue of Allure.

Chat Day! Forget that meeting. At 2 p.m. ET, you'll want to be behind your keyboard for this week's Celebritology Live chat. Then, depending on your level of commitment, stick around for the "Lost" Hour at 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | November 19, 2009; 7:33 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fashion Poll: Helena Bonham Carter -- nightmare before Christmas?
Next: Twits: Chris Kattan, Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy Morgan

Comments

...but strictly speaking, Will Ferrell would still be an overpaid actor at $5.75/hr.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 19, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Nicholas Cage is trying to learn a new trade?

Posted by: VaLGaL | November 19, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

If by "so poor" Kirsten means that most of America didn't make $8M for its role in "Marie Antoinette," then, yes, that's true. But on the plus side, most of America doesn't have to put the words "appeared in (or saw) 'Marie Antoinette'" on its resume.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 19, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

....uhh..Maybe Mizz Dunce's comment were taken out of context somehow? Wow is that dense. Way to make the rest of us coasties look good kid.-_-

Posted by: EricS2 | November 19, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Nicholas Cage, I know you need a little extra money to pay off your taxes, but pirating is no way to go through life son.

byoolin, maybe you coudl use your road trip to refute Kirsten Dunst's claims of middle America being poor.

Come on Arnold, what are you? Some sort of girly-man?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 19, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

If Will Ferrel were paying to appear in movies, he would still be the most overpaid actor.

I see Amy Winehouse found a new way to get drugs directly into her blood stream.

Perez Hilton drops charges against Black Eyed Peas manager. Because Will.I.Am was getting too many kudos for his act of public service.

Posted by: epjd | November 19, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Nicholas Cage and Somali Pirates? And I thought his Elvis fixation was wierd.

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | November 19, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Roger Moore wins award for anti-foie gras campaign."

---

Not from me. Has Mr. Bond ever had Foie? It's delicious!

Look, I know how it's made and everything, It just that my tummy always beats out my guilt in a battle of wills. If you told me that Nachos were made from the tears of baby seals, I would still probably eat them. Because Nachos are awesome.

Posted by: VTDuffman | November 19, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"British officials turn down Mariah Carey's request for 20 white kittens to accompany her at department store event."

It's official.

Mariah Carey has become the crazy cat lady.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Roger Moore wins award for anti-foie gras campaign.

To paraphrase the classic "New Yorker" cartoon, "I say it's liver, and I say the he!! with it."

Arnold Schwarzenegger rules out another run for office.

OTOH, he didn't quit in the middle of his first term as Governor, either.

Forbes's list of overpaid actors...

In all fairness, Forbes simply calculated the ratio of actor pay to film earnings. We really need for sorcererscat to weigh in o nthis, but it seems that it generally takes a village (as it were) to create a bomb of a film, not just a single performer. Will Ferrell showed considerable talent back in his SNL years, so maybe his movie problem is more one of not being cast in the best choices of vehicles.

"Wow, America is so poor."

Did Kirsten Dunst grow up wealthy, or is she just too stoned to remember?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 19, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

When may we expect Gerard Butler to dangle Jennifer Aniston out a window?

VTDuffman, have you ever had Jack Links jerky? I make it from the dried genitalia of jerks who try to punk me. I think you'll love it.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 19, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Not sure what happened in the Jackman family, but I'm glad they've been able to find some reconciliation.

Gerard Butler appears to be following a similar career path to Russell Crowe, but with less rage and more lols. Good man.

Good call on the Forbes list, nosy- I'd also like to hear what our resident experts in the biz have to say. I remember hearing a line years ago from someone saying they thought, when you became a big star, they would open up a secret vault where all the best scripts are kept...but instead you still get the projects everyone gets, which is some good, some bad, and some "G.I. Joe".

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 19, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh, one more thing:

Henceforth, I'm spelling Kirsten's last name as DUNCE.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 19, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"Will Ferrell, Ewan McGregor top Forbes's list of overpaid actors" -- I didn't need Forbes to tell me that. Will isn't funny, Ewan gets blander every day. Duh.

"Post-baby Heidi Klum says she needs to lose 20 more pounds" -- She's trying to go from a size -2 to a size -4.

"Jennifer Hudson to play Winnie Mandela in upcoming movie" -- Expect to see Nelson heading to prison singing "Patience."

"Amy Winehouse was hospitalized not for a cold, but a leaky breast implant" -- That would explain the location of the Kleenex.

"Kirstie Alley slams Conan O'Brien via Twitter" -- Another win for Scientology's "What? We're Not Crazy!" PR campaign.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 19, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Will Ferrell was good in "Stranger than Fiction."

Posted by: Roxie1 | November 19, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Kirsten Dunst road trip:

Pasture,Pasture, Meadow, Field, Cracker Barrell, Pasture, Field, Pasture, Pasture, Meadow, Sunoco, Pasture, Pasture, Meadow, Field

Posted by: molsonmich | November 19, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Kirsten Dunce lives in her own little world, doesn't she.

Mariah Carey proves that there is a very fine line between being a diva and being cuckoo. And sadly, I think she's crossed it.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 19, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Kirsten Dunst was (I hope unintentionally) insulting in that quote, but she's absolutely right that the coasts are way different than the middle. And I think most people, both on the coasts and in the middle, are happy to keep it that way.

Heidi Klum could lose 10 of those pounds by ditching the clunky shoes, clunky jewelry, and leather jacket. I'm not sure where she's hiding the other 10.

Levi Johnston looks like an anonymous boy-band refugee in that picture.

Posted by: northgs | November 19, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"...the coasts are way different than the middle. And I think most people, both on the coasts and in the middle, are happy to keep it that way."

Yes. Absolutely. What I thought was lame is Kirsten's unfounded assumption that what she saw was poverty, simply b/c it's different than anything she's seen before.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 19, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I am in the biz (though on the documentary side, so I never see these kinds of figures) but I have always said that it is the ridiculous amounts that are paid to actors that cause our films to cost so much to be made (which leads film companies to move their films to Canada and New Zealand, leaving our amazingly talented crews, who work harder than any actor and get paid nothing compared to them, struggling to find work).

The solution to dealing with actors who feel it is their name and presence that bring in the audience has always been to pay them a "normal" fee up front (along the lines of what the crew is making) and then give them a percentage of the back end. They should have to work for their money like everyone else. And this would motivate them to really publicize their films. Then, if someone has a string of flops it would be reflected in their end earnings.

My 2 cents (and that's all I get in the documentary business).

Posted by: mwalkerg | November 19, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, mwalker! Back-end profits (hur hur hur) seem to be the solution for a lot of stuff, isn't it? The stars get big bucks if the film does well, so they have more motivation to dedicate themselves to acting well and promoting the film well. I suppose that requires a different business model than most studios use, though- one the first, I guess, requires more cooperation and flexibility and hard work, while a typical studio project is more structured and protected. (Forgive me if this is all terribly obvious to everyone else, I'm just stumbling merrily along here.) Color me fascinated.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 19, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

mwalkerg: I like your idea.....seems like the same process should be used for policitians and sport figures. If you don't produce good product and publicize your achievements you get the same as the little guy who actually does the difficult day to day stuff!

Posted by: irishone | November 19, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"Back-end profits"

I recall hearing that Sir Alec Guinness' minuscule cut of the profits on the original "Star Wars" (1½ %, if memory serves) wound up yielding him more money that he earned in the entire rest of his long and distinguished acting career, making him a late-in-life multi-millionaire for the first time!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, ironically enough, Sir Alec hated Star Wars and thought the entire thing was completely incomprehensible.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

But, Dorkus, he didn't turn down the money.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 19, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse