Posted at 10:51 AM ET, 11/24/2009

Will Jon & Kate really go away?

By Liz Kelly

Jon and Kate Gosselin in happier times, before being chewed up and spat out by the reality show wringer. (Photo courtesy TLC)

This week we have something for which to be truly thankful: The end of "Jon & Kate," though possibly not an immediate end to Jon Gosselin and Kate Gosselin as well-worn headline fodder.

If the 15 minutes of fame for these estranged parents of eight follows a logical trajectory, the absence of a regularly airing TV show and an army of TLC publicists should cut off most of the blood supply to the couple's fame. Meaning that a year from now they'll be footnotes, with news of Jon's latest exploits falling somewhere just below the misadventures of Joe Francis or Octomom Nadya Suleman.

Having said that (and you Larry David fans know whereof I speak), it is equally likely that both Jon and Kate Gosselin -- in the absence of "docudrama" cameras and the frisson of one another's presence -- will still remain very much at the forefront of celebri-tainment headlines. Because when it comes to fame, logic ain't always part of the equation. The bar for what qualifies as "news" -- and for who qualifies as a newsmaker -- has fallen so far, it is indistinguishable from the earth's core.

Take, for instance, any member of the Lohan family -- from trainwreck Lindsay to despicable dad Michael. Thanks to his regularly scheduled releases of private phone conversations and her non-stop, incoherent Twittering, we are treated to an almost daily digest of Lohan exploits. Or better yet, consider the Kardashian family -- dearly departed dad's association with O.J. Simpson and Kim K's Ray-Jay sex tape were the clan's cheap price of admission into the tabs alongside actual stars.

I could go on, but I think you get my point. Do you agree that we aren't likely to escape Jon and Kate, even if they've managed to escape each other? Or do you think that the final "Jon & Kate Plus 8" really does mark the end of an era, to use the term "era" loosely?

By Liz Kelly  | November 24, 2009; 10:51 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Martha Stewart apologizes for dissing Rachael Ray; Brangelina donate $6.4M
Next: Michael Lohan leaks Jon Gosselin phone tapes; Donny Osmond wins 'DWTS'

Comments

I put "I know I don't care", but you know, I'm not sure if that's accurate. I watch the Gosselins and the Kardashians like you would watch somebody who's very drunk- laughing a little, wincing a lot, and generally taking notes on how not to behave in public. I wish there was a word for that mixture of horror and fascination. (Is there one?)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 24, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer - may I suggest "Train Wreck"?

I hope both fade into oblivion, but I doubt that will happen. We can always hope.

Posted by: JLRGG | November 24, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE make them go away.

Posted by: patuxent331 | November 24, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

never paid attention. see no reason to start now.

Posted by: dablues1 | November 24, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

If there is a benevolent Supreme Being, then yes they will go far away. Sadly, I am convinced the Supreme Being (or Beings or what have you) has a HUGE sense of humor. So we will be stuck with them forever even unto eternity.

Posted by: epjd | November 24, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

ep, maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster can come to Pastafarians' rescue on this matter.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 24, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 24, 2009 1:22 PM |
=========
Sorry, both Jon and Kate have already lost their noodles.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 24, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Jon and Kate have cute kids. That's more than I can say for Speidi Heincer.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I think it's all been scripted. Next they will re-unite and rediscover their "eternal love." there will be a reunion special - followed by a heartwarming look back over how it all started, their bad times, and why they love each other more than ever.

And I get extra points if they re-unite over some crisis involving a child - perhaps swine flu with a dramatic recovery and happy ending??

Posted by: Amelia5 | November 24, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Didn't one of Nostradamus' quatrains cover this topic?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 24, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Didn't one of Nostradamus' quatrains cover this topic?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 24, 2009 1:35 PM
======================================
Not sure about that, but I do know that Dante reserved a special layer of hell for them.

And a layer for the rest of us, too.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 24, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Amelia5, I think you have called it!

I put "Kate will be a TV personality" because TV is known to harbor such beyotches as Martha Stewart (see this morning's mix), Dina Lohan, Elizabeth Hasselback, and so forth. Yes, she's obnoxious, and unlike Jon, has tenacious sticktuitiveness. Unfortunately.

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 24, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Suprised there isn't a clothing line in the works for multiples. Could make them in different styles but using the same colors and fabrics or vice versa. Sort of like the current trend in bridemaid dresses. Alike but not matchy-matchy.
Being a multiple myself (I'm a twin - and no, Hodie2 is me on my home computer, not my twin) I would have appreciated that. I hated being dressed like my sister.

Posted by: hodie | November 24, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, are you the good twin or the evil twin?

Posted by: epjd | November 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, are you the good twin or the evil twin?

Posted by: epjd | November 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Who has the Toni?

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 24, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, did you two chew Doublemint?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 24, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I am the evil twin, of course. And no to doublemint. I rebelled at anything that made us alike. Besides, I preferred Juicy Fruit. Funny thing is, now that we're adults, we are more alike than ever.

Posted by: hodie | November 24, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"Will Jon & Kate really go away?"

No. Because next year People magazine will release "The 00s: A Retrospective" and there'll be Kate and that hairdo on one page and Jon with Michael Lohan arm in arm on the next.

Then every so often we're going to hear about the twins starting a new school, then the other six starting a new school, and then college and weddings.

One day Mady's going to write "Give Me My Damn Water Bottle, Mom" and Cara's going to write, "Give Mady the Damn Water Bottle, Mom."

And each time there'll be poor beleaguered Kate saying "I don't understand why everybody hates me" and Jon saying "Whatever."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 24, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Has Jon has facial surgery to make him look less Asian? Sure seems that way to me....

Posted by: davidwg46 | November 24, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

UGG New Coming Fashion Winter Boots Model:UGG winter boots Size: Woman: US:5.5-6.5-7-8-8.5 UK:3-4-4.5-5.5-6 ER:36-37-38-39-40 1.Packing:All the shoes brand new comes with Original box,tag and with retro card 2.Qty: No Minimum order requirement,We accept Both Wholesale /Retail/Dropshipping 3.Delivery time: 4-6 working days 4.Ship: Worldwide Welcome to our website: HTTP://www.fashiongoods.us for more products, you can mix styles,color and sizes as you want,Contact us ,and we will give you best price to start the business

www.fashiongoods.us
hotmail:fashiongoods999@hotmail.com
email:fashiongoods86@gmail.com

Posted by: nikejordans1 | November 25, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

20$ wholesale nfl mlb nhl nba jerseys(accept paypal credit card) (http://www.nflshops.us)

accept paypal credit card online store homepage:http://www.nflshops.us/
FASHION CLOTHING,JERSEY,NFL WASHINGTON REDSKINS,NFL TENNESSEE TITANS,NFL-ST LOUIS RAMS,NLF-SEATTLE SEAHAWKS,NFL-SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS,NFL-SAN DIEGO CHARGERS,NFL-PITTSBURGH STEELERS,NFL-PHILADELPHIA EAGLES,NFL OKLANDRAIDERS,NFL-MINNESOTA VIKINGS,NFL MIAMI DOLPHINS,NFL KANSAS CITY CHIEFS,NFL-DENVER BRONCOS,NFL DALLAS COWBOYS,NFL CLEVELAND BROWNS,NFL CINCINNATI BENGALS,NFL CHICAGO BEARS,NFL CAROLINA PANTHERS,NFL BALTIMORE RAVENS,NFL ATLANTA FALCONS,NFL ARIZOA CARDINALS,
NFL NEW YOUK JETS,NFL GREEN BAY PACKERS,