Biggest celebrity train wrecks of the '00s?
I think we can all agree that Tiger made a late play for the title of "biggest celebrity train wreck of the decade," but below is my list of the core contenders. Have a read, cast your votes in the ranking poll, then join me at 2 p.m. ET when we'll debate the inclusions, exclusions and your take.
1. Tiger Woods: What began as a sketchily-explained late-night car crash has blossomed into a full-blown sex scandal, with alleged mistresses still coming out of the woodwork, an imploding marriage and skittish sponsors dropping their erstwhile golden boy.
2. Britney Spears: Sure, she's back on track now, but two years ago Brit was bopping around L.A. using a cringe-inducing British accent, shaving her head, losing custody of her kids, bashing an SUV with an umbrella and turning in one of the worst performances ever captured on MTV.
3. Mel Gibson: Remember when we all kind of considered Mel Gibson to be a Hollywood untouchable? He was an actor/filmmaker on a par with contemporaries like Clint Eastwood. That is until 2006, when he was pulled over and slapped with a DUI, during which episode he also unleashed an anti-Semitic tirade on the cops. Oh, not to mention that reference to one female officer as "sugar****." Classy.
4. Amy Winehouse: Now Amy's antics are old hat, but for a while there the "Rehab" singer's out-of-control binges, fights with then-husband Blake Fielder-Civl and creepy YouTube videos had us enthralled.
5. The Jennifer Aniston/Brad Pitt/Angelina Jolie saga: This vortex of a love-triangle may be as deadly as Bermuda's own triangle considering the years we've lost to a mysterious fascination with the three actors. Although Pitt and Jolie have been together since 2005, we're still polarized by "poor Jennifer" and "temptress Angie."
6. Kanye West: Another year, another VMA moment. This October, West became an overnight Internet sensation (and suffered a huge loss of cred) when he interrupted Taylor Swift's VMA acceptance speech to protest that Beyonce really should have won.
7. Chris Brown: In one night, Brown went from rising star to thug after news broke that he had assaulted girlfriend Rihanna after a pre-Grammy party.
8. Martha Stewart: After a conviction for insider trading, the domestic diva spent five months in a West Virginia federal prison camp. Of course, leave it to Martha to make bigger headlines for the prison-crocheted poncho she wore upon release. She's now comfortably back where she left off, helping us stock our holiday bars and schooling us on the finer points of corn cakes with Christmas caviar.
9. Anna Nicole Smith: The tragedy of Smith's life was undeniable. After her death at a Florida casino in 2007 due to an overdose (just months after the death of her teenaged son), a fierce battle for control of her estate and daughter Dannielynn began. Photographer Larry Birkhead was eventually proved to be the child's father.
10. Lindsay Lohan: Her strong performances in "Freaky Friday" and "Mean Girls" early in the decade indicated there was nothing but success in Lohan's future. Then came the arrests, stints in rehab, evaporating career, messy relationship with DJ Samantha Ronson, exploitative parents and an itchy Twitter finger, all of which contributed to Lilo's transformation from Disney darling to hot mess.
Agree with my rankings? If not, rearrange below:
Note: We're having a spot of trouble with our polling software. Keep voting -- your choices are being recorded -- and we'll display the results as soon as we get this fixed.
More Best of the Decade coverage.
| December 17, 2009; 12:48 PM ET
Categories: Celebrities, Friday Lists, Insta-Polls
Save & Share: Previous: Emma Watson named highest-grossing actress of decade; Gosselin divorce 'imminent'?
Next: LeeLee Sobieski welcomes baby girl; 'Runaways' trailer debuts online
Posted by: DCCubefarm | December 17, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: hodie | December 17, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 17, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: kvs09 | December 17, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 17, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: quintiliusvarus | December 17, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: epjd | December 17, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: EricS2 | December 17, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: hodie | December 17, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: hodie | December 17, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: northgs | December 17, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: WashingtonDame | December 17, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: aaron78600 | December 18, 2009 6:27 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: killerrob | December 24, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.