Posted at 4:01 PM ET, 12/20/2009

Brittany Murphy dead at 32

By Liz Kelly

Murphy at the 2002 premiere of '8 Mile.' (Reuters)

Updated 4:25 p.m. ET

The Associated Press reports that actress Brittany Murphy was declared dead Sunday morning at Los Angeles's Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. No cause of death has been provided.

An ambulance was called to the home of Murphy's husband, screenwriter Simon Monjack, following a 911 call. According to the Los Angeles Times, the LAPD has opened an official investigation into the circumstances surrounding Murphy's death.

A representative for Murphy, Nicole Perna, said in a statement to TMZ.com Sunday afternoon, "In this time of sadness, the family thanks you for your love and support. It is their wish that you respect their privacy."

Murphy appeared as a co-star in everything from "Clueless" to "8 Mile" to "Sin City" and starred opposite Ashton Kutcher in 2003's "Just Married." According to Perez Hilton, Murphy had recently been let go from an upcoming film "The Caller" for "being difficult on set."

On Nov. 28, Monjack was rushed to the hospital after arriving on a flight from Puerto Rico to LAX "incoherent."

Share your thoughts about Murphy below.

More:
Gallery: Brittany Murphy's life and career
Brittany Murphy at IMDB.com

By Liz Kelly  | December 20, 2009; 4:01 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Timeline: From 'Jon & Kate' to separate lives
Next: Coroner: Brittany Murphy's death 'appears natural'; Tila Tequila pregnant?

Comments

This news was way harsh. She's one of those people that I never considered myself a fan of, but thinking about it now I realize that I've seen lots of her work. I loved her cover of Queen's Somebody to Love on the Happy Feet soundtrack. And "Love and Other Disasters" was really an underrated movie. I saw it on a plane last year and thought it was wonderful.

Posted by: TigerLily81 | December 20, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Very sad news. All the best to her family.

Posted by: postfan1 | December 20, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Talk about unexpected. A very sad loss. :^(

Posted by: EricS2 | December 20, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

LOVED her in "King of the Hill" and "Freeway"

Posted by: mattfugazi | December 20, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

This is terrible news and I feel very sad for her family and friends.

As to her work, I really recommend "Uptown Girls". Really rather touching ending, and very well played throughout.

Posted by: thardman | December 20, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I've watched Ms. Murphy quite a bit, it's sad she's gone so soon.

Posted by: Civilius | December 20, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Did cocaine have anything to do with her death...one can't helpt but wonder?

Posted by: Boils | December 20, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

She was the most beautiful actress. I just looked through 46 photos of her and never got bored. I remember her in Girl, Interrupted. What happened?

Posted by: SusanMarie2 | December 20, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

You want to know WHY the LAPD has opened an official investigation into her death? BECAUSE SHE IS MARRIED TO AN INTERNATIONAL CON ARTIST, WHO HAS SWINDLED FORMER BUSINESS PARTNERS AND GIRLFRIENDS OUT HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. SIMON MONJACK, BRITISH, IS KNOWN TO HAVE USED A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT SOC.SEC. #'S.

HE WAS ALSO RECENTLY TAKEN OFF A PLANE INCOHERENT AT LAX AIRPORT. DRUGS.

HERE'S THE SCENARIO-SOMEONE STOOD TO GAIN A FORTUNE IN INSURANCE MONEY AND OTHER ASSETS IF BRITTNEY MURPHY "DIED"-OF AN "OD" ON COCAINE OR THE LIKE.

GUESS WHO THAT "SOMEONE" MIGHT BE.

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Interesting.I once knew an old guy(Frank) who lived in SO Cal in the early 1960's.A friend of Frank's back then in LA worked at the mortuary where Jen Harlow was layed out.He told Frank that the funeral home caught five different guys trying to sneak in to have sex with Harlow's corpse.

Posted by: hyroller56 | December 20, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Unexpected death in a young person raises the question of homicide. In all likelihood, there will be a natural cause of death uncovered, which the family will wish made known to dispel rumor.

Posted by: Martial | December 20, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

How sad. Unlike the previous poster, I am not as expertly informed on her personal life, but she was cute in movies and I loved King of the Hill.

I don't know about you, but I am going definitely take someone at their word who leaves comments in ALL CAPS. Surely you know of what you speak.

Posted by: spret07 | December 20, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Canned from her last film and cardiac arrest? Cocaine.

Posted by: oracle2world | December 20, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

COCAINE-SUPPLIED BY HER CON ARTIST SWINDLER HUSBAND, WHO STOOD TO GAIN MILLIONS FROM BRITTNEY'S DEATH. WHY WOULD THE LAPD IMMEDIATELY JUMP TO OPEN AN OFFICIAL INVESTIGATION INTO HER DEATH? BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAVE A HELL OF A LOT OF AMMO ON THE CON ARTIST/HUSBAND, THAT'S WHY.

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

From "the Hollywood GOSSIP" May 2007:

One of the rumors floating around the Internet: Simon Monjack is a manipulative con artist. Yeah. Some think this guy is as slimy as Spencer Pratt... and a crook to boot.

Who is this Simon Monjack character? Some of our fans seem to think they know ... and maybe wish they didn't. Here's a sampling of the comments we've received.

ANNONYMOUS writes:
Simon was married before has a daughter who lives in the UK with her mother.

SIMON (no relation) writes:
Simon is a con artist. He conned his last girlfriend out of her car and money. Left her with awful credit. Frequently uses different SS #'s. He left his other girlfriend in London with a $20,000 credit card bill she was unaware of until he was long gone. He is a master at lying. Brittany BEWARE!!!

SARA writes:
Simon Monjack has been married before and has taken women for every penny they had. He is a con man and bought his last finacee a fake diamond ring! He is bad news. Good luck Britney [sic].

EBERTO writes:
i can't belive brittany doesn't know any better! i have first hand knowledge of this guys grifter ways. everyhting that's being said above is %100 [sic] true!!

CHARLES writes:
Simon Monjack is a tremendous con artist, sociopath and thief. It is amazing that he is still on the loose and not in jail! He has conned women into giving him money, changed his phone number all the time (pretending he was important), he somehow lost his family's money on the truly horrific film "Two Days Nine Lives" and has been scrambling to catch a wealthy or at least connected women to open doors for him.

KATE writes:
The world is an unfortunate place because Simon Monjack is in it. He stalks J DATE (Jewish online dating service) for unsuspecting women and fools them with his charismatic personality, British accent, and pseudo wealth, in order to live off of their money. Simon's evil knows no bounds.

K writes:
Simon Monjack, still pulling a fast one. Now he has the money he has always desired. Brittany's. Didn't her people check him out? Poor thing, she is the next victim and he is smiling his usual manipulative smile. I hope she has very good attorneys. She will need them. Tragic.

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

TMZ says Brittany's mom told paramedics that BM had a history of diabetes. Her death might not be related to drugs or eating disorders.

Posted by: TigerLily81 | December 20, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

TIGER LILY-DIABETES AND FULL CARDIAC ARREST HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER-IF IT WAS DIABETES RELATED-SHED HAVE BEEN IN A COMA, NOT CARDIAC ARREST.

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

So someone in Hollywood that I have never heard of died. A tragedy for her family I suppose, but for the rest of us I ask the question - why should we care, and why is this news?

Posted by: jackrussell252521 | December 20, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

jack-I swear, NO ONE is forcing you to either read, or more importantly COMMENT ON THIS DEATH-SO BY VIRTUE OF THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE COMMENTED ON THIS DEATH, THAT YOU CARE ENOUGH TO TYPE OUT A RESPONSE, MUST MEAN THAT IT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU IN SOME WAY, RIGHT? IF IT IS NOT NEWS TO YOU, OR IMPORTANT, THEN GO AWAY, AND DON'T COME BACK-IDIOT!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

TMZ-REPORTING THAT THE CON ARTIST HUSBAND DOES NOT WANT AN AUTOPSY DONE OF HIS DEAD 32 YEAR OLD WIFE.

LA CORONER CAME RIGHT BACK AND SAID-"OH YES, WE WILL"

SUSPICIOUS, MUCH!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

schmetterlingtoo, perhaps you should hop on a plane out to LA to assist the police since you seem so incredibly informed on the specifics of these people's lives. And seriously, caps lock - give it a rest. It makes you sound insane.

Posted by: spret07 | December 20, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

schmetterlingtoo- Please stop shouting. All I'm saying is let's wait for the autopsy report.

Posted by: TigerLily81 | December 20, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

She was great in "Clueless" and held her own just fine with Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie in "Girl, Interrupted." Sad news.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 20, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Can you please not shout? (That is, type only in UPPER CASE LETTERS)

Maybe it is drug related, maybe it's not; but it's awful speculative to quickly jump to saying "cocaine" without knowing any better.

I'm still trying to figure out what "Murphy appeared as a co-star in everything from "Clueless" to "8 Mile" to "Sin City" means. What kind of range is that? Does it mean everything from comedy to tragedy to westerns to...every other type of movie? Or did the writer mean she's been in movies "as varied as "Clueless", "8 Mile" and "Sin City"? instead of "ranging from"?
I'm just trying to get some perspective.

dungarees@gmail.com

Posted by: Dungarees | December 20, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

schmetterlingtoo,

So what's with the ALL CAPS, bozo? You obviously have a bee up your butt about her husband, but your lack of posting etiquette makes you come off as a sociopathic loser. I'm just saying...

Posted by: hisroc | December 20, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

We’ll probably hear the typical Hollywood spiel that she took too much cough medicine, but it’s probably drugs.

Posted by: moebius22 | December 20, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Brittany Murphy dead at 32
_________

Who?

Posted by: WildBill1 | December 20, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

YOU'RE FULL OF IT, MOEBIUS-HER HUSBAND WAS ABOUT TO BE DEPORTED BEFORE BRITTNEY MARRIED THE CON ARTIST-I MEAN, NOT WANTING TO KNOW HOW YOUR 32 YEAR OLD WIFE DIED, HELLO??

LA CORONER NOT BUYING THIS CON ARTIST'S BS! IT MAY WELL BE AN OD, BUT AN OD FROM THE HUSBAND WHO WANTS INSURANCE MONEY!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

TMZ is killing the AP in its reporting

Posted by: Dave415 | December 20, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

PS. GO BACK UP AND READ THE COMMENTS THAT I POSTED FROM HOLLYWOOD GOSSIP-THE LAST ONE-ABOUT BRITTNEY "NEEDING LAWYERS..TRAGIC" IF THAT WASN'T A PROPHETIC POST BACK IN 2007, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

MAY 2007 POST TO THE HOLLYWOOD GOSSIP-PROPHETIC!

K writes:

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Schmetterlingtoo, let's all take a deep breath. No need to get libelous.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | December 20, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Wow, its BKD. On a Sunday. Must be cabin fever.

Posted by: epjd | December 20, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, Liz is a lawyer now, telling us what is "libelous" and what isn't-uh, think again Liz! This is all old news about the husband!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

P.S. AND I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU WERE AN IDIOT TOO, LIZ, AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE POST CONTINUES TO EMPLOY YOU-

NOW, DO YOU WANT TO WITHHOLD MY COMMENT?

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

oooh, LIZ DELETED MY COMMENT!

Posted by: schmetterlingtoo | December 20, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Really sad to hear this news.. I liked her alot.. did not know much of her private life.. which was her own.. my heart goes out to her family and loved ones.. truly sorry for your loss.. she will be missed... it's a shame.. she was so young.. great loss...

Posted by: cparaskoulakis | December 20, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

schmetterlingtoo,

I must correct my previous posting to you. You are not just coming off as a sociopathic loser. Your postings have confirmed the characterization beyond any doubt.

Posted by: hisroc | December 20, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

schmetterlingtoo, time to put some pants on and come on out of your Brittany Murphy shrine in your parents' basement and join the real world. In other words, go away and get a life.

Also, lower-case letters called and they miss you.

Posted by: spret07 | December 20, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Drugs get the best of you my dear??

Posted by: rpcv84 | December 20, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Wow, her death was unexpected, she was so young. I loved her in Clueless and as "Luanne". I hope it was due to natural causes and not anything sinister. :(

Posted by: Guest1234 | December 20, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand "her husband's house" - why isn't this her house? What married couple talks like that?

Posted by: Ebola_22039 | December 20, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Just thought I'd check the comments before I went to bed and NEVER thought I would come upon what I believe is our first BKD on a Sunday!!

And Liz, I LOVE YOU!!

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 20, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

shmetterlingtoo -Diabetes does not only result in comas. Diabetic comas are usually caused by high blood sugar. However, if blood sugar becomes extremely low...you can have seizures. Seizures are stressful on the body. Some people are extemely unaware of low blood sugar. Diabetes can also place great strain on ones heart, kidneys and other organs. Leading to catastrophic organ failure.

Posted by: resugirl | December 21, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Drugs

Posted by: Mickey2 | December 21, 2009 3:14 AM | Report abuse

the heat is off tigre luck bastard lol

Posted by: rulie909 | December 21, 2009 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to speak ill of the dead, but she always made me uncomfortable. I think it was her mildly Bobcat-Goldthwaitian mannerisms.

Posted by: sarahabc | December 21, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Didn't she go on Letterman and say that Ashton Kutcher had a tiny dick?

I thought that was really classless.

Posted by: chunche | December 21, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse