Posted at 7:41 AM ET, 12/22/2009

Brittany Murphy's autopsy results deferred; Tom Cruise sued for alleged spying

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Cause of death determination in Brittany Murphy case could take six weeks... "Destroyed" Simon Monjack talks to "Access Hollywood," says Murphy had been sick... Tom Cruise sued for alleged wiretapping... Taylor Swift voted AP entertainer of the year... Britney Spears ranks the top B.S. stories written about her in 2009... Alec Baldwin used butt double in new movie... FBI release of Michael Jackson documents stalled by snowstorm... Boy George headed to court in bid to appear on "Celebrity Big Brother"... Howard Stern threatens to leave satellite radio... Lisa Loeb debuts eyewear line... Carrie Underwood engaged to NHL player... Pay to party with the cast of "Jersey Shore."

Video: Jessica Simpson posts ear-candling video to Twitter:

More: Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise's "Knight and Day" trailer debuts.

Crime Watch: California appeals court denies Roman Polanski's bid for case dismissal.

Rumor Mill: Large cache of prescription drugs reportedly found in Brittany Murphy's bedroom; Murphy left bulk of estate to mother... Jay-Z and Beyonce officially change their names to Shawn Knowles-Carter and Beyonce Knowles Carter.

By Liz Kelly  | December 22, 2009; 7:41 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A fond farewell: Celebs we lost in 2009
Next: Alyssa Milano gets 'Jersey Shore'-ified

Comments

The LL Collection! Never have I been so motivated to schedule an appointment (very overdue) with my optometrist! Woohoo!

Posted by: CentreOfNowhere1 | December 22, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Her husband is so "destroyed" he goes on Access Hollywood?

Well, then I'm glad she left her estate to her mom.

Posted by: wadejg | December 22, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Taylor Swift entertainer of the year? It must've been a pretty boring year.

Alec Baldwin used butt double in new movie...Sadly this has been the biggest role that Billy Baldwin's gotten in years.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 22, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise sued for alleged wiretapping.

They've denied it, but I wouldn't even believe Wee Tom if he claimed the Sun rose this morning, unless I had independent corroborating reliable evidence.

Alec Baldwin used butt double in new movie.

Probably in everyone's best interests.

Pay to party with the cast of "Jersey Shore."

I'd think people would be more likely to pay NOT to.

Jessica Simpson posts ear-candling video

Doc Hodie, please post medical information on why this is such a totally stupid, not to mention potentially harmful, practice.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Jessica Simpson posts ear-candling video

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009

***********************************

This would only seem to be a problem if there were anything on the other side of the ear canal to harm. Jessica is in the clear there.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 22, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Boy George headed to court in bid to appear on "Celebrity Big Brother"

Coming next to a courtroom near you: The Salahis sue to appear on "Real Housewives."

Lisa Loeb debuts eyewear line.

Anyone old enough to recall when wearing eyeglasses was considered unfashionable (to put it kindly) may find it heartening whenever a celeb or fashion designer attaches their name to the promotion of eyewear. Was it Sophia Loren who began this trend, or was there someone earlier? People should not need to feel ashamed to wear corrective eyewear in order to be able to see better, or protective sunglasses to protect their eyes from sun damage.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

FBI release of Michael Jackson documents stalled by snowstorm.

And yet a package I sent to Maine on Friday by 1st class mail arrived on Monday.

Jessica Simpson posts ear-candling video.

Does she add more wax to her ears?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey, yellojkt, I finally caught the holiday-gift epi of "Big Bang Theory" last night. Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for the earlier recommendation.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

that wasn't a wiretap, that was a thetan monitor.

yes, I often express my grief over a loved one by going on a tabloid tv show to establish the cover story.

At least Britney seems to have a sense of humor about things.

Posted by: epjd | December 22, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

ep
thetan monitor

SPLOOT, tea all over the computer screen. Oh well, it needed a good cleaning anyhow.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Six weeks? On CSI they'd have it solved in 42 minutes. Surely David Caruso could take some time from his Xmas break to help solve this mystery?

Here's hoping that Boy George makes it to "Celebrity Big Brother" and that his room has one of those big old radiators in it.

"Pay to party with the cast of 'Jersey Shore.'" (High bidder also gets a t-shirt that says, "Dumbest F*** In America.")

I can't get over how far in JSimp pushes the wick in that ear-candling video...

... but I'd still sooner watch it than watch Cameron and Wee Tom's movie trailer.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 22, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 22, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ja, but what could the clever plot twist be? Sounds more like a Law & Order gig. Does LL design sunglasses?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 22, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

You guys hit all the good ones.

Dorkus everyone (except Kanye) knows that Taylor Swift is the Entertainer of the Millenium. (Irony courtesy of "Demolition Man".)

"Snowstorm" is the FBI code word for "we can't release them because they prove he's not dead."

Howard Stern threatens to leave sattelite radio, causing sattelite radio stock to rise precipitously.

I thought Tina Fey already put the sexy in eyeglasses.

Sorry Roman, California constitution prohibits any legal activities that deny Californians the right to appear on TV. Especially if someone will actually watch.

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 22, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

If I had been running the sound board, I would have queued up the Rolling Stones:

Ahh, look at me
I'm a shattered
Shh-Doobee

Pride and joy and greed and sex
That's what makes this town the best
Pride and joy and dirty dreams still surviving on the street
And look at me. I'm in tatters
I've been battered. What does it matter?
Does it matter, uh-huh?
I've been shattered.
Shh-Doobee.

---------------------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 22, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace "Gloria" (Alaina Reed-Amini.)

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 22, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Jessica Simpson's head have collapsed as the candle removed all the air?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 22, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Sas, a little scientific knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I am struck by the irony of Boy George, himself arrested for confining someone, joining the cast of a show where EVERYONE is confined and on purpose. After his past cocaine use and then that arrest, I would call this Mistake Number 3.

And Howard Stern has more money than God thanks to his satellite deal a few years back. But what would our beloved F@rtman DO if he weren't on satellite? Be Alec Baldwin's butt double for his NEXT movie? What world is left to shock?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 22, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Can we add double-hyphenating names to the signs a couple is on its way to splitsville?

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 22, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Robert Eatman, the agent for Sirius talents Opie & Anthony and rapper Nick Cannon, agreed that Stern is 'probably not worth' $500 million to Sirius now."

- "Eatman" is a perfect name for an agent.

- Opie & Anthony are "talents?"

- Nick Cannon is a "rapper?"

- If so, Eatman is a very good agent.

"Britney Spears ranks the top B.S. stories written about her in 2009..."

- Three of the stories she thinks are B.S. were the topless videos (which actually exist,) reports of fans walking out of her concerts (which actually happened) and reports of empty seats (which were actually empty.)

Perhaps her actual career is B.S.

"Jessica Simpson posts ear-candling video to Twitter"

- No thanks. I'll wait for her to Tweet her second degree burns and eardrum damage.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 22, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Not to mention the fact, reddragon1, that his name is hyphenated but hers isn't? What is THAT about? The DMV must go crazy with stuff like this on licenses.

Lisa Loeb. That song of hers from "Reality Bites" was what, 15 years ago? Talk about milking a tiny sliver of fame. More power to her really. Imagine if she'd worn contacts the day she filmed that "Stay" video. Again, good for her.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 22, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Ha -- horrible, yes, but I originally read that Brit Murphy left her estate to her mother, Jay-Z, and Beyonce! And my first thought was, I didn't even know she knew Jay-Z and Beyonce!

Also, why was it important for Simpson to post that video to twitter? Was it just to try to keep herself in the public eye, so to speak? What's next, a video of her going to the bathroom?

Posted by: MrsKerin | December 22, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

mdreader, those weren't empty seats.... they were just cleverly disguised fans.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 22, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

RIP, Arnold Stang.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

td,

Obviously, someone has taken her hyphen.

Did you see your heartthrob Ms. Cruz on the Sunday Parade knockoff mag?

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 22, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrsKerin | December 22, 2009 11:30 AM
=============
Absolutely. I think candling Tweets are the gateway to enema Tweets.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 22, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

redragon1, I did see Penelope on the cover. (And may I add that the "Nine" photo inside was of particular merit as well.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 22, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Brit Murphy didn't leave the "bulk" of her estate to her mom, she left the whole lot. Lovely. Husband will sue, of course, but it doesn't seem she's been working on anything very lucrative since their marriage, so half marital assets shouldn't give him a whole lot.

Thanks Sas, I'll have Shattered in my head all day!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 22, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

cat
half marital assets shouldn't give him a whole lot.

Except, one supposes, the satisfaction of less of Brittany's estate going to her mother due to the legal fees she'll have to pay to fight him in court.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

There is that. On the other hand, she was either living with or staying with them, so perhaps they have a good relationship and she'll make a settlement. But we can dream, right? He sounds like a piece of work.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 22, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps he's familiar with Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps he's familiar with Jarndyce vs. Jarndyce.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 3:29 PM |
==================
Now that's looking at the situation with a Jarndyced eye.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 22, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

mdreader
a Jarndyced eye.

My computer keyboard is so glad I was between cups of tea when I read that.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Arnold Stang obit:

More Lizards are probably familiar with some of his work than they realize.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 22, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Hitting the road tomorrow for family Christmas. Wishing all the denizens of Lizard Island a joyful holiday, whichever you may celebrate!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 22, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I've known Brittany Murphy since I worked with her on Clueless and continued to be acquainted with her over the past several years. She is a lovely young woman, full of grace, kindness and was a ray of sunshine on every movie set or charity event that I've ever encountered with her. I'm deeply saddened and shocked by her death. I'm also angry at the insensitive comments left by some anonymous people accusing her of drug abuse. Brittany has had health issues in the past. Before everyone jumps to conclusions, can we just wait until the autopsy results are in? Can we please allow the family to grieve? Authorities agree that it "APPEARS" that she died of natural causes. I would ask that posters please show compassion. I would ask that people be respectful of the family, especially her fantastic mother, Sharon. My prayers go out to Brittany and her loved ones during this horrible tragedy. God bless you Brittany, you are already tremendously loved and missed.

Respectfully,