Posted at 11:26 AM ET, 12/14/2009

The most over-exposed celebs of 2009: The vote

By Liz Kelly

Updated 7 a.m. ET, Dec. 15: We have our winner! Jon Gosselin is officially the most-over exposed celeb of 2009!

------

Surely Heidi Montag's (here with husband Spencer Pratt) Playboy spread contributed to some over-exposure. (Getty Images)

Last Friday I asked you to submit your nominees for the most over-hyped celebs of 2009 whose 15 minutes seemed to stretch into hours or whose attention seemed to outpace their merit. And you responded with a robust list of rogues (and rogue-ettes), from the expected (Octo-mom Nadya Suleman -- "Freakish irresponsible fertility treatments doesn't make you a celebritology," commented ssg3) to the surprising (Suri Cruise? "It's not that the little darling doesn't deserve attention... it's that we should be deeply ashamed for scrutinizing the social activities and wardrobe of a three year old child," said nominator Caitlin 41282). But which should take top honors as the most over-hyped? Today we put it to a vote with a ranking poll. I've whittled the list down to the 10 most-nominated below. Rank them as you see fit and by the end of the day, we'll have crowned this year's Most Over-Hyped Celebrity.

By Liz Kelly  | December 14, 2009; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  Awards Season, Celebrities, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tiger dumped by Accenture; Angelina Jolie's Facebook pals
Next: Jon Gosselin most-overhyped name of 2009; Courtney Love loses custody of daughter

Comments

I'm pretty sure if Lady Gaga was more exposed it would answer a few internet rumors.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 14, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I see that one of Angelina's Facebook Friends is Catherine Zeta-Jones. I think you should take this opportunity to pry Ms. Zeta-Jones away from the old prune husband of hers.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 14, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I have trouble believing half these people are truly "celebrities," esp. those unremarkable Kardashians. One could argue that only Michael Jackson and maybe Lady Gaga fit the bill. Yet I put the Gosselins at the top of the list, so. . . .

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 14, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, please look in today's Eye on Entertainment picture gallery for an excellent picture of Caterine Zeta-Jones. And note that you can Zoom in on those pictures.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 14, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm just wondering if you can even consider these reality stars as celebrities? Yes, they're well-known but celebrated? Hardly.

Posted by: charley42 | December 14, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Checked the voting and the cumulative vote is wrong. Here is the right order and why: 1 Octomom and 2 Levi because their major talent, to put it crudely, is between their legs. Levi is a little farther down the list because he does have the talent of annoying the Palin machine.
Jon, because in spite of an emotional age on par with Levi, did father some good looking kids for Kate to abuse. Next the Kardashians, because they have no known talent, but are too vacuous to hate. Heincer, obvious. Kate because she has some talent but does not use it except in a twisted, self-serving way. Lady Gaga, because "she" after all has had an audience with the Queen. The REAL Queen.
Sarah Palin, who has more talent, but it's misplaced. Hope Obama sent her a properly-wrapped box of chocolate "moose droppings". MJ, because even tho he was horribly overhyped and I nommed him for #1, actually had quite a bit of talent. Tiger, because we can no longer say he's best at a hole-in-one.

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 14, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Red,

When I think of "over exposed" I don't think in terms of worthiness. If I voted that way, Heincer would be at the top of my list.

No, I think of sheer, unrelenting, media coverage. Added points if the "celebrity" is doing everything in his/her power to keep the coverage going on and on.

That's what dropped Michael Jackson down. Had to take away points because...well, he died and I can no longer blame him for prolonging the media circus he created.

As for Levi, he gets points for trying to stoke the media, but he isn't in it as frequently as a certain couple who used every trick: books, lawsuits, guest host appearances, love interests, real estate agents, other hinky celebrities and a self-help rabbi to keep the train rolling.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 14, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, you have a good point. I was not quite as literal in my interpretation of "overhyped." In that case I'd have to put Kate ahead of Jon, because he, at least ostensibly, is in favor of less coverage. Where is our legal team??

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 14, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

This was tough. Some got just the right amount of coverage or didn't annoy. Others I had trouble figuring out who annoyed more and I wanted to go away NOW.

Posted by: epjd | December 14, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

You skipped Obama and his Mrs.

Posted by: tru-indy | December 14, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I used a sort of fluid metric of talentlessness, persistence, and my desire to see the person Just. Go. Away. to do my rank. Thus, Heincer first, for negative talent, way too much persistence, and a nasty attitude. Then Jon, Kate, Octomom, the Kardashians (who on reflection deserved a higher ranking), Levi, Tiger, Sarah, Gaga, and finally MJ, since he was talented and did in fact go away.

I would substitute those horrible Salahi people for Sarah Palin. Love her or hate her, she's a legitimate political figure. The Salahis broke federal law in an effort to get famous, and appear prepared to milk it. They also have accountability-avoidance issues. Disgusting.

Posted by: northgs | December 14, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

You skipped Obama and his Mrs.

Posted by: tru-indy | December 14, 2009 3:55 PM
========
According to our very own Jezebel, only their farts are covered by the media as celeb events. Everything else is standard issue for an American President and his wife.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 14, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Can't we have 10 for #1? They all deserve it.

Posted by: jackdmom | December 14, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Reddragon1 says that Kate G "has some talent .."

Really? Talent at what? Tears shedding talent? Whining talent? Hairdo talent maybe. No, self promotion talent. At that, she is the master...

Posted by: sarahbonnie1 | December 15, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

All celebrities are overexposed, IMO. I guess I just don't get why people care what those folks do.

Posted by: jackrussell252521 | December 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

No question, the Gosselins, both of them. The mid-year blitz of media attention had millions of people asking "Who?" How many people actually watched their show, a couple of million? In a country of over 300 million?

And Lady Gaga, yet another disco singer to prove that disco never died, but at this late a date, the street-walker look, loud hair, and flamboyant behavior is just old and predictable. I mean Madonna hit almost thirty years ago, and her notoreity always outdid her actual talent. But there will always be young kids who think it's all new and an immature enough adult population to keep the latest pop star for kids at the top of the heap long after their shelf date has come due. As exhibit A, I give you Britney Spears, still taking up air time long after she should have been retired, lip-synching in concert because she just isn't really much of a singer.

Posted by: curtb | December 15, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Who is Jon Gosselin? Who are ANY of these jerks?

Posted by: dotyr | December 15, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Who is Jon Gosselin?

Posted by: dotyr | December 15, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

never heard of most of these feminine hygiene products and had to look them up. Anyone following the Congo war? Whats his name died in Afghanistan today but that's not reality TV anymore so who cares right?

Posted by: horace1 | December 15, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse