Posted at 11:23 AM ET, 12/ 2/2009

Tiger's Tale: Worth telling?

By Liz Kelly

Tiger Woods and wife Elin Nordegren in October. (AFP/Getty Images)

In the space of a week, Tiger Woods has gone from a reputation of sterling untouchability -- not just a sports star, but the very definition of celebrity done right -- to the top of the paparazzi target list.

What we know is that Woods was injured in an accident last Friday at his Florida home. We know that cops won't file charges, but that Woods and his wife Elin Nordegren have, so far, refused (as is their right) to speak with the police to answer questions about the events leading up to Tiger's one-car incident.

Perhaps worse is the slow-motion wreck unfolding online as as-yet unsubstantiated claims of extra-marital affairs have piled up in no time flat. First with the National Enquirer outing alleged Tiger mistress Rachel Uchitel (who RadarOnline now claims Woods flew to Australia for a tryst), then "Tool Academy" alumna/cocktail waitress Jamiee Grubbs, who today released an alleged voicemail from Tiger warning that his wife may call her, so please "take your name off your voicemail."

(Aside: If the tape is indeed Tiger, how stupid is this guy to leave a voicemail starting "Hey, it's Tiger." Duh.)

And until today, Tiger remained silent, referring only once to the accident as a "private matter" and not (yet) addressing allegations about his extracurricular life. In a new statement, in which Woods admits to "transgressions," he writes:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves."

Woods goes on:

"But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions."

But is a Web site statement really enough and does the public deserve the confession Tiger seems unwilling to give? He built a reputation as the bright-eyed boy -- and scored some major sponsorships off that rep. Nike believed in him; we believed in him. We deserve to know why it was so easy for him to let us down. As reported in the Wall Street Journal, Woods's online "buzz rating" -- as measured by media-analysis firm Zeta Interactive -- was 91 percent positive prior to the accident. In less than a week, he's dropped to 74 percent positive, 26 percent negative. Clearly, we are hurt.

Jason Maloni, who heads up the sports and entertainment subpractice at Levick Strategic Communications doesn't think written statements go far enough to repair the damage already done to Tiger's reputation.

"What he needs to do is address this, and not alone, but with his wife by his side," said Maloni in a phone interview this morning. "She's a big part of this and can be a big part of getting Tiger past this."

But writing in today's Washington Post (before the release of Woods's latest statement), Ruth Marcus posits that speaking out is the last thing Tiger should do. Comparing him to newly-minted D.C. faux-lebrities Tariq and Michaele Salahi, Marcus writes:

Woods is the converse of the loathsome White House party-crashers. They crave celebrity and seem willing to do anything, no matter how humiliating, to obtain it. He is drowning in celebrity and craves privacy -- so much, in fact, that he chose it as the name for his 155-foot yacht. He likes to scuba dive, he once said, because "the fish don't know who I am."

Which might have been spot on advice if Tiger had indeed been the mere victim of an Internet crapstorm. But, since it's looking increasingly likely that there's some grain of truth in the midst of the sensational headlines, hasn't Tiger risked his love of privacy for what may amount to be some fleeting fun? And, in that case, does he forfeit his right to kiss and not tell?

As Maloni points out, several other high profile men have weathered infidelitous media storms and come through the other side -- Eliott Spitzer and Bill Clinton, to name two.
You tell me... what should Tiger do?

By Liz Kelly  | December 2, 2009; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  Insta-Polls, Tiger Woods
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kate Gosselin, Lady Gaga make 'Most Fascinating' list; Alleged Tiger Woods voicemail released
Next: Beyonce tops Grammy noms; Alleged Tiger Woods mistress to speak out today

Comments

OMG. I'm agreeing with the 99.9% of the time craptastic Ruth Marcus.

I need a long hot shower.

Posted by: grog00 | December 2, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

He wanted privacy he should have just golfed. He did all those endorsements, tv commercials and interviews. He went to Stanford, he is smart enough to know that with fame comes intrusion.

Of course, there was an easy way to avoid this and do the sponsorships --- KEEP HIS PANTS ZIPPED. Having an affair is a volitional act meaning it takes some effort on one's part. Therefore, he could have not done it. In fact, not having an affair is less effort than having one.

Posted by: epjd | December 2, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

no, he has to speak a la kobe bryant, altho' criminal charges were an issue in that matter. when you hold yourself out as a paragon of virtue and it turns out you're anything but, then you better get ahead of the story instead of letting the story get ahead of you. woods's advisors were just terrible. they handled this in the worst possible way. and he's an idiot to leave voicemails, texts w/sexual context, etc. complete moron. led by his you know what. and there's a photo today on tmz ( i know, i know), of him in a las vegas bar around 1:30am with a woman not his wife, looking very comfy and cozy. a happily married guy isn't out at the bars w/other women at 1 in the morning. and a happily married guy isn't leaving his house for now reason at 2:30 am. not unless you're being chased by a furious, golf club swinging wife, who has just scratched the #$@#)$(* out of your face. that's why we haven't seen him. needs to let it heal. i admired him greatly. not so much anymore. not every behavior is excusable. my guess is there are many more women out there.

Posted by: frieda406 | December 2, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The script for getting through this is pretty well set: step up to the mike with your wife at your side, apologize profusely, then hunker down at home, emerging only to excel at your career. Don't make a statement without your wife, don't use the kids as newfound "See, I'm a family man!" props, don't go to social events unless your wife is superglued to your side. If Tiger needs more advice, he can call his friends Michael Jordan and Alex Rodriguez for pointers.

Posted by: northgs | December 2, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"We deserve to know why it was so easy for him to let us down."

Says who?

I'm confused by this whole idea...

A] That he should have come clean about the accident which might have put his wife and mother of his two children...IN JAIL...

and

B] That he owes the public an explanation.

You didn't elect him. He is an athlete, and not the first to cheat on his wife...

Do all athletes who cheat on their wives and have endorsements owe the public an explanation?

The ONLY person whose opinion as to his reputation that is important is his wife...and maybe the corporate sponsors, but this flap won't keep people away...if anything it'll increase interest in watching him play...

Posted by: squatty2 | December 2, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Tiger needs to tell the public anything. He's not an elected official in whom the public has placed trust. He's just a star athlete whose skills people have admired. The fact that a star athlete has disappointed his or her fans because his private life is less than stellar is nothing new, just tabloid fodder. He doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

Posted by: Sailing6Seas | December 2, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Mr Maloni that Tiger needs to address it, but I disagree with him on the other - I think Tiger should stand up ALONE and own up to his actions. Having "his wife by his side" would just be nauseating.
['Twould be nice if I had some clever poem or joke about this to share, but alas I must rely on the creative genius of other Lizards.]

Posted by: agog1 | December 2, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

step one has to be tiger keeping his putter away from his fans...

step 2 is very much up to the wife... your wife is, theoretically, your best friend. Anyone who does that to their best friend is not someone who deserves a "91% Buzz approval rating" (whatever the hell that is).

Personally? I suggest she take half and move on... then he can go back to playing golf - by and large a sport for people just like this.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | December 2, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

As Celebritologists, of course we think he needs to speak out. We all want the full dirt. And it's more fascinating because we didn't have any to talk about before. By contrast, who cares how many affairs Paris Hilton has had. She's so open about it.

We could tell (from the car commercials if nothing else) that the Tiger was (is?) considered hawt, and no doubt has had many offers for female company. It's disappointing, though not surprising, that he didn't turn them all down.

But our only RIGHT to know what happened stems from any damage to the fire hydrant (and a possibly questionable 911 call) to which he has already admitted responsibility.

If he loses the Nike endorsement, maybe Trojans will come calling (and I don't mean the California football team).

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 2, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

PS If anyone finds out Elin needs consoling, just let me know...

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 2, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

According to Marcus, Tiger has an "attitude of churlish entitlement." What kind of attitude should he have, having been hailed as the savior of golf since he was in his early twenties? He's handled his talent and all its attendant pressure with uncommon grace for one so young. We made him a demi-god, and now are offended to learn that he's human.

Do I approve of his affairs? No. I'm disappointed in him. He's right to offer his fans an apology (however belated). But he does not owe us a recitation of his sins, nor should he put Elin through the humiliation of being yet another betrayed spouse to stand silently by her man as he publicly confesses. As accustomed as we've become to public airing of dirty laundry, the details, in fact, are none of our business.

Posted by: chantooz | December 2, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't give a rat's a$s.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 2, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I for one say that Tiger owes us a complete explanation. Tiger was supposed to be a solid family man with strong values who played the game well. His talent and persona on and off the fairway led me to place my trust in him. Because of Tiger I bought a Buick Rendezvous only to find out he really drives an Escalade. I'm just not sure if I will ever be able to trust anything another celebrity says.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 2, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't really have an opinion; I'm just enjoying the show.

I think I miss the days when Americans were discreet about their indiscretions. It's crappy that Tiger stepped out on his wife with, apparently, a sequence of showy blondes with big lungs, but it's also equally crappy that they are all coming forward now to spill all the details.

Really, I get this image of Mrs. Tiger trying to go upside his head with his favorite golf club and it kind of makes me chuckle.

I agree with epjd, all of this was totally avoidable. I hope he is mature enough to examine his behavior and to try and understand why he undermined his own marriage with what appears to be compulsive affairs. What was gained (mometary thrills) is small in comparison to what has been lost.

Welcome to the age of TMZ, Tiger.

Posted by: NW_Washington | December 2, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm still waiting for the fire hydrant and the tree to make a statement.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 2, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah he should tell more, tell about his cats, dogs and even his pet salamander - I need more details, my life is sooooooooooooo boring, I need information about teh demise of others to make me feel better. Please make me feel better, I need it - did I mention I am pathetic.....and dont forget to put out a full list of what is in his garbage can, since i am sure he has no-frills products in there.

Posted by: J_thinks | December 2, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

hey, update pls. there's now a third 'other woman' and the housing complex guards sold the photos to TMZ. lots missing from your post.

Posted by: nancyjeanmail | December 2, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

omg dorkus... that was genius

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | December 2, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Tiger's lucky there isn't a Ken Starr coming out from under a rock to spend millions upon millions of taxpayer dollars on investigating something that is a private family matter.

Posted by: Californian11 | December 2, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Ruth Marcus: "Woods is the converse of the loathsome White House party-crashers."

"Converse"? That's going to get the attention of the folks at Nike...

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 2, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

The point is, Tiger Woods isn't just a man--he's one of the most famous brands in the world. He's traded on his brand attributes to amass a fortune in endorsements far in excess of anything he's earned on the PGA Tour. He's been building that brand ever since his dad took him onto the Tonight Show as a tot to demonstrate his golfing prowess to Bob Hope. And that brand is not enhanced by having affairs with women (two so far) who are best described as skanky. He's got a lot of work to do to repair his marketability at this point, unless he simply decides to say "Screw it."

Posted by: jhpurdy | December 2, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't give a rat's a$s.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 2, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Are you people insane? The only person Tiger owes an explaination & apology to is his wife. He didn't cheat on us. This is a huge violation & humiliation for her without having it plastered across the entire internet.

Forget getting Tiger through this. His only concern should be his wife and her feelings right now. And for anybody to say that she should stand next to him publicly so he looks better is insanity. This is absolutely devestating to her. For Elin's sake, leave them alone.

Posted by: pghgirl | December 2, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, pghgirl. I'd add Tiger and Elin's greatest concern right now should be for their children, who are utterly blameless in this entire matter.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Here's the deal, Mainstream Media:

I know you haven't really risen above a tabloid or high school locker room mentality - it's all about who's doing it with who, when, how and where.

Most of us, though, could really give a cr@p about plain old marital infidelity. If Tiger was unfaithful to his wife, well, that's between him and his wife.

It's wasted resources - in column space (virtual or paper) and in reporting time. There are so many other things that are going on in the world right now that Tiger Woods having an affair is big news? Gimme a break.

Most of these mega athletes and celebrities live such weird lives. Everything they do every minute of the day is under scrutiny. Unless every one of those reporting on Tiger's marital woes is squeaky clean, I suggest they dial it back. Everyone is flawed, but not everyone has to have camera's watching them everywhere they go or have your accident-post-argument blasted across the global press. I'm so tired of reading about it.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | December 2, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Tiger is not married with an American Women but a Swedish one. I doubt she will/should stick by him. She should take her half a billion dollars, the two kids and go back to Sweden where live is much nicer anyways.

Posted by: atybat | December 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the sentiment here is correct. If Tiger was just going to play golf, then he owes no one an explanation other than his wife. But he chose to become a brand and to market himself in order to become as rich as he is. Therefore he owes it to the companies he represents to explain his actions, which should involve an explanation to the public to restore trust. I wouldn't trust a celebrity endorsement from someone who has a reputation for hiding away from bad news.

Posted by: mskidz | December 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mskidz | December 2, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

It's stupid to trust ANY celebrity endorsement, bozo.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Why is this news? The guy hasn't admitted to do anything specifically. He hasn't apologized for anything specifically. All we have are a bunch of people with no lives who want to invent stuff.

Posted by: wlockhar | December 2, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

If I could have selected two options there, I would have -- I think he is entitled to his privacy, BUT unless it's really heinous (moreso than the rumor mill could possibly cook up), the fact that he's staying mum is probably going to make the public think something far worse than actually happened, which will probably damage his reputation more than whatever it is he actually did.

Posted by: forget@menot.com | December 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so Tiger 'owes us an explanation' because he accepted endorsement deals from a number of advertisers? What if he withdraws from those deals to save the advertisers embarrasment and sticks to just playing golf for his income, could he keep his private life private then?

I think everyone is missing something here. The advertisers didn't choose Tiger because he's such a great guy. They chose him because he is one of the most recognizable people in the world. If anyone chose to believe this meant he was some sort of living saint then those people are destined for disappointment daily.

Posted by: jes11 | December 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

he's turned this into death by a thousand cuts. drip, drip, drip. he should have gotten ahead of the story and he didn't. by choosing to remain silent, he allowed the blogs and internet universe to go wild w/the story. it's a sad day when the truth comes from tmz, for pete's sake. the public desire to know people's business is almost insatiable. a factor in princess diana's death. a least he's not an elected official and we won't have millions of our hard earned dollars wasted on an investigation. he should fire his advisors.

Posted by: frieda406 | December 2, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tiger, take your money and your family find yourself a nice peaceful country to live in because the "holier than thou" morons in America are going to harass you about this for the rest of your life.. get out now and reconfirm to your wife and children your love for all of them.

Posted by: VietVet68 | December 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm with jezebel on this one. I don't care and Tiger owes me nothing. Whether or not he "comes clean" to the public will not make one difference in whether or not I buy any product he endorses. It will be much easier for him to repair damage done to his wife and family if everyone minds their own business. Despite that, I do believe one reaps what they sow.

Posted by: hodie2 | December 2, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

He effed up but unlike the others he's not an elected official preaching about values and virtue. he's admitted to transgressions which means he cheated so now he can move on. Wither he stays married or not is up to him and his wife now. Gonna be chilly in Orlando this Christmas though.

Posted by: FLvet | December 2, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Whoever said that life will be better for Elin and the kids in Sweden has never spent a winter there. SHE should keep the estate in Florida and send Tiger to Sweden. Maybe that will cool hin off, and oh, by the way, perhaps Bjorn Borg, another notorious swordsman, can give him some advice.

Posted by: socaloralpleazer | December 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure sending Tiger to a land known for it's bikini team is the best idea at the moment.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 2, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

And his sponsors are standing by him. I am SO proud to live in a country where you can pretend to be one thing, reap $1 billion in endorsements because of it, but really be a serial adulterer, cheating on your wife and kids for YEARS, and STILL be considered a worthy spokesman for corporate America. So proud.

Posted by: retabroad | December 2, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't give a rat's a$s.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 2, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The guy is a serial adulterer and a fraud. Doesn't that matter to anyone? What he's done to his family? Elin should not help him get past this. Rather,she should take half of everything he has. This was not a one night stand. He's been cheating with multiple women for YEARS.

Posted by: retabroad | December 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but the guy can still play a great round of golf.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 2, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Tiger a fraud? I think not. Now, the Salahis are frauds.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

How someone so obsessed with privacy and control could conduct an extramarital affair with text messaging and voice mail is almost beyond comprehension. How did he expect to keep the secrets? No one would ever tell because it's TIGER?? Guess it speaks to the hubris and arrogance of the man. Oh yeah, cheating on your pregnant wife is really, really bad form. You need sex that badly? Very selfish.

Posted by: SackMan | December 2, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus
Yeah but the guy can still play a great round of golf.

Good thing Elin didn't whack him on the knee with that golf club.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Tiger is a fraud because he manufactured an image to trade upon for endorsement money, all the while actually being something completely different. So, yes, he is a fraud.

Posted by: retabroad | December 2, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

oh, I forgot to snark...

eeny, meany, miney, moe, catch a Tiger by his ....um...toe?

Posted by: hodie2 | December 2, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, retabroad, Harsh much? It must be tough to be as perfect as you, so you can cast all those stones with impunity.

I certainly condemn adultery, but marital fidelity is not a bona fide occupational requirement for (most) product endorsements.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Reading through the comments is an exercise in virtual turd hopping. There are some excellent nuggets of snark, but one has to avoid many piles to find the nuggets.

Buick Rendezvous! Excellent, Dorkus.

And the Bard Byoolin comes through with the usual excellence on Nike and Converse. For now, we'll conveniently ignore Nike's ownership of Converse.

I've got a call in to Michelle Singletary to find out if it would be okay for me to re-gift if Jezebel ever gives me a rat's ass.

And Nosy's observation about the relationship marital fidelity and product endorsement leads me to speculate whether we'll soon see celebrity product endorsements that stress fidelity and/or celibacy.

"Hi! I'm Bill Maher. When I endorse a product, you can believe what I say, because I'm not an unfaithful rat. I'm not married, and the strippers I hang out with don't care who else I see so long as I pay them when services are rendered."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I've never cheated on anyone, so no, I don't have a problem judging someone who has. Tiger's kids will now know that their dad is an adulterer, a liar and a fraud.

Posted by: retabroad | December 2, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Whatever else you think about Tiger Woods, you have to admit that he can put it in the hole.

When Tiger plays bedroom golf, does he ask permission before playing the back nine?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

There are only two things for Tiger to consider doing in the circumstances:

1. He must answer to Elin for his "transgressions" and be ready to take his responsibility as father to his children seriously

2. He must be prepared to accept the fact that his sponsors may or may not entrust the marketing of their brands to him in the future.

Beyond that, he owes no confessions or explanations to the public or his fans. The public and his fans of course have the right to stop buying the products he promotes (possible) and refuse to see him play golf the way only he does (highly unlikely)

Posted by: anilbhalla | December 2, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

For goodness' sake, so he was in a minor fender bender, didn't injure anyone else. How many thousands of these occur every year with no fuss? Leave the guy alone. Just because a person has achieved something shouldn't make him or her a candidate for media crucifixion.

Posted by: dotellen | December 2, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retabroad | December 2, 2009 2:53 PM |

-------------------------------------------
Yeah, they'll be so upset with his behavior that they will refuse to cash his child support checks.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Americans seem to have this idea that everybody else's business is their own. For a society that can barely take care of its own business that fixation with others' problems borders on sickness. Some sort of vast spiritual and emotional emptiness that compels the average American to shop and snoop until they drop.

Posted by: patrick3 | December 2, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If Tiger Woods adopted 18 nubile young adult females, would he have his own private gold course? Would Tiger allow anyone to "play through"?

This is the best opportunity for celebrity sports snark since the Roger Clemens steroid allegations.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"For now, we'll conveniently ignore Nike's ownership of Converse."
- Sas

That's a good point, Bottle. A fully-fledged b______ of a good point.

Probably just as well, since the number of women coming out of the woodwork now seems to imply that Tiger apparently lives by the motto contained in the anagram 'ADIDAS'.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 2, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

What he "owes" the public and what's the most strategic way to get past this with his career intact are two different questions.

He doesn't owe the public anything, and anyone who thinks being a brand or a spokesperson for corporate america implies an upright existence or higher moral duty hasn't been paying attention.

I have no idea about the second, though the press conference with wife at side seems tried and true.

Posted by: LizaBean | December 2, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

ADIDAS?

"Do as I say and do"?

"I am a dumb diddley s***"? <-- Probably better suited to me.

Will Nike change their slogan to "Just do her"?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

People, get off your judgmental high horse!! Lots of people cheat. Who cares?? He is not being paid for moral behavior by sponsors. Take a look around you, it's more the norm these days (and not just men).

Posted by: queenb3 | December 2, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

ADIDAS = IS A DAD?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Happy BKD-day everyone!

Posted by: hodie2 | December 2, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

ADIDAS = IS A DAD?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 3:53 PM

-----------------------------------------
You got that off the anagram server, didn't you?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

You misunderestimate me, Sas!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I wish Tiger Woods would say fu** all of you and mind your business. That's what I would say. He endorses various products and you believe he's a prince of some sort? He's a brilliant golfer and you think he's not capable of adultery? Give me a break. If you choose to believe in fairy tales, that's your problem. If you spent money purchasing products he's endorsed, that's your problem. It's a total shame and he's one of a million dumbass cheating jerks, but owe you? PLEASE! But, maybe his love of money will make him bow to the pressure to discuss the issue further for the public's curiousity and need to gossip because, that's all it is.

Posted by: shejoy | December 2, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retabroad | December 2, 2009 2:26 PM

I missed when Tiger did this. Can anyone else pinpoint when Tiger went out of his way to cultivate an image outside of the golf course?

Retabroad, those high horses make for nasty falls so be careful.

Posted by: jes11 | December 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
Hit a hydrant in the night.
Chance and circumstance combine
To light thy infidelity.

In what distant clefts or thighs
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what tarts dare he aspire?
What man dare temp wife's ire?

And what bootie and what "shoes"
Could make one's Johnson be his muse?
And when thy meat began to grow,
What dread hand and what dread blow?

When with those women whom you've lain?
In whose rear end was thy brain?
What sort of skanky sneak
Would dare your private voicemail leak?

When the paps made you their beat,
And covered Twitter with their tweets,
Did He smile His work to see?
Did He who made LiLo make thee?

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
Hit a hydrant in the night.
Chance and circumstance combine
To light thy infidelity.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

What dumb poll questions -
(1) talk, it's good for you,
(2) talk, you're innocent,
(3) what me worry, and
(4) privacy forever.
What happened to (5) talk, you owe us honesty after $1 billion in trust put in you. But my choice is (6) lesson to the rest of us: celebrate the fact that imperfect beings can be inspiring and do great things, but don't expect perfection - we're all human. There's a time for kindly looking away.

Posted by: jpriestly | December 2, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

There exists no instrument on heaven or earth that can measure my indifference to Tiger's transgressions, endorsements, golf game, or existence. But the BKD going on here is most excellent!

Posted by: jelo97 | December 2, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

All things considered (TM), I'd rather be Tiger Woods than Tareq Salahi.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I actually picked "yes, he's only hurting his reputation"blah blah. Not because I think he owes anyone anything or has to do it at all, but because it's the only way to get ahead of this story and make the narrative his own. If he cares. And publicly admitting to affairs pretty much pulls the plug on anyone else coming out of the woodwork--there's no surprise if he already copped to numerous infidelities. Ho hum, time to move on.

However, he should NOT do anything with Elin at his side. Asking her to endure even more public humiliation is obscene. No one buys that stunt anymore anyway.

Like I said, I don't think he HAS to do a thing, but if he wants this to go away sooner rather than later, he's got to speak up.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 2, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

lain

Oh, Sas, you sweet-talkin' cryptid, you!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 2, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: retabroad | December 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Whoa!! That's a rather judgmental post, eh? Try not to personalize what's going on between Tiger and HIS wife. I could give two sh*ts about what is going on this man's private life especially when I have my own marriage to tend to.

This man only owes his wife an apology which she has the right to accept or not to accept. I'll admit the details are salacious and interesting only because Tiger's public persona seemed so squeaky clean until now.

Posted by: plamar1031 | December 2, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

When Eliot Spitzer made his public confession with his wife at his side, there was a great outcry that she should not have been forced to stand there like that. And when Governor Whatshisname from SC was caught out, his wife's absence at his public confession was considered a good thing, a refreshing change to the tired script of the pained-looking wife silently looking on. I totally disagree with Jason Maloni on the need for Tiger and Elin to come out and stand together in front of screaming reporters and flashing cameras.

This is a private matter between Tiger and his wife. We didn't elect him to be a shining example of marital fidelity. It's very disappointing that he's apparently been cheating on Elin for some time, but the only vows involved are between the two of them. If his sponsors decide to punish him, that, again, is an issue between the parties involved. The rest of us ought to stay out of it.

I also think it's pretty sad that nobody sounds anywhere near as critical of the woman (women?) involved. It's not like they didn't know who Tiger was, so why, even if he was the one who initiated the relationship, couldn't they have done the right thing and said "no way." Surely they knew he was married and was sneaking around, trying to keep all this secret from his wife, and they are just as much at fault as he is.

Posted by: sally1860 | December 2, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

I feel for Tiger. I know I was reluctant to hold a press conference the day I realized I was becoming my father.

Posted by: TeamMIG | December 2, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Sally, I agree--what's with this non-critical publicity for a wannabe "reality" star who is talking about her affair with a married man and revealing private texts, messages, etc. I guess I'm getting old fashioned, but this isn't something one should brag about--there are some not-so-nice names for this kind of woman and no one seems inclined to use them. It's making me actually have some respect for Rachel whatshername and purported mistress #3 who is declining comment altogether.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 2, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

The main stream media is obv smoking crack or something. They've been asking Tiger Woods to explain why he was driving out at 2 am, if he was having an affair and the whole nine. It just defies common sense, IMHO.

I'm proud to see, based on what's posted here, that the American public is getting sick of this childishness. Yes, we know that media outlets are losing money, but stop insulting our intelligence. We're at war, our economy's in the tank, foreclosures are out the roof and folks are out of work. And the media's caught up in the must bs stories.

Balloon boy, WH party crashers, Tiger Gate..the list goes. I'm sick of it.

Posted by: bosslady1 | December 2, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

****
patrick3, you're right.

Posted by: frieda406 | December 2, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with epjd. Except to add that it wasn't just "an" affair, it was apparently multiple affairs.

If he wants privacy above all else, he should quit being an "entertainer" (as are all professional athletes). He's already got a bajillion dollars. He could design golf courses and keep getting a nice salary and stay around golf.

But when you put yourself into the public eye and rake in millions a year for it, privacy is out of the question, especially in situations like this.

Posted by: theRealCalGal | December 2, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"Hey Tiger, take your money and your family find yourself a nice peaceful country to live in ..."

You know, I agree with this, and I suggest Sweden (or wherever Elin is from). Go live in her country, with her people. Let your kids learn her language, and get away from the American media/mindset. It might do you good, and as your Mom was foreign born, it might get you more in touch with your 'foreigner' roots.

Posted by: theRealCalGal | December 2, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I hope you'll stage a reading of your poetry one of these days.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 2, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I heart dorkusmaximus1.

And sasquatchbigfoot, poet.

Posted by: theRealCalGal | December 2, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin rulez!!!

Sasquatch droolz!!!

Posted by: angelos_peter | December 3, 2009 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 2, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Where do I ship the rodent's hiney?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 3, 2009 7:41 AM | Report abuse