Posted at 8:17 AM ET, 01/14/2010

Celebs urge help for Haiti; No more free GM cars for Tiger Woods

By Liz Kelly
Thursday

Headlines: Wyclef Jean, Ben Stiller urge help for Haiti... Brangelina donate $1 million to Doctors Without Borders... No more free GM cars for Tiger Woods... Tom Hanks now Twittering... "Dexter's" Michael C. Hall undergoing cancer treatment... Tila Tequila seeking custody of Casey Johnson's daughter... Heidi Montag "obsessed" with plastic surgery... "Friends" Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc headed back to TV... Katy Perry signs on as Proactiv spokesperson... Jessica Simpson and Billy Corgan team up (in the studio)... Jennifer Love Hewitt explains the "vajazzle" to George Lopez... Steve Martin pens two new books... Soul singer Teddy Pendergrass dead at 59... Hugh Hefner's girlfriends move out.

Crime Watch: Kidnapping false alarm at chez Speidi... Police chief sentenced to house arrest in Sarah Jessica Parker surrogate case.

Rumor Mill: Katy Perry not pregnant, says rep... Ex distributes pix of an allegedly naked Jesse McCartney.

Pix: Kiefer Sutherland dons a dress for Letterman appearance... Katherine McPhee on February's Shape cover... Johnny Depp giggles at statue of himself.

Video: "Big Love's" Margene starts video blogging:

More: Michael Lohan wipes out at skating rink... Scary 10-year-old impersonates Liza Minnelli.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's thrilling edition of Celebritology Live -- your weekly one-hour chance to dish about celebs in a supportive environment.

By Liz Kelly  | January 14, 2010; 8:17 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Talking with 'Lost's' Jeff Fahey: Part 1
Next: Talking with 'Lost's' Jeff Fahey: part 2

Comments

How come when JLH glues shiny things to her crotch it's cute, but when I do it there's screams and cops and lawyers?

It's such a disappointment to click on a link expecting Jenny McCartney and getting Jesse McCartney.

I'm assuming Katherine McPhee didn't have to get the full Kelly Clarkson treatment for her Shape magazine cover photo.

No child needs to be exposed to Tequila that early in life.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 14, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Tila, leave that child alone.

And Heidi, I believe that even Michael Jackson had had only 1 plastic surgery at 23 (nose). Give it a rest.

Posted by: TigerLily81 | January 14, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Tila, you are no Larry Birkhead. Or even Howard Stern.

That was no kidnapping attempt, that was Heidi after she had a little work done.

Posted by: epjd | January 14, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Katy Perry not pregnant, just constipated. So that is what all the grunting Russell Brand heard was about.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 14, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

-was very sorry to hear about teddy pendergrass. he had the most wonderful, dreamy voice. he was also courageous.
-please consider making a $ contribution for those suffering in haiti will go a long way. any amount will do. many reputable organizations like doctors w/o borders, habitat for humanity, save the children, etc. prayers to all.

Posted by: frieda406 | January 14, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

frieda, when I saw video on the TV news last night of the rescue/recovery canines headed to Haiti to help with the efforts, I thought of all the service dogs, including your Frankie. They and their people help make the world a more humane place. Thanks for all you do.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 14, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Hef's twin girlfriends are 'growing up' and moving on."
- All these years, I thought the Playboy Mansion was a den of iniquity. It turns out that it's really a finishing school.

"2010 is KOOKS so far, no? Hanx"
- No, @tomhanks. You're the one that's kooks.

"In promo clips Showtime showed reporters over the weekend, Matt [LeBlanc] has to audition to play himself."
- If Matt fails the audition, I might just watch the show.

"No more free GM cars for Tiger Woods"
- Tiger will just have to pay next to nothing for a discontinued Saturn like the rest of us schmoes.

"Kidnapping false alarm at chez Speidi."
- That's way more disappointing than Dorkus' disappointment over Jesse McCartney.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 14, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I feel for ya, Katy. My co-worker asked me if I was pregnant today. I am not. I can only imagine having my episode this morning splashed across mags. *shudder*

Posted by: Osteph | January 14, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to Brangelina and other celebs that donate on that scale. I realize this may be no hardship for them, but hopefully they lead by example so that similar contributions are made.

Posted by: kvs09 | January 14, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Tiger's waiting for Congress to implement the Cash for Boinkers program.

Eventually all of Heidi Montag's plastic surgery will turn her into Katharine McPhee. Who, when she went blonde, became Britney Spears. At this rate, one day every female celebrity will look like become "Simone" from that Al Pacino movie. Generic. Forgettable.

Kiefer, drunk again. And betting on the Patriots?! Stupid man. And if you're going to ride the subway in that getup later, you already missed no-pants day.

Two more books from Steve Martin? Insufferable. Back away from the laptop, you once-wild and now-crazy guy. I've heard enough from you.

Jennifer, I now have one more reason never to visit the Swarovski store in The Gallery at Harborplace. So thanks for that.

No wonder Johnny's laughing at that statue; it's of a young Sam Shepard.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 14, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"My co-worker asked me if I was pregnant today."

Posted by: Osteph

Why, oh why, would anyone think it's a good idea to ask if someone's pregnant? If they are, they'll tell you when they're ready. If they're not, congratulations, you've just stuck your foot so far in your mouth you'll be picking rubber out of your teeth for a week.

(FWIW, I hope I would have enough presence of mind to respond, "Yes, I am having a bacon baby.")

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 14, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"allegedly naked"?
Not planning to click on the link to find out.

RIP Teddy P.

Posted by: mat00 | January 14, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

To me "naked" means zero clothing, but I do believe a G-string made of candy could be considered clothing. Or a covering of some sort at the very least.

Posted by: wadejg | January 14, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

johnny depp's giggling because that statue has no pants.

text "haiti" to 90999, donate $10 to Red Cross. (Your phone bill will be charged.)

RIP, Teddy P.

Posted by: dablues1 | January 14, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Ew. I am unreasonably grossed out by Jennifer Love Hewitt's massive overshare/TMI.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 14, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Prayers for those suffering in Haiti. Thanks Brangelina. Doctors without Borders is a wonderful organization. Ditto for the Red Cross.

RIP Teddy.

Posted by: hodie2 | January 14, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Guess the local police feel the same about Heincer as we do. When they found out who the alleged kidnapping victim was, they shrugged their shoulders, said "carry-on" and left.

Californian, I'm with you on the JLH TMI. Also thinking that #1, it must itch to high heaven, and #2, would probably very much kill the moment when a suprised significant other bursts out laughing.

Posted by: hodie2 | January 14, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

dablues and Doc hodie are right, there are lots of organizations out there doing amazing work helping people, especially in the wake of calamities like this.

Please, though, be cautious if solicited for a donation from a group you don't know or trust. See this segment of a transcript of the report "Logistics A Challenge For Groups Trying To Aid Haiti" on yesterday's NPR "Morning Edition":

"Many organizations already have links on their Web sites for Haitian relief. Even the U.S. State Department is encouraging people to contribute $10 to the Red Cross by sending a text message. / But Bennett Weiner of the Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance warns donors to be careful. / 'Because, unfortunately, there are some in the wake of such tragedies that will seek to take advantage of the emotion of the moment and perhaps send out questionable or fraudulent appeals,' he said. / He advises giving only to well-known relief groups and then to give directly, avoiding potential online scams. Relief agencies also say, while food and clothing drives are well-intentioned, they're seldom the best way to help."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 14, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm having a hard time bringing the snark today - the tragedy of Haiti is just so huge.

(Although I am nominating Dorkus for Quote of the Week: "Am I the only one thinking that Tom Hanks' twitter account will be terribly boring with too much exposition?" Add me to the list of Lizards needing a new keyboard.)

Posted by: jaybbub | January 14, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

This is the FBI's fraud alert:

Posted by: dablues1 | January 14, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

We have a little boy here in Memphis who came from Haiti to have some kind of surgery here and now he can't go home because they don't know where his parents are. It's so sad.

Posted by: dablues1 | January 14, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dablues1 | January 14, 2010 2:54 PM

Dablues, that's just heartbreaking.

Folks who want to give to a charity can research on Charity Watch, Charity Navigator and/or the Better Business Bureau. Also consider giving to a charity that had a presence in Haiti before the quake, which is more likely to have some connections already in place, than to a charity that is just starting out there. Most of the news organizations have lists of charities on their websites.

Posted by: northgs | January 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

When you're a 10-year-old boy, what good is sitting alone in your room? When instead, you can do a frighteningly accurate -- down to the under-pitch vocal -- impression of Liza Minnelli! Whoa.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 14, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

***
yes, nosy, they're amazing. let's just hope they find lots of people still alive. frankie is headed over to hospice in a little bit.

Posted by: frieda406 | January 14, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

huffington post also has a good article of where to contribute. everything's been vetted.

Posted by: frieda406 | January 14, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Just saw on Google News' headlines that Wyclef Jean has already raised $1 million for Haiti aid, and Tiger is thinking of contributing $3 million (yes, a mere drop in the golfball bucket for him, but still it beats not donating). Along with Brangelina's cool million to the estimable Doctors Without Borders...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 14, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

All - I agree with the folks who are urging you to make sure you know where your money is going.

I work for the Red Cross and we see fraud happen all the time after a disaster, where well intentioned folks are taken advantage of, it's horrible-ness on top of tragedy and makes me so angry (LTL SMASH)...

There are plenty of legit organizations with established presence in Haiti which reduces the amount of your money that goes to start up costs. Guidestar and Charity Navigator can tell you how many cents on the dollar are for direct services (read money to those impacted).

I would say please keep in mind that these charities do need to keep the lights on and have standing capacity to respond so a few cents on the dollar (10 seems to be reasonable and what we have) is necessary. Any charity that says that no money goes to administration either has a massive endowment or is lying.

As a reformed bean counter I can tell you that the accounting for these direct versus indirect expenses is not well regulated and rather fuzzily defined <- so again go with legit well established organizations who will play straight because they have a reputation to uphold.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Hatians right now...

Posted by: LTL1 | January 14, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Just heard on WTOP -- if you donate by text, it may take up to 90 days for your donation to reach the intended recipient. Remember, the cell phone companies are not going to risk people not paying their bills.

It is better to donate directly to the organization via web or old fashioned mailing a check.

Of course, Haiti is still gonna need help 90 days from now.

Posted by: epjd | January 14, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse