Posted at 11:13 AM ET, 01/ 5/2010

In Vanity Fair, Tiger's take on black athletes, lesbians

By Liz Kelly

The Tiger Woods feature splashed across the cover of February's Vanity Fair consists entirely of recycled material pulled from the deep archives.

But, in light of Tiger's recent fall from grace, VF figured it was worth reminding us that the man who allegedly kept upwards of 14 mistresses on call did break character -- jumping outside his carefully crafted image -- as much as a decade ago. And since Woods has already been dumped by several sponsors and his legions of fans, why not pile on, right? Something's gotta sell print mags.

(Reuters/Vanity Fair)

Accompanied by pix of a topless iron-pumping Woods taken by Annie Leibovitz four years ago (and conveniently held in her archives until this moment), VF contributing editor (and author of some really good stuff) Buzz Bissinger spins a few quotes from a 1997 VF Woods interview into a loquacious feature article. In the interest of saving you time, I've read the article and extracted the key -- and not necessarily safe for work -- quotes and revelations below:

-- At one point Woods muses: "What I can't figure out is why so many good-looking women hang around baseball and basketball. Is it because, you know, people always say that, like, black guys have big [expletive]?"

-- Surrounded by four women at a photo shoot, Woods "rubbed the tips of his shoes together and then asked the women, 'What’s this?' They were stumped. 'It's a black guy taking off his condom.'"

-- And, since he was on a roll, Woods allegedly kept up the jokes. As recounted by Bissinger, "There came another joke about why two lesbians always get to where they are going faster than two gay guys: because the lesbians are always going 69."

-- Bissinger also links Woods to Anthony Galea, a doctor "reportedly suspected by federal officials of dispensing illegal human-growth-hormone drugs to athletes, an allegation he denies."

The full article is available now on the Vanity Fair site and the February issue, complete with more as-yet-unreleased Leibovitz pix, hits news stands next week.

By Liz Kelly  | January 5, 2010; 11:13 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tiger topless on new Vanity Fair cover; Vince Vaughn marries
Next: Sandra Bullock breaks box office barrier; Katy Perry and Russell Brand engaged

Comments

Thanks for that Liz. One more reason I don't read VF.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 5, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Tiger is a 27 year old billionaire who's accomplished most of what he's wanted in his sport. He's also a flawed human being like the rest of us....winning the Masters doesn't make you the Pope (and I won't even make references to the practices of a few Catholic priests). We, as humans and in light of our own failings, should practice the teachings of the Lord and be a little more forgiving. God knows, it there was no mercy, humans would have been wiped off the face of this planet long ago.

Judge not, lest ye be judged....something I try to live by.

Posted by: massmedia77 | January 5, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Guy has been in the coccoon for so long he never grew up. What a total jerk he is!

Posted by: dime_dropper | January 5, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"winning the Masters doesn't make you the Pope"

-massmedia77

No, but it goes a long way towards helping you become the Archbishop of Canterbury. Besides everyone knows the Pope plays squash.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 5, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

A few things - Tiger just turned 34.

The most salacious quotes are recycled from an article written about 13 years ago just after he left college. It was written by Charles Pierce and probably is the main reason that Tiger never opened up to reporters since.

Most of this info may be new to you, but keep in mind that the quotes are almost 13 years old.

Posted by: eechen | January 5, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

What this article reveals is that Tiger was a normal 21 year-old male. Gasp!

Posted by: ljcmpls | January 5, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

You are right, eechen. The quotes need to be put in context of a 21 yo and are really not that different than what any other red-blooded American 21yo male would say, if I remember correctly. However, appears he never left that phase of his life.

Agree with the don't judge comment but he certainly deserves snark and ribbing!

Posted by: hodie | January 5, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Judge not, lest ye be judged....something I try to live by.

Posted by: massmedia77 | January 5, 2010 11:30 AM
=======================================
Where's Jezebel? Ok. I'll do it.

Bwaaaahahahahahahahaha.....

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

OK, what fried me most about the VF article (yes, I read the whole thing online...thank YOU Tina Brown!) was that Buzz Bissinger not only dug up a 13 year old article, he dug up CHARLIE PIERCE'S article.

Frankly, Charlie puts himself out there in the media quite a bit and if he thought any of the trash talk spoken by a then, SINGLE man was important at this juncture, he would have said so himself. And better, too.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 5, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I love these "judge not" comments. How are we supposed to pick our friends? I say judge not the man, but DEFINITELY judge his actions.

Posted by: shanks1 | January 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

it's always interesting when newbies drop by. It takes a few days to catch onto the atmosphere of Lizard Island. And some people are just too afraid of all the snarks to hang around for very long.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 5, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

plus it's obvious Tiger has heard the same jokes we all have. He just puts them to different uses.

Which apparently worked for him at least 14 times...

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 5, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Well, ok then. After reading TW's quotes, what a jerk. Man, do I ever feel sorry for his wife.

Posted by: MILWI | January 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MILWI

------------------------------------------
I can think of.....ohhhh....about half a billion reasons why I don't feel sorry for her.

I sure hope that Tiger has improved his sens of humor in the intervening 13 years. He's gonna need it.

What he should do is make a guest host appearance on SNL and give the lowdown on why he really endorsed the Buick Rendezvous.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 5, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only person that thinks Tiger looks like a thug on the VF cover? He looks like he's getting ready to go to a dog fight. How could we have all been duped for so long. It's really sad.

Posted by: sandrabgreen1 | January 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'll be buying this magazine. This is one of the most compelling stories I've seen in a long time. I'm really sorry for contributing to the madness. I try but I simply can't pull my eyes away from this story.

Posted by: NatsNut | January 5, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Tiger looks like a black guy in the joint. Bet he LOVES this picture. LOL.

Posted by: yeswecan3 | January 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

The original article, Liz, was from a '97 issue of GQ---so Vanity Fair has managed to craft a cover story out of another magazine's 12-year-old story and some 4-year-old pictures. In the original article, it was clear that he was feeling the effects of new fame, acting a little cocky, testing his sex appeal, and yes, being kind of a jerk---and that he had no clue this was all fair game for the reporter. No wonder he became a PR automaton after that.

And no matter what you may think of Tiger's recent behavior, how is it fair to judge him by what he said as a 21-year-old? Anyone out there want to stand by what they said as a young fool?

Posted by: chantooz | January 6, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"The only thing missing in this photo shoot was a shot of Tiger lying down with his head resting on Billy Ray Cyrus."

"Tiger looks like a black guy in the joint."

- Although I'm generally a fan of Annie Leibovitz, I have to wonder if after the M. Cyrus and this photo celebs think twice about doing these shoots. Neither one of these is reflecting very well on these subjects.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | January 6, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse