Posted at 7:28 AM ET, 01/12/2010

No more 'Spider-Man' for Tobey Maguire; Brangelina to skip Golden Globes

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Simon Cowell leaving "American Idol" at the end of 2010 season | Gallery... Howie Mandell replacing David Hasselhoff on "America's Got Talent"... No more "Spider-Man" for Tobey Maguire... Brangelina skipping the Golden Globes... Larry King pulls the plug on Tila Tequila interview... Mel Gibson feels sorry for Tiger Woods... Beyoncé taking six-month break... Dita Von Teese walks out of interview after being asked about Marilyn Manson/Evan Rachel Wood engagement... Jessica Biel, Emile Hirsch hit by blizzard on Mt. Kilimanjaro... Olivia Newton-John to guest star on "Glee"... Sisqo ordered to pay child support to woman (who was 14 when he impregnated her)... Megan Fox buys $3 million L.A. home.

Crime Watch: Jon Gosselin planning to file criminal complaint against ex Hailey Glassman... Natasha Lyonne seeks restraining order against dad... $1 million in jewels, furs and electronics allegedly stolen from Usher's SUV... Joe Namath's daughter arrested for marijuana possession.

Rumor Mill: Will Paula Abdul join Simon Cowell on "X Factor?"... Engagement near for Prince William and Kate Middleton?... Paul McCartney planning third trip to the altar?... Amy Winehouse set to remarry ex in St. Lucia?... Terrence Howard splits from fiancee.

Pix: Kate Gosselin and her new extensions step out... Blake Lively's pantsless Esquire cover... Oprah wearing leather skirt in PETA ad?

Video: John Travolta covers "Every Little Step" with daughter Ella Bleu...

By Liz Kelly  | January 12, 2010; 7:28 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor Lautner is alive
Next: George Clooney and his beard

Comments

Um, Liz, not that I'm not glad Tobey Maguire isn't doing Superman, I think you meant Spider-Man.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 12, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Whoops. Yes, it's "Spider-Man" of course. It's corrected. And I need a Diet Coke to wake up.

Editor Nancy

Posted by: Nancy_Kerr | January 12, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I won't be satisfied with Glee until there is a Liza Minelli/Harvey Fierstein episode. They could play twin sisters or something.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 12, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"Simon Cowell leaving "American Idol" at the end of 2010 season." Maybe this season of the show could be all about finding a replacement for him. (Or maybe William Hung is available.)

If America's Got So Much Frickin' Talent, why are they hiring a Canadian to replace the Hoff?

I got an invitation in the mail today:

Mel GIBSON
Requests the PLEASURE of your COMPANY
at
A PITY PARTY
in honor of TIGER WOODS
Sunday, January the Seventeenth, Two Thousand Ten

Drinks & hors d'oeuvres followed by a discussion of the ways in which THE JEWS are responsible.

RSVP

"$1 million in jewels, furs and electronics allegedly stolen from Usher's SUV." Apparently none of the "electronics" included a car alarm.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 12, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

No no no no no no! Paul was supposed to marry ME this time! At least that was my first reaction, until I clicked on the link and saw a current photo. Nevermind, I'm good Sir P, keep your socialite.

Yellowjkt & byoolin each made me spit coffee on my keyboard this morning. I'll send the bill c/o WaPo.

Posted by: kbockl | January 12, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojk

_____________________________________

OMFG YES!!! THIS!!! SOOOOO MUCH!!

If only Freddie Mercury or Judy Garland were still alive to make the triumverate complete!!!

I watched about 20 seconds of that Travolta vid & had to stop because it was from that horrid movie he just did. Wait, I guess I should specify since pretty much most movies he's done lately have been horrid...Old Dogs, that's the movie it's from. Couldn't watch anymore.

That said, when they did a closeup of him, I realized he really is a handsome man, even with the extra weight & wig, he still is a good looking guy. I'd prefer him without the wig but every girl has her little beauty things & that's hers.

Posted by: wadejg | January 12, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Precious thought of the week, "Mel Gibson feels sorry for Tiger Woods." I bet he does.....
If I were Tiger, I surely think I would not be terribly grateful.
The best thing about this whole Tiger mess is the ingeniousness and creativity of his statement regarding the accident, "My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me."

Posted by: agog1 | January 12, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I see Dita Von Teese is angling to be the trashy version of Jennifer Aniston.

Of course Tobey Maguire had to refuse anymore Spiderman movies, he has all those OTHER serious films to do.

Posted by: epjd | January 12, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Beyonce's taking a break from what exactly? Selling her soul to family members of terrorists? Yeah, that can get pretty exhausting.

Posted by: jaybbub | January 12, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Tobey Maquire might be being gracious about being kicked off the franchise for being too old:

Posted by: em15 | January 12, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Joe Namath's daughter? Aren't we stretching a bit to find "celebrity" news?

Posted by: jaybbub | January 12, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: buffysummers | January 12, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Mel Gibson feels sorry for Tiger Woods...
Apparently tried to offer Tiger a hug saying, "Come here sugar tits, it'll be ok."

Brangelina skipping the Golden Globes...
Angie says she's already got a pair.

Sir Paul, *cough* pre-nup *cough cough*

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 12, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Howie Mandell replacing the Hoff? The Hoff was already a no talent hack - why not go for Paris Hilton or Greg Street(aka Ghostcrawler) if you're going for the talentless irony tag. I mean - Howie picks up the 'phone' and talks to the banker - that's far more demonstrable talent than my other options.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | January 12, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Interesting stuff about "Spider-Man"- both Raimi and Maguire left the project, and they're planning to reboot the entire franchise. I always thought you had to drive the franchise into the ground before you rebooted it. I wonder if Marvel is going to try and snag the property back now that they have their own studio. (Ofc, the big news in my nerdtacular neck of the woods is that Raimi is now free to direct the Warcraft movie. I think he's planning to do another project first, but Jeebus I hope he stays on for that.)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 12, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Also, quintilus, I just picked up the Ghostcrawler reference. I assume he promised you a pony that you did not receive. (Or you have played a ret pally during Wrath at any point.)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 12, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"Since there isn't going to be a Spider Man 4, how is Kirsten Dunst going to get her pot money?"

Posted by: buffysummers | January 12, 2010 10:01 AM

*********************

Clearly the answer is for her to marry Sir Paul.

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 12, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Is Howie not afraid of contracting Ozzie's germs sitting next to Sharon? Might catch a case of the mumbles...

Does Brangelina have a sock drawer to clean out or something?

Lizards are showing remarkable restraint avoiding remarks containing the words Oprah, PETA, and cow.

Posted by: hodie | January 12, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Toby McGuire, coming to an NCIS near you.

Posted by: dablues1 | January 12, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

14? Isn't that statutory rape? Anyway, ew.

WHO CARES, Brangelina!!! Someone suffers from a serious case of self-importance. You don't hear other major stars proclaiming they're not attending and "over" Hollywood. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Note to Paul McCartney: definition of insanity = repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result. I would also direct that to Amy Wine-o, but she is already insane, so no point.

Maybe O's skirt is pleather?

Posted by: Californian11 | January 12, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Megan Fox buys $3 million L.A. home.
-Byoolin sits by the phone awaiting her call for him to come wash her car.

Kate Gosselin and her new extensions step out...
-long blond hair....is she trying to attract Tiger Woods for some quick $5 M hush money?

Larry pulls the plug on Tila. "my fanbase demographic and to the people that matter to my career dont watch Larry King," Tila e-mailed.

- I guess Larry King doesn't register with the skanky Twitter addicts that make up Tila's "fanbase demographic."

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 12, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Sir Paul, *cough* pre-nup *cough cough*
***
dorkus, the future mrs. mccartney comes from lots and lots of money. her father is in the trucking business in either new york or new jersey. cough, cough.
still, paul probably won't be as stupid this time, altho' one can never underestimate the male's behavioral stupid gene. (ours is emotional).

Posted by: frieda406 | January 12, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

frieda, I'm in the middle of dealing with the consequences of the male stupidity gene (coupled with the female emotional gene). That is one gene that should never be underestimated.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 12, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

A word of advice to Dorkus: Smart, interesting, witty though plain girls can usually improve their looks radically with just a cosmetic makeover. But pretty girls who aren't smart, interesting or witty are often irremediable.

Ditto for plain guys.

So go for the smart, interesting witty girls.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 12, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh, come now, Nosy. Smart, interesting, and witty it ain't, but that trick of balancing three beer bottles in my mouth is sure to amuse and delight for years to come.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 12, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but Nosy what about the girls that are smart, interesting, witty, and pretty?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 12, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

As long as the criteria are in that order, you should be OK.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 12, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Uh, nosy, why are you giving Dorkus advice on the kind of girls he should go for?

Posted by: epjd | January 12, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, ep, aren't you smart, interesting, witty?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 12, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse