Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 01/ 6/2010

Sandra Bullock breaks box office barrier; Katy Perry and Russell Brand engaged

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Sandra Bullock breaks $200 million box office barrier... Russell Brand and Katy Perry engaged... Jennifer Lopez thought "El Cantante" performance Oscar-worthy... Casey Johnson autopsy report inconclusive; diabetes may have played a role in death; private funeral set for this week... Three of Angelina Jolie's kids get $100,000 from late grandmother... Sharon Stone signs on for "Law & Order: SVU" cameos... Videogame maker plans to stand by Tiger Woods... Jason Alexander signs on as Jenny Craig spokesman... Snoop Dogg making repeat appearance on "One Life to Live"... Bob Barker faces down Japanese whaling ship... Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction case heads back to court.

Pics: Emma Watson's new Burberry ads... Pete Wentz and Ashlee Simpson-Wentz mask it up in New York... Christina Aguilera's Marie Claire cover.

Video: James Franco guest stars on the Jan. 14 "30 Rock"...

Crime Watch:

Redmond O'Neal jailed on drug-related probation violation... Battery charge against Gerard Butler dismissed.

Rumor Mill: Marilyn Manson proposes to Evan Rachel Wood... Lindsay Lohan accuses pal of pilfering fashion sketches... Are celebs being paid to tweet product placements?... Charlie Sheen's wife reportedly attended rehab while pregnant... Jake Gyllenhaal tries to win back Reese Witherspoon with $75,000 dishes.

---

Lost

Join Jen Chaney, "Finding Lost" author Nikki Stafford and me at 2 p.m. ET for The "Lost" Hour chat. We'll talk about the rapidly approaching upcoming season, what episodes from seasons past resonate with you emotionally, fans petitioning Disney for a "Lost" attraction, the just-released "Lost" supper promo and, finally, Liz & Jen's new "Lost"-centric Twitter feed.

By Liz Kelly  | January 6, 2010; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Vanity Fair, Tiger's take on black athletes, lesbians
Next: Here come the People's Choice Awards

Comments

What's up w/WaPo online? I just now saw this. I thought something was wrong with Liz, but it's just technological clusterf***s. Alas.
Speaking of what's up, what's up with the wardrobe-malfunction-court-case-that-won't-end? It this going to be like the break up of AT&T - it will last a couple of decades and employ thousands of lawyers for their entire careers?
On a happier note, yea for Sandra Bullock. And she didn't even need to get a bigger pair of "shoes" to do it. wu-huu for her.

Posted by: agog1 | January 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Test.

Although the time stamp on the column is 8 AM, it didn't show up on my computer till after 1 PM. Hope you're OK, Liz.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 6, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Given how few blog posts were showing up when I checked in this morning, I'm voting technical "issues," though I feel agog's description is probably closer to reality.

I at first read the Katy Perry/Russell Brand item as Kerri Russell and had to look a couple times to get the full meaning. I blame pregnancy brain. Also, I guess Katy didn't like kissing a girl *that* much.

I was a bit concerned about which three of the grandkids Angelina's mom left money to, but was glad to see it was a statement on chronology rather than adoption. When my grandmother passed away, she had a general statement on what great-grandchildren (all of her kids being done with producing grandchildren) received, and that came off the top before the rest was divided out--and was nowhere near $100,000. Mousespouse and I have wills that address the inheritances of "offspring."

Posted by: mouse4 | January 6, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

agog1 is correct. A WaPo clusterf., tho everyone was spared my inane comments. Bad part was I couldn't even read the post.

Emma Watson is hawt, in a waifish, Brit, underage, slip of a girl kinda way.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

And go, Sandy! I told everyone they were missing a great talent.

Singing may not be JLo's primary assssset.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 6, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

reddragon, Emma is in college now, so she's not so much underaged. Maybe more in the inappropriate age bracket.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 6, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I am going strictly by looks. That's all that counts, right?

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 6, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, 6 days into the year and we already have 2 nominees for "Celeb Couple Most Likely to Make You Go EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW/Break Up/Both"

Posted by: EricS2 | January 6, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Eric there's several couples mentioned above. Assume you are referring to the newly-bethrothed, and not the attempted-reconcilers or some random combination such as Bob Barker and Snoop Dogg, or JLo and her butt.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 6, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, WaPo blogs are back...like a cool cloth on my fevered brow.

EA has been publishing the Tiger Woods PGA Tour series annually since 1999; at the time of shipping the 2010 game, they had reportedly earned over $500 million from the series as a whole. I think that property is just too valuable for them to lose over anything less than murder. (I bet they could get a hell of a crossover with the Grand Theft Auto series, though. Play as Elle Nordgren! Jack Cadillacs and Bentleys and chase your cheating husband through the glitzy neighborhoods of Jupiter Island! Upgrade your golf clubs from putter to sand wedge to titanium composite 9-iron!)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer, better copyright that game idea.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 6, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer, I would so buy that game.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, folks, I can dig it. :D It would be like Kill Bill with a golf bag.

I wish the games were on PC, someone (not me) could probably cook up a mod fairly easily.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 6, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

In was refering to Brian "Marilyn Manson" Warner/REW and Katty Perry/Russell Brand

Posted by: EricS2 | January 6, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer, that's too funny. Lose points if you are the one who hits the fire hydrant. Score bling by running down cocktail waitresses!

Posted by: northgs | January 6, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Mouse, thanks for pointing out re Angie's kids' inheritance, that no malice was intended.

Lindsay Lohan accuses pal of pilfering fashion sketches.

Maybe it was a public service, to save the world from LiLo's fashion (non)sense.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 6, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Ooo, a Daily Mail UK day! OK guys on this blog, weigh in ... Rachel Weisz most marriable woman? 'splain please ...

Her 3-year-old son is obsessed with breasts (including his mother's) and she thinks that's "so sweet"? Ick Nast and time for a conversation about whatever parents do when their kids are, um, inappropriately obsessed and need boundaries set. Ew.

Katy Perry and the hairy guy have been together what, 5 minutes? Anyone care to take bets on how long that "marriage" will last? (My bet is until the lust wears off, as celebs are notorious for not knowing the difference between lust and making a life together for the long haul.)

Christina Aguilera looks like her head was photoshopped onto someone else's teeny-tiny body.

The whole Johnson heiress thing is so squalid, but probably won't serve as a much-needed wake-up call to her socialite friends LiLo and the Hiltons. Sadly, I'd bet money that will be LiLo someday. I still haven't figured out what she lives on; she doesn't work, so how does she have money to live the life she does?

Posted by: Californian11 | January 6, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Californian, I saw someone on TV last night (Perez Hilton?) forecasting that the next two celebs likely to die of abused health in the tradition of ANS, Heath, Casey and possibly Brittany (i.e., OD) could well be LiLo and Courtney Love, if they don't turn their lives around quickly. Sad, just sad...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 6, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

It's interesting to hear about the diabetes connection to Casey Johnson's death. I guess I should stop saying it was a Tequila overdose.

As far as Rachel Weisz being the most marriable woman, I think it has to do with her easy going and quiet nature. I wouldn't mind waking up to her everyday.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 6, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

tap, tap, tap, is this thing working?....

I second the "ick nast" nomination for the Perry/Brand and Wood/Manson pairings. What are these girls thinking?

Balwmer, I too think you're onto something with your game idea. Could also be a good plot for an upcoming Desparate Housewives episode.

Might have to start watching OLTL again. Would love to see Asa tell Snoop Dog what's what.

Those Japanese whalers better not mess with Bob Barker. I heard what he does to dogs.

Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction back in court. Why, is there new footage they haven't reviewed? (no pun intended! you know footage...shoes?...get it?) Sorry, I tried.

Dishes to woo your woman back, Jake? That's almost as bad as getting a vacuum cleaner for Christmas.

Posted by: hodie | January 6, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they ARE thinking, hodie. Perhaps that's the problem ...

Posted by: Californian11 | January 6, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I am a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal - Reese Witherspoon and i hope they will be back in each others arms as a couple.

Tracy, Status Now