Posted at 11:24 AM ET, 01/ 4/2010

Warren Beatty, crunching the numbers

By Liz Kelly

Legendary lover Warren Beatty in 1972. (AP)

Warren Beatty is, of course, denying he authorized a new biography ("Star: How Warren Beatty Seduced America") claiming he has had sexual relations with approximately 12,775 women. And per the advice of Beatty's attorney, the last thing we'd want to do is "repeat things from the book on the assumption that they are true or that the book is an authorized biography."

That said, Beatty, until his marriage in 1992 to Annette Bening, did have a bit of a rep -- even supposedly inspiring one-time love Carly Simon to pen a song about him. But almost 13,000 women? The mind reels. And here we were wondering where Tiger Woods -- with his now totally paltry alleged mistress count of 14 -- found time to golf. I, of course, had to try to crunch the numbers; to view these women as individual encounters rather than Beatty crowd-surfing a stadium full of potential partners.

Assuming Beatty kicked off his bedroom tour in 1957, around the same time he started his acting career, and wrapped things up in when he married in 1992, he would have had to pack his alleged 12,775 lovers into a 35 year non-stop run.

To break it down:

12,775 women divided by 35 years = 365 per year. One a day.

A Herculean effort for any man, though it doesn't even approach Wilt Chamberlain's claim to have bedded 20,000 women.

Though, according to "Star" author Ron Biskind, the 12,775 total "does not include daytime quickies, drive-bys, casual gropings, stolen kisses and so on."

Is it believable. Yes, says True/Slant blogger Lisa Todorovich, but...

"...even if he did spend a lot of time with Jack Nicholson, you have to figure that at least some of those days might have been spent working. Or in transit. Or he may have had a cold. Or had to go to a funeral. Or meet with his accountant."

Righto, Lisa. But, only think, his accountant may have been a woman. And funeral parlors are nothing if not loaded with private corners.

---

(Special note to young-uns: With the advent of the cell phone, "casual gropings" have since been replaced by "sexting.")

By Liz Kelly  | January 4, 2010; 11:24 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Warren Beatty bedded 12,775 women, claims new book; Matthew McConaughey welcomes second child
Next: Tiger topless on new Vanity Fair cover; Vince Vaughn marries

Comments

What's funny is that before this post and before Dorkus's number crunching on the morning mix, I too got out my calculator and arrived at the same answer. Is it doable? yes. Is it likely? I doubt it. Unless he, as jez suggested, enjoyed 3ways or more. I second the "ick nast" vote for anyone who needs to remove their shoes to count their partners. (But Liz, your 1972 pic above does remind me why he was found appealing).

Posted by: hodie | January 4, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Glad I wasn't the one who whipped out the calculator (as opposed to what Warren was apparently whipping out fairly frequently).

Just a note, Carly Simon has denied for years that Warren Beatty is the subject of You're So Vain. He just happened to be in the studio that day when she was recording, so it's his voice you hear. But, it ain't him.

Posted by: epjd | January 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | January 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

1) Actually, that's not Warren on You're So Vain, that's Mick Jagger. With whom Carly Simon also had a relationship.

2) I can see Warren having sex once per day, but I can't see it being a different woman EVERY day. I mean, he was in and out of relationships, so presumably he had sex with one woman multiple times during that time period. Until he got bored and started fooling around on her.

Posted by: akmitc | January 4, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

If casual gropings and stolen kisses count towards one's "number", everyone would be in the stratosphere.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 4, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11 | January 4, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Good thing they aren't fattening.......

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 4, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

You guys need to brush up on your Carlytology.

From Carly's website, she excerpts a Washington Post (!) interview conducted in 1983:

The Washington Post - 1983

WP: Who was ‘You’re So Vain about? Mick Jagger?

Carly: No.

WP: Warren Beatty?

Carly: It certainly sounds like it was about Warren Beatty. He certainly thought it was about him - he called me and said thanks for the song….

WP: You had gone with him?

Carly: Hasn’t everybody?

WP: No.

Carly: That only means you haven’t met him, though at the time I met him he was still relatively undiscovered as a Don Juan. I felt I was one among thousands at that point – it hadn’t reached, you know, the populations of small countries….

==========
Apparently, over time, it did reach the populations of small countries!

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 4, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Carly is a bow-wow next to some of Warren's lovelies.

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 4, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

thanks mdreader,

I feel my post this morning is vindicated. So Carly DID think Warren was so vain, even tho he may NOT have been the subject of "You're So Vain." Or maybe he was. I have also heard it could have been James Taylor.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 4, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

jez I think carly had other talents to recommend her. weren't you the one who suggested the 3 way this am?

Californian11, so things really are as loose out there as we have heard?

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 4, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

How is it possible that the Beatty was able to perform that many times without suffering from a Chuck Negron-like injury?

Posted by: MrsKerin | January 4, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like I should move out to California.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 4, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

dorkus, california here you come

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 4, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Carly denied it was James Taylor as well.

She did not deny it was Warren Beatty. Officially, she said it was a conglomerate of men. Beatty was likely one of them.

Amazing, however, that in 1983, (27 years ago!) she had him pegged for a serial schtupper.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 4, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, half-a-century ago when Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood were filming "Splendor in the Grass," he caused the break-up of Natalie's first marriage to RJ Wagner by initiating an affair with her. So Beatty's rep was well-established in Hollywood long before "You're So Vain."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 4, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Heh heh. No, sorry to disappoint you. Hollywood is a world unto itself.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 4, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"funeral parlors are nothing if not loaded with private corners." And corpses! Do those count as part of "casual gropings, stolen kisses and so on.."?

Posted by: daveydog | January 4, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

One a day sounds like a good name for a vitamin.

And...there were 9 leap years between 1957 & 1992. Probably not enough extra days for accountants, colds, funerals. As for transit, those were the days of the Mile High Club.

But wait - presumably he had sex with some of those women more than once, so let's say three times each. Like breakfast, lunch & dinner. And, if he had sex with them multiple times in a day...

Posted by: kabuki3 | January 4, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I recall a long-ago interview with Joan Collins where she commented that during their affair Beatty wanted 5X/day, but she found this pace too tiring.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 4, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! Have mercy! So does Annette Benning keep up or did he slow down? Or perhaps she is tolerant? Wishing I had that energy.

Posted by: hodie | January 4, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | January 4, 2010 4:21 PM

********************************************

The only thing I can say is that given Warren's apparent appetite and the fact that we've never once in the last 18 years heard of him stepping out on Annette, she must be doing something right.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 4, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I actually can almost believe the number, but what I really can't believe is that he never had any children until he married Benning. I mean even if the number is one tenth of the rumored total, it would seem that many children could result. Birth control, especially back in those days, is never 100%. Yet, I've never heard of any rumored children.

Posted by: cdfromwa | January 4, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

You are right, Dorkus! For Annette's sake, I hope that Warren has learned it is Quality, not Quantity that matters!

Posted by: hodie | January 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 4, 2010 4:23 PM
==================================
Nah. I think it's called getting old. She grabbed him at just the right time. Still frisky, just not as much as he was when he was younger.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 4, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, I agree. I always thought that relationship and its success was very much about timing. I think he just got tired of the life, decided maybe kids would be fun, and settled down. There were also lots of stories around that time about how diligently he pursued Annette--she didn't just fall into his arms, so maybe it really was/is love.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | January 4, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I've gotta quibble a little with your starting date. In 1957, he would have been 20 -- I'm going to go out on a limb here and say he probably started a bit before that. So, add couple of years and voila, there's your allowance for sick days, transit, and accountant meetings.

Posted by: dmwk1 | January 4, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I doubt seriously that his number exceeds 10,000. ;>}

DLD

Posted by: DLDx | January 5, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

sure he did... and bush actually believed that Iraq had WMD and obama is actually a liberal.
ahuh.