Posted at 7:20 AM ET, 01/19/2010

Wyclef Jean's defends Haitian charity; Dennis Hopper files for divorce

By Liz Kelly
Monday

Headlines: Wyclef Jean breaks down after Haiti charity accused of mismanaging funds... John Travolta organizes Haiti relief flight... Cancer-stricken Dennis Hopper files for divorce... Lindsay Lohan crashes Golden Globe after parties... Demi Moore says "bad hair day" kept her from attending Globes... Claudia Schiffer expecting third child... Holly Madison lands her own E! series... Jennie Garth leaving new "90210"... Prince William takes shot to the groin in New Zealand... Guy Ritchie hoping to open pubs in New York and L.A... Uri Geller suing CNN over Michael Jackson allegations.

Crime Watch: "Teen Mom" allegedly choked by mother...

Rumor Mill: Conan O'Brien gets $32.5 million deal from NBC; can't take Triumph the Comic Insult Dog with him... Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler an item or not?... Alexander Skarsgard and Kate Bosworth spotted snogging at Globes after party?... Brian Austin Green and Megan Fox not engaged... Jessica Simpson and Billy Corgan just friends, says pal... Tiger Woods a patient at Mississippi clinic... Jennifer Lopez to guest-star on "Glee"?

Video: In case you missed it, Ricky Gervais scores on Mel Gibson at Sunday's Golden Globes...

By Liz Kelly  | January 19, 2010; 7:20 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Golden Globe fashion: Robin Givhan's top 10
Next: Surgically-enhanced Heidi Montag: 'Beauty's really within'

Comments

JLo SchmayLo.Neil Patrick Harris will kick her big booty on Glee. I've heard he is gonna be on a May sweeps episode by Joss Whedon.

Posted by: wadejg | January 19, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

"Cancer-stricken Dennis Hopper files for divorce." Well, one spouse dead and one living would be 'irreconcilable differences,' if you think about it.

"Demi Moore says "bad hair day" kept her from attending Globes." Michael C. Hall says, "Weenie."

If I were Uri Geller, I wouldn't sue. I'd just sneak into CNN's cafeteria and ruin all their silverware.

NBC's got some kind of alchemy going there, don't they? They can turn Conan O'Brien and $32M into Jay Leno and Triumph the Comic Insult Dog.

"Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler an item or not?" Reading the question, I had the weird sensation that I'd just witnessed the precise instant when nobody cared anymore. Anyone else?

Not only are Brian Austin Green and Megan Fox not engaged, she makes him wash his own damn car.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 19, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

The description of LiLo's close encounter with Colin Farrell in the above-linked item is breathtaking. Lindsay, get thee a restraining order against your mother, and into rehab, stat.

There was/is an MTV "reality" show about teen mothers? Wow. That *has* to be the bottom of the barrel. Isn't it?

Conan's financial settlement with NBC is nice, but that claim that NBC might retain rights to characters he created is really fascinating. I would imagine that this would have had to be in his original contract, similar to clauses by which entities retain rights to patents (and/or patent royalties) filed by their employees - this isn't something NBC can lay claim to retroactively. Are there any IP lawyers on the board who can weigh in on this one? Or maybe Jeff Zucker just doesn't want to take it, erm, Triumph-style, from The Insult Comic Dog? (You *know* Conan already has that skit written in his head.)

Posted by: northgs | January 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: northgs | January 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double-post. Ghost in the machine.

Posted by: northgs | January 19, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Wait, wouldn't Robert Smigel own Triumph, not NBC? Isn't Triumph his creation?

Posted by: wadejg | January 19, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: northgs
_______________________________

It's actually a decent show that's produced by Morgan Freeman. Much better than the usual Real World hot tub shows they put on.

Posted by: wadejg | January 19, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Oh, great.
A Teen Mother show produced by Morgan "I out-Woodied-Woody" Freeman, who had a sexual relationship with his step-granddaughter?
Yikes. Ick. Really ick. Really really ick.
That has got to be one of my all time disappointment/disillusions.
Sigh.

Posted by: agog1 | January 19, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Mrs. Hopper should fight the divorce. That way she gets everything. Plus widows get more action than divorcees.

Conan had really bad lawyers. The contract did not guarantee him the 11:35 time slot. It allowed NBC to control the intellectual property of his shows. Kinda like if you work for a lab and make a cool new drug. The lab holds the patent, not the creator.

Posted by: epjd | January 19, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"Cancer-stricken Dennis Hopper files for divorce" doesn't surprise me. He was a wack-job long before he had cancer.

Lilo sports high-fashion version of gangsta hooded sweatshirt. what class.

As a Royal, Prince William has been a target many times before.

Since Uri is a pyschic, he should have known they were going to say those things about him.

The real NBC drama has been better than any tv-NBC drama. Too bad its over.

Is Megan Fox interested in being engaged to any guy?

Let's hope Tiger is in that Mississippi clinic.

With both Demi and JLo, today's blog has more double s's than Mississippi.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 19, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

OMG! What is Hilary Swank doing with MY dog?? The dog she is holding looks just like my Maximillian.

Bad hair day? Right. Didn't you once go to the Globes (or someother award show) bald, Demi?

I'll bet the 100 pounds in the little 10yo rugby player's pocket that Harry does care about whose decendants will inherit the British throne.

LOL, JLo to be cast as a cafeteria lady. Wonder if she'll cover Adam Sandler's Lunchlady Land?

Posted by: hodie | January 19, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of REAL celebs (EAP), the Poe Toaster failed to show in Balto. this morning:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

--- Nosyparker

WHOAA. That is news. Amazing. When was the last time that happened?

Posted by: epjd | January 19, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

ep, the article says it's the first time since the tradition began in 1949. If it's been the same guy each year, he could be dead or incapacitated by now.

Any insights from our Charm City contingent?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps the Poe Toaster was a fan of Kate McGarrigle, who died last night.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 19, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Condolences to the McGarrigle/Wainright family and to fans like you, byoolin.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Maximillian sure is cute, hodie! :o)

I just feel sorry for LiLo now. Cringe-inducingly pathetic.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 19, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

What! Thank you for letting us know, byoo.

I love the McGarrigle sisters. I got their first album in college and can still sing most of the songs by heart. Rest in peace, Kate.

Posted by: mat00 | January 19, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Teen Moms is produced by Morgan J. Freeman, not Morgan Freeman.

"Morgan J. Freeman (born December 5, 1969) is an American film director. In 1997..."

I watch that show because I am volunteer for organizations that provide in reproductive health and healthy sexuality education. I find this show, and it's predecessor, infuriating on so many levels.

Posted by: MzFitz | January 19, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks California. Darn, the gallery picture at the top of this page has changed to Sandra Bullock trying to eat Meryl's face. I would much prefer to look at the Maximillian look alike. (He was a stray who adopted us, by the way, and has been with us for 6 years now).

Posted by: hodie | January 19, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, hodie, I was wondering what dog photo people were referring to. Maybe someone can find a URL to it to post.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, if you want to see the Max "look- alike" dog. Click on the gallery, then click on "Last Week's gallery" and then go to photo number six. The dog on the left looks like he could be a littermate of my dog's. My dog is slightly bigger and his tail is tipped white. The only major difference.

Posted by: hodie | January 19, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

JLo on "Glee" as a cafeteria lady?

You think you gotta keep tea iced, you don't
You think I'm gonna serve your slop, I won't