Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 02/22/2010

Celebrity fashion inspiration gets techie

By Liz Kelly

"Who are you wearing?"

Oscar-watchers are familiar with that question and the idea of celebs as walking advertisements -- the biggest names are covered head to foot in gowns, jewelry and shoes donated by designers anxious to ride Oscar buzz to higher sales.

But now some savvy e-commerce types have worked out a way to make money even from a celeb's every day wardrobe choices.

On Sunday, the New York Times explored the new, lucrative business of selling celebrity looks online. For those of you who aren't regular visitors to hardcore celeb-scoop blogs like Celebitchy, Just Jared or INF Daily -- the sites, which post a high volume of paparazzi-snapped star pics -- feature ads directly on pix of several stars that take interested readers to online shopping sites where one can buy either the item the star is wearing or a reasonably facsimile.

Shopt for Jolie's glasses -- neve rmind those pulsing tendons. (Screengrab from INFDaily.com)

For instance, take the Angelina Jolie pic that hit the Internet last week. The focus of the photo were two tendons on Jolie's jawline, tendons which sparked a debate about whether or not the 34-year-old Jolie has had plastic surgery or used Botox to forestall the signs of aging. But, in addition to a dose of voyeuristic speculation, INF Daily allowed an advertiser to tag the pic with a "Shop This Look" ad which features -- among other items -- a pair of $85 dollar Marc Jacobs sunglasses that bear a striking resemblance to Jolie's.

And it may just be working. The Times quotes Ophir Tanz, proprietor of online ad retailer GumGum, who said people click on "Shop this look" badges 5 to 15 times as often as they click on other Web ads.

How influenced are you by celebrity fashion choices? Vote in the poll below, then share your thoughts on copping looks from the stars in the comments section below.

By Liz Kelly  | February 22, 2010; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish split; Angelina Jolie reunites with dad
Next: Simon Cowell, Kristen Stewart among Leno's first 'Tonight Show' guests; Adrian Pasdar charged with DUI

Comments

Does that mean Celebritologists are unfashionable or just fashion leaders & not fashion followers?

I'm going with the leader thing.

Posted by: wadejg | February 22, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"Would you say you're fashion choices have ever been influenced by a celebrity?"

Do Nehru jackets count?

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 22, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I can sum up the reason not to imitate celebrity fashion in two words (actually several sets of two words, take your pick):

Diane Keaton
Britney Spears
Keith Richards
Cher Bono
Ashley Olsen
Mary Kate Olsen
Winona Ryder
Boy George
Lindsay Lohan
Mischa Barton
P. Diddy
Tom Cruise
Kevin Federline

Posted by: dablues1 | February 22, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I am proud to say that I am completely under the fashion influence of one Mr. Tim Gunn.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 22, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

You need to add a third option to the "have you ever clicked a shop that look badge".

Because I've clicked on them occasionally. Not to shop the look, but to either laugh hysterically at the price tag ("These sunglasses are ONLY $2,000!") or how the affordable option is so far off the look that it was pointless to post a badge in the first place.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | February 22, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Ooohhhhh, mdreader, I like it. My celebrity fashion choices are limited to that one U2 shirt without stains on it.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Sas et al., the comments section is already closed on Sally Quinn's Friday piece re her son's upcoming nuptials. Isn't that about the fastest the Post's ever pulled the trigger to stop reader commentary ever?

More intriguingly, does it indicate that Post management:

a) Supports Sally;

b) Has been chastened by the depth and breadth of the (deserved) savageness or reader comments; or,

c) Is looking down the wrong end of a lawsuit on this one, because it's been reliably reported that both parents of the bride who sent out "save the day" cards months ago (Ben Bradlee Jr. and his ex Martha Raddatz), fired off emails to Post management Friday in response to Sally's column, and who wouldn't bet their comments were blistering.

The plot thickens. I can hardly wait for the next installment.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

savageness OF reader comments. (Gah)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, Nosy, if there were censorship (not that I don't love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next paranoid), would Gene W. have been able to get away with his poll for tomorrow? I bet HE'LL take questions -- I just hope the whole chat won't revolve around it. To be honest, I'm bored with La Quinn. Sigh.

I remember when she was young and cool and I wanted to be just like her -- married to Jason Robards and working with Robert Redford. Oh, wait, I always get real life and that damned movie mixed up!

Sorry to go off-topic, Liz.
My only bow to celebrity fashion is, if I need to go to a red carpet event, I want to wear Kate Winslet's dress from last year's Oscars. We're both blonde and of British origin, so it's a given I'll look as fabulous in it as she did. Right?

-Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | February 22, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

So I clicked "yes" my fashion choices have been influenced by a celebrity, but the celebrity in question is Kathryn Hepburn which, in my mind at least, is very different than being influenced by La Lohan etc.

Posted by: talleyl | February 23, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse