Posted at 12:02 PM ET, 02/16/2010

Christina Hendricks's body of work

By Liz Kelly

A corseted Hendricks shows off (some of) her assets. (New York Magazine)

Christina Hendricks says she's tired of talking about her body. An interesting stance for a woman who appears corset-clad in a full body shot on the cover of this week's New York magazine. But maybe she'd do better to embrace the curve controversy spawned three years ago when she made her splashy debut as "Mad Men's" saucy office manager.

Lauded by most as sexy, voluptuous and a welcome break from Hollywood's stick figure Barbie army, Hendricks has also faced some less charitable scrutiny -- one vitriolic New York Times writer endorsed a stylist's declaration that Hendricks is a "big girl."

In the interview accompanying her New York corset spread, Hendricks laments the fact that her curves may have overshadowed her work on "Mad Men":

"I was working my butt off on the show, and then all anyone was talking about was my body!"

And, sure, we get the frustration. Hendricks is one of the show's standout performers (no mean feat in a strong ensemble cast), adding a crucial snapshot of the limitations women of ambition had to face in a pre-feminist working world. But, here's the thing -- the focus on Hendricks's body now only amplifies the fact that while we may have come a long way (baby), women still face objectification and visual scrutiny that would cause most men to wither.

So here's the thing, Christina: Own it. Your bod has sparked a debate. One well worth arguing and, like it or not, you're in a position to advocate for women in the most public of forums. It may be 2010, but you're basically battling the same prejudices that Joan Holloway (her character on "Mad Men") -- and the rest of the women at Sterling-Cooper -- faced. So are the rest of us. The difference is that you can cry foul in magazines with a national distribution.

So get to work.

By Liz Kelly  | February 16, 2010; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Barbara Walters ending Oscar specials; Megan Fox laments lack of class
Next: Brangelina relocate to Venice; Kevin Eubanks leaving 'Tonight Show'?

Comments

The Whedon-verse has long loved Christina Hendricks, as she played one of the best villains on "Firely": the infamous YoSafBridge. (Her character alternately gave her name as Saffron, Bridget and Yolanda.)

What's funny is that when you look at her wardrobe on that show, she never appeared to be a "big girl". She just looked great.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | February 16, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"...like it or not, you're in a position to advocate for women in the most public of forums."

I can advocate several positions in which I would like to see Christina Hendricks, but they would be in private.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, there goes my productivity for the afternoon. Did Producer Paul put you up to this?

By the way, Christina Hendricks was under used in Life.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 16, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

By the way, Christina Hendricks was under used in Life.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 16, 2010 1:37 PM

-------------------------------------------
But was her underwear overused? Perhaps, as you noted this morning, Christina can consult Megan Fox to teach her how to look classy.

On second thought.....I think that American troops will be out of Afghanistan before Megan Fox looks classy.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

No way, she was Captain Mal's WIFE??? Yeah, totally different look when she is cleaned up and not dressed in rags. But, I bet the lipstick is still killer.

So sad we are still fighting the gender wars. Why can't a woman be noticed for something other than her body? As an attorney who needs to find suits that look professional while not being dowdy or like I am heading to the club, this is a real problem. Although I am glad she is bringing curves back in style.

Posted by: epjd | February 16, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Own It, Christina. Time to make "big girl" the compliment it should be and used to be ... back in the days of old, lush voluptuousness was a sign of health and fertility.

Here's to the anti-lollipop real women: Christina, Kate Winslet, Scarlett Johanssen ...

Posted by: Californian11 | February 16, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Christina Hendricks is not a "big girl." She is a normal sized woman with big "girls."

Too bad that normal sized women are the exception rather than the rule in Hollywood.

ep, I don't know what wisdom Christina Hendricks is dispensing in the picture above. And many of us -- male and female -- have to put on the "uniform" when we go to our place of work. Besides, I've long had a thing for women dressed in power suits.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

ep, re female lawyers' clothing, did you see today's online chat with the wardrobe person for "The Good Wife"?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 16, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Christina Hendricks makes me question my heterosexuality...**le sigh**

Big girls, yes, big girl, no. Beautiful, "normal" woman, yes.

Ever see her hubby?

Posted by: wadejg | February 16, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If she were a brain surgeon or teacher or police detective or a host of other professions where one's body shape shouldn't make a damn bit of difference, I'd care.

Otherwise, shut up. You are an actress. And the very part you play is a woman who is voluptuous. It's why you got the job.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 16, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I wish to nominate Christina Hendricks as celebrity spokes model for the Susan G. Komen Foundation. Can you imagine how many adolescent males would pay big bucks for a picture of Christina with the slogan, "Save the Tatas"?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

sas, td, and dorkus: always dragging down the convo.

Before I could, I bow to you.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

sas, td, and dorkus: always dragging down the convo.

Before I could, I bow to you.

Posted by: reddragon1

*********************************************

I like to think we are supportive and uplifting, much like that corset.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 16, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, we make it our mission to keep the snark from sagging.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Hollywood thinks she's a big girl? She's thin! With big boobs! Oh right, she's not skeletal.

Posted by: Guest1234 | February 16, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Do you drooling fellows remember Anita Morris, from the original Broadway cast of "Nine"?

She was scheduled to perform her signautre number during the Tony Awards, until her costume was deemed inappropriate for network TV.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 16, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

signature

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 16, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

sas, td, and dorkus: always dragging down the convo.

Before I could, I bow to you.

Posted by: reddragon1
--------------

ME?! Until now I haven't posted a single comment on this thread. Giving me a bad rep there, reddragon1. (But since you opened the door, I must say that's quite an article of clothing she's almost wearing there. The engineering alone....)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 16, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I described the Christina Hendricks entry in the Celebritology blog entry to my colleague next door thusly:

"The snarkee's a boob, Jim."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"Giving nerds of the world great hope! And giving hot chicks a good name for not going for the typical Hollywood "pretty boy.""

Cate Blanchett could certainly fall into that category, too. Her hubby is most definitely not pretty.

Posted by: Californian11 | February 16, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to be late to this discussion, a couple of days ago there was quite a brouhaha on Metafilter about Christina Hendricks and the NYT blogger.

http://www.metafilter.com/89234/Real-Women-Have-Curves FYI

Holy crap, that link had over 200 comments. Apparently the NYT blogger "stretched" the photograph of Christina Hendricks at the Golden Globes, made her look bigger. And then made the snarky comments about her being a "big girl."

Just to get some perspective, I checked out the blogger herself, Cathy Horyn. To be flat out snarky, she either doesn't photograph well, or she is plain woofy. I think she is jealous.

Posted by: chocolatetiara | February 17, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse