Posted at 7:34 AM ET, 02/ 5/2010

Emma Watson named Hollywood's highest paid actress; Howard Stern headed to 'Idol'?

By Liz Kelly

Mel Gibson, who tells French reporters he's trying to work on his 'short fuse,' poses at a photocall to promote his new movie 'Edge of Darkness,' in Paris Thursday. (AP)
Friday

Headlines: Emma Watson named Hollywood's highest paid actress... Coroner: Pnuemonia, drugs killed Brittany Murphy; Casey Johnson died of diabetes complications... Murphy's husband, Simon Monjack, says she didn't seem that sick... Tila Tequila returns to Twitter... Scarlett Johansson designing handbag for Haiti relief... Naomi Campbell plans fashion show to raise Haiti funds... "K-Fat" nickname motivated Kevin Federline to lose weight... Sara Rue nears weight loss goal... Kate Gosselin returning to "The View" in March... Fans petition "SNL" for Betty White-hosted episode... "Jersey Shore" house for rent.

Crime Watch: Michael Jackson doctor Conrad Murray will surrender to police today, source tells CNN, though it is unsure when he will be booked... Cybill Shepherd's son appears in court on theft charges... Security guards could face charges for posing for Kristen Stewart jury pix.

Rumor Mill: "Idol" producers want Howard Stern to replace Simon Cowell... Jennifer Aniston "wants to be set up with a wealthy businessman"... Charlie Sheen to be charged with felony for Christmas day domestic incident... Madonna hosts dance-off at New York club.

Post Magazine: Celebrate movie brides through the years | Gallery: Hollywood's woman in white

---
Note: I'll be on vacation for the next week, but a superstar line-up of subs will be here blogging to you in my place. See you in a week!

By Liz Kelly  | February 5, 2010; 7:34 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Twits Quiz: Kirstie Alley, Moby, Nick Hogan, John Mayer
Next: 'Avatar' falls from top spot; Butler and Aniston vacation in Mexico

Comments

RIP Brittany Murphy.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 5, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Of course Brittney Murphy's husband didn't notice she was sick -- he was too busy spending her money.

It's easy to be the highest paid actress when you can turn the producers into a frog if they don't cough up the cash.

Travel safe Liz. I am all set for the storm. I got my Shiner Bock. If I can't be somewhere wrong, I can have something brewed where it is warm.

Posted by: epjd | February 5, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad ScarJo could help out by designing a handbag. Haiti is famous for making handbags, so maybe thers a two-fer. The profit goes to Haiti relief, and the factory hires more workers.

oh good. Kate on TV again.

"Jersey Shore" house for rent. As what? A brothel?

So Kristen Stewart (who did nothing wrong herself) is trouble in more ways than one.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 5, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Fans petition "SNL" for Betty White-hosted episode.

I'd love to see a cougar skit where she revives her Sue Ann Niven character from the MTM Show. Or they could have a skit where she flirts with nonagenarian announcer Don Pardo :-)))

Jennifer Aniston "wants to be set up with a wealthy businessman."

So her ambition is to become a "trophy wife"?

Cybill Shepherd's son appears in court on theft charges.

The article mentions that his defense attorney is taking the "no harm, no foul" tack, on grounds that the theft victims got their possessions back by the end of the flight. Well, sure, that's better than not getting the stuff back, but misses the point.

Lizards, stay safe during the storm. Liz, I hope you and Mr. Liz are able to get outta Dodge before your flight can be canceled.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Howard as the new Simon...might be interesting but maybe a little too mean, even for my tastes.

Posted by: wadejg | February 5, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Betty White as a SNL host?! I would totally tune in for that! I love watching reruns of Golden Girls before work in the morning. It's the best way to start my day. So the chance to have Betty White before bed? EXCELLENT.

Posted by: JenEFur | February 5, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

JenEFur, I even watched parts of "The Insider" last night just because Betty was the guest. On the "Worst Celebrity of the Day" segment she smacked down Kanye West. What's not to love?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

To paraphrase Don Draper: "Howard. What a bad idea." Although we could let go of any lingering illusion that American Idol is about its contestants.

Posted by: chantooz | February 5, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

How about Jay Leno to replace Simon, and kill two birds with one stone?

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Is that Gibson's tongue or his lower lip?! Madre de Dios!

Yeah, wow, Simon Monjack, you seem really broken up about your wife's untimely death. Jerkass. I hope the news about Casey Johnson and Brittany Murphy can at least bring some closure for their grieving relatives.

Count me among the people that would love to see Betty White host SNL.

Count me among the many people who would NOT want to stay in the "Jersey Shore" house. That place is probably like the Overlook Hotel from "The Shining" by now. I bet hair gel oozes from the walls and feral hairweaves skitter around at night. And then one night in the bathroom, all the lights go out, and you light a candle to see Snooki looking through the mirror at you...

Stay safe in the snow, everyone! ep, I went out on Wednesday and bought a six-pack of hard cider and a bottle of grenadine. Hopefully we'll both be conscious again by Monday.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 5, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

isn't it time for howard stern to be put to rest...
hasn't he made enough money...
let him retire...
do an American idol for simon's place during the summer...

Posted by: DwightCollins | February 5, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Bawlmer, I totally got the creeps at your Jersey shore description. I'm sure the place epitomizes the phrase "ick, nast".

Dwight Collins you are on to something. Maybe they can do a show like The Next Iron Chef and have the Simon replacement hopefuls battle it out with snarky comments. I'll bet there a plenty of Lizards who would make excellent judges. Stern can snark but can't be trusted not to call a contestant an effing r____d. (I would never say that, for the record). Nor would I call someone a bushbaby, so I guess I wouldn't get the job.

Posted by: hodie2 | February 5, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Emma Watson hasn't actually filmed *anything* in Hollywood. Maybe we should call her "Shepperton's highest paid actress"?

"Tila Tequila returns to Twitter" Liz Kelly, do you read tarot cards as well? "I predict a return. And soon." - February 04, 2010 2:24 PM

"Scarlett Johansson designing handbag for Haiti relief." Well, let's just hope it's big enough for a survivor to carry all of her remaining worldly belongings.

"Naomi Campbell plans fashion show to raise Haiti funds." A telethon would have been more her style, no?

Sara Rue's lost so much weight that now virtually unrecognizable: I can't be the only one who thought, "Sarah Who?"

"Jersey Shore" house for rent. As "a brothel," asks Reddragon. No, as a place for CSI types to practice using Luminol.

"Madonna hosts dance-off at New York club." I don't know who won, but I'm pretty sure Jesus Luz.

Bonne vacance, Liz Kelly!

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, how's the snow up in Wheeling?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait, byoolin, I forgot. You're from Canada. This'll be like mere flurries to you, right?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Stay safe, all of you who live in parts with real weather. Out here on the Left Coast, we're battening down the hatches for ... scattered showers.

Bon voyage and a bientot, Liz!

I've always liked Jen and am cringing at her careening into "pathetic" territory here.

Posted by: Californian11 | February 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

All we ever get here in the lower flyovers is..... rain. and fog. and ice.

but mostly rain.

Just please have all that mess cleaned up by April.

Posted by: dablues1 | February 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I would also love to see Betty host SNL.. Her recurring character on Boston Legal was hilarious.

Posted by: dablues1 | February 5, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

All we get here in The Heart of Texas is sun and warm weather. I don't really understand this concept of water falling from the sky, especially if it's frozen. Weird.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, the snow's just started here. Nothing sticking yet, but big fluffy wet flakes are falling in copious amounts.

And thank you allowing me the opportunity to smirk and say, "Why, I've been dragged naked behind a snowmobile in weather worse than *this*."

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 5, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Glad to dish up a good straight-line for you, byoo!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, you want to try that again? I read the Mistakesman online every day.

However, yeah, I am still not used to this weird white stuff falling from the sky. Especially so much of it. The roads better be clear by Sunday afternoon. I have a Super Bowl party to attend.

Posted by: epjd | February 5, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Nope ep, I got sunlight streaming into my office window at the moment.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 5, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Nice to rub it in Dorkus. A foot due to fall here in North Cinci. By Mr. Hodie's system of measurements that means it will be up to the roof.

Posted by: hodie2 | February 5, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

hodie, you know the old Mae West quote, "I used to be Snow White, but I drifted." Sort of like our driveway's gonna be by tomorrow, I fear.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Well it's pouring rain and cold here in LA, so I feel a little solidarity with you easterners weatherwise for once!

Thanks byoo for shipping me back to England and Shepperton studios...great memories. But I don't think they shoot HP there...

Yes vote here for Betty White on SNL--we still chuckle over her fantastic acceptance speech at the Globes. The woman is a riot.

NONONONONONO vote for Stern and Idol. Good lord, way to kill half your audience numbers in one fell swoop.

Speaking of brides, go to Hax's facebook page for an update on the "worst bridezilla story ever" question from last week--it'll warm the cockles of your heart. (what the heck are cockles of your heart anyway?)
www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 5, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

cat, at least you don't have to shovel rain.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

cat, you're right re Betty White. Wouldn't you love for the Clooney to do a cameo on SNL if she hosts?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 5, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Betty White on SNL would be great. She looks so disarming but my goodness she can be so naughty! (She has quite the potty mouth - I caught a Friar's Club roast that made me blush.)

Posted by: anonymouslurker | February 5, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

She's a trip--would love to see her with George. What an amazing career she's had. I loved Sandra's intro at the Globes.

I remember living in DC and the first flurry of snow would invoke a chinese fire drill go home and batten down the hatches panic attack in city officials--how are they coping with THIS?

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 5, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Great photo of Mel Gibson. Really does him justice. I hope this one becomes the stock photo used for him under every circumstance. Forever.

Posted by: ladyofargonne | February 9, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse