Posted at 8:34 AM ET, 02/ 9/2010

Jackson's doctor charged with involuntary manslaughter; Brangelina sues tabloid

By Jen Chaney

Michael Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray, makes his way into an L.A. courthouse. (AP)
Tuesday

Headlines: Michael Jackson doctor Conrad Murray charged with involuntary manslaughter, will return for hearing in April; Jackson's family thinks the charge wasn't enough... Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie sues British tabloid over split rumors... Howard Stern to replace Simon Cowell on "American Idol"?... Summit Entertainment suing company over "Twilight"-related DVD... K-Fed says he would get married again (that whooshing sound is me, breathing a sigh of relief)... Bill Murray says he's proud of his difficult reputation... Brooklyn Decker, wife of Andy Roddick, is Sports Illustrated's swimsuit cover girl... Andrew McCarthy has run-in with gunman while writing travel piece in Ethiopia; gunman reportedly demanded to know: "Blaine, what about prom?" (Oh, I'm kidding. That joke was too easy.)

Crime Watch: Lil Wayne to be sentenced today in gun case... Charlie Sheen and wife reunited after judge modifies restraining order; "Two and a Half Men" still faces felony menacing and misdemeanor assault charges in alleged domestic violence incident... Gary Coleman pleads guilty to misdemeanor charge related to domestic violence incident.

Rumor Mill: Cameron Diaz allegedly "totally hooking up" with A-Rod... Courteney Cox to adopt?... Jets QB Mark Sanchez reportedly leaves Maxim Super Bowl party with Kristin Cavallari.

Casting and movie news:
Katherine Heigl to star in "One for the Money," based on Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novel... "24" could become a movie... Steve Coogan seriously considering Alan Partridge film... Daniel Dae Kim of "Lost" signed to star in "Hawaii Five-O" remake.

---
Guest Celebritologist Jen Chaney oversees the Post's online movie coverage and regularly analyzes "Lost" with Liz Kelly.

By Jen Chaney  | February 9, 2010; 8:34 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Can anyone quarterback a good movie?
Next: For Oscars, time to sing a new song

Comments

"Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie sues British tabloid over split rumors." They should have named the kids as plaintiffs too; then it could have been certified as a class action suit.

Jen, better get a move on - there's surely going to be stiff competition among all the girls who want a piece of Over-Fed.

"Katherine Heigl to star in 'One for the Money'" - that sound you heard was the Grey's Anatomy production team muttering, "Here we f***ing go again."

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 9, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"Andrew McCarthy has run-in with gunman while writing travel piece in Ethiopia" for that new show on the Travel Channel, "Dangerous Places to Vacation." Next up in the series, Sudan and Haiti.

"Howard Stern to host Idol?"
- Great. I can't wait for the part in the auditions where everyone is asked to take their tops off.

"Lil Wayne to be sentenced today in gun case."
- I know they call him "Lil" but I think he's way too big to fit in a gun case.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 9, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The gunman asked "Seriously, are you crazy? Why would anyone vacation in Ethiopia? Get the f out of my country."

Where does suing over rumors in split come in the list of signs the relationship is over? Or are they just ticked that the media did not allow itself to be controlled for once.

Posted by: epjd | February 9, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Brangelina are protesting waaaaay too much that they aren't splitting up.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | February 9, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Pictures were taken by award-winning sports photographer Walter lioos Pictures http://usspost.com/brooklyn-decker-usspost-5254/

Posted by: susan166 | February 9, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Andy Roddick may not be the world's greatest tennis player, but clearly he's doing *something* right.

Agree totally that "Two and a Half Men" is cringe-inducing, but I'm not sure that that rises to the level of felony menacing. Besides, can't you just change the channel?

Shocker of the day: hot young quarterback hooks up with hot young actress. File under Not News next time?

Cameron Diaz and A-Rod? I thought she was a Dodger fan. Is this Torre's idea of revenge on the Yankees?

Posted by: northgs | February 9, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

re: the Jackson family - what epjd said.

Posted by: jaybbub | February 9, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"Over-Fed", bwahahahaha. Good one byoolin!

"Jackson family named as un-indicted co-conspirators in MJ's death. Secondary cause of death was loss of blood from being sucked dry by his family." Ep you're on fire! What do you guys recommend I use to clean off my screen, now?

Thanks Jen for the Hawaii Five-O reference. Beach music in my head is just what I need as we are buried a second time in a week. Seriously, thank-you!

Posted by: hodie2 | February 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

While I thought Katherine Heigl was cute in some of her movies, she is so NOT Stephanie Plum. Charlize Theron is Stephanie Plum (not Charlize in Monster, just her ability to be convincing as funny AND tough AND otherwise multi-faceted. Heigl can be funny but I don't think she has enough range to properly play Plum.

Posted by: agog1 | February 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Katherine Heigl, meet Katharine Hepburn.

As Dorothy Parker once said of K.H.: "She ran the gamut of emotions from A to B."

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 9, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I actually tried to watch "Two and a Half Men" last week for the first time. To sum up this particular episode (and, I imagine, most others):

* Charlie Sheen crosses his legs like a girl, mumbles a lot, and mugs endlessly for the camera; his eyebrows alone are Emmy-worthy
* Jon Cryer makes equally over-the-top facial gestures and wears a dress
* Holland Taylor says one line and blows both co-stars off the stage and into another zip code.

And there was a way-way-way-too-long sound gag involving a teen's cellphone ringtone featuring the words "smack" and "ho." This is a top-rated TV show.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 9, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Why do I think of the late Nicole Brown Simpson every time I think of Charlie Sheen's wife ...

Posted by: Californian11 | February 9, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

agog, that weeping sound you hear is me crying in my coffee that the Heigl thing is going to play one of my favorite fiction characters. Totally miscast. And totally not sexy enough to entice Ranger. And Heigl's clutziness shtick is not endearing, it's just clutz. Sigh. I'm so bummed. Charlize would have been a great choice.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 9, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse