Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 02/26/2010

Madonna vs. Kim Kardashian: Battle of the iPhone apps

By Liz Kelly

This week, both Kim Kardashian and Madonna found yet another way to invade our lives -- via their own branded iPhone apps.

Lest you think this a revolutionary idea, know that trailblazer Britney Spears picked up on the mobile angle months ago, launching her own app back in November 2009. Lots of other celebs -- Diddy, Lil' Wayne, T-Pain and even Pope Benedict XVI -- have their own dedicated apps, too, with more on the way.

In the spirit of cluttering up my own iPhone so you don't have to, I test drove both the Madge and Kim K. apps this morning. Below, a quick comparison:

(Courtesy Mobile Roadie)

Catchy name? Madonna (Sure, it's quick and to the point.)

Price: free

User Rating: 4 stars and Mobile Roadie CEO Michael Schneider says the Madge app is "our fastest growing app of all time, adding many thousands of users per day."

Description: "Now everything you want to know about Madonna is available on your mobile device. Stay updated on videos, photos, twitter, and more."

Best feature: A deep library of music and video clips ensure the die-hard Madonna fan will never be without a crucial fix of "Papa Don't Preach" or an unbroken lifeline to other Madge fans.

Worst feature: Despite Madonna's having officially sanctioned the app, there's no value-added personal touch from her Madgeness.

Careful: On the first app launch, you'll be bombarded with messages asking if Madonna can send you push notifications (say no) and add you to a mailing list. Also, the app shut down on me when I attempted to watch a "Vogue" video clip.

Will I ever launch this app again? Maybe, but I don't see it joining my regular rotation.

(Courtesy Appetizer Mobile)

Catchy name? The Official Kim Kardashian Application (Ehrm, no.)

Price: $1.99

User Rating: Not yet rated

Description: From the same developer that brought us 50 Cent's "Baby by Me" app (which allows you to crunch useful numbers like child support payments), "Discover different ways to interact with Kim, like shaking the phone to make her talk. Follow Kim's latest tweets, catch up on the latest Kim Kardashian videos and pictures."

Best feature: A virtual animated Kim K. (think video game avatar) that spins 360 degrees, strikes various photo shoot poses and, if you tap her tummy, blows you a kiss. (Yes, I understand this isn't much of a "best.")

Worst feature: Difficult to navigate. Once you wander off into one of the app's many sub-sections it can be challenging to find your way back to the main page. And nobody wants "challenging" from Kim Kardashian.

Careful: At first launch, Kim K. greets you with a loud, icky "Hi doll" audio clip.

Will I ever launch this app again? Just to jeer at it with my peers once or twice. Definitely not worth the $1.99 download fee.

Which celeb's app would you be most likely to download? Let me know in the comments section below...

By Liz Kelly  | February 26, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Celebrity Products
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Andrew Koenig found dead; Coroner: No illegal drugs in Brittany Murphy's system
Next: Gatorade drops Tiger Woods; Marie Osmond's son dead in apparent suicide

Comments

There is a Speidi app. No idea what it does, but the fact that it exists is disturbing enough.

Posted by: Laura118 | February 26, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Two more reasons not to get an iPhone.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 26, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

neither, I am iphoneless. I'm sure I won't miss them.

Posted by: hodie | February 26, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

what you need is a courtney love iphone app... a 3d courtney much like the Kardashian app - but it can be courtney with her hands in steve jobs' pants... and the more idiotic iphone apps you buy in the appstore (like the 2 above) the more options you have for what she does with her hands.

then all the iphone people can be just like iCourtney - vapid and convinced of their own importance.... oh wait...

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | February 26, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Laura118

*****

At first, it's just f****** useless, then half of it disappears and what's left looks completely different than it did before. But it's still just f****** useless.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 26, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I tried the Naomi Campbell iPhone app. When I regained consciousness...

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 26, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 26, 2010 11:38 AM

-------------------------------------------
That description is accurate for 75% of iPhone apps.

Byoo' I think the reason that the IOC is investigating the Candian women's hockey team is that they drank Molson instead of Kokanee for their after ceremony party.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 26, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Bien sur, Sas, bien sur. After all, we know that the IOC is an organization committed to the highest standards of ethics and honesty in sport.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

IOC OFFICIAL: I'm shocked, shocked that female hockey players are drinking beer and smoking cigars in an empty arena.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE: Here is your percentage of NBC's television rights payment, Excellency.

IOC OFFICIAL: Thank you.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 26, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that some spectators at Olympic skiing events have gotten an app which replicates the sound of a cowbell, so they don't have to carry an actual bell with them. Next up, applause and cheering apps?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 26, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

A Quality Kim Kardashian app would let you pat her on the rear end.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 26, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I shudder to think what a John Mayer app would do.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 26, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to have a John Mayer Pick Up Line app. It would say things like:

Baby, if you were a drug I'd snort you all day long.

Has anyone ever told you that you're sexual napalm?

and

Can I wear you a$$ as a hat?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 26, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

An iPhone with the John Mayer app picks you up, not the other way around.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 26, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

An iPhone with John Mayer app posts lascivious Tweets about you.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 26, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I shudder to think what a John Mayer app would do --

No worries... they haven't figured out how to waterproof iPhones yet.

Posted by: dablues1 | February 26, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the John Mayer app only works with the phone in vibrate mode?

Posted by: hodie | February 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the John Mayer app transmits viruses.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 26, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Kim Kardashian is a women who got naked, thats her claim to fame...
Madonna is a world class singer and entertainer...
an artist, kim could'nt even shine her shoes...

Posted by: DwightCollins | February 28, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

No joke - the Wilco app is good. It streams every album they've made.

Posted by: sarahabc | March 1, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse