Posted at 9:59 AM ET, 02/ 1/2010

Poll: Grammy's worst fashion offender?

By Liz Kelly

From moments sublime to ridiculous, Sunday evening's Grammy Award ceremony -- as per usual -- brought out the music world's extremes. But on an evening awash in outre outfits, who stood out as the evening's biggest fashion offender? Vote your conscience below (just click on your pick, then click "vote" at the bottom of the page). Then, check out the rest of the evening's fashion dos-and-don'ts in our exhaustive Grammy fashion gallery.

(Getty Images)

By Liz Kelly  | February 1, 2010; 9:59 AM ET
Categories:  Awards Season, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brangelina surface at Directors Guild Awards; Rip Torn arrested for bank break-in
Next: 'Lost' spoilerage: Sneak peeks abound

Comments

I think you have to go with Britney here since she is presumably trying to look "good" rather than wearing a costume...

Posted by: KKreutzer | February 1, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I would be afraid of sitting next to Lady Gaga when she whips her head around to shush Kanye who may be muttering behind her about how Beyonce should take all the Grammys.

I would be afraid to catch an unwelcome glimpse (at least for me) of Beyonce's shoes which are way disproportionate to her shoulders.

Likewise, would I be afraid for Pink and one strap moving just a little bit
out of place.

I'm afraid Brittney forgot her pants again and I am afraid of what might be living in T-Pain's wig.

Although Rhianna's dress doesn't scare me in any way, I had to vote for it because It looks like a Project Runway loser. However that big blue puff thing on her shoulder would make a handy pillow when they start giving away Technical Grammy awards or when Beyonce gives her 6th acceptance speech.

Posted by: hodie | February 1, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Is Beyonce's dress made out of rubber bands or Silly String?

I voted for Rhianna too.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 1, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Pink and Lady Gaga get a pass since they meant to dress outrageously (and preformance costumes no matter how skimpy of full of 'nude' lycra don't count. Rhianna and Beyonce are allowed to dress as skimpy as they want in their race to the bottom to grab eyeballs. And at least Britney was guarded against any inadvertent vadge flashing. That leave T-Pain in his Mock Me Amadeus get-up.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 1, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

mdreader, my take on Beyoncé's dress last night was that it was a repurposing of Mariah's from the Golden Globes, cut off short, then a whole bunch of beer and soda can pop-tops sewn on.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 1, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

T-Pain looks like he's doing an impression of Tracy Morgan as Tracy Jordan as Thomas Jefferson in that episode of 30 Rock.

And Britney, well, she just looks like Esther Williams got caught in a gill net.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 1, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, you can get away with a lot of strange wardrobe choices at the Grammys but Britney's outfit is just wrong on so many levels.

I don't even consider Lady Gaga in the same category, she's in costume & I think she had at least 3 different outfits last nite, if not more. I expect her to look odd, it's her schtick. I'd be more shocked if she showed up in a normal, designer dress & honestly I hope she never shows up looking "normal."

And what they wear to perform is usually different than what they wear on the red carpet. Performance outfits, like Pink's or Gaga's don't really count in my book.

Posted by: wadejg | February 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I got to go with Beyonce. Shoulder pads really? You're from Houston not Dallas.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 1, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

There is also a difference between looking different, yet polished (Gaga), and just looking a hot mess (Brit Brit). Gaga plays her character full out and I would never want to see her looking completely normal. Even though her style is different, she still looks polished.
...Britney however...just bless her heart...

Posted by: Ohyouknow | February 1, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I would've termed those "Dynasty" shoulder-pads.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 1, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Please tell me those are someone else's Grammys that Lady Gaga is holding.

BritBrit once again proves you can take the girl out of the trailer park....

Posted by: dablues1 | February 1, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Again, no "all of the above" choice.

Britney looks like she put on underwear on (for which we should be grateful) and then forget the dress.

Posted by: epjd | February 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Britney Spears, definitely. The others were either costumes used in performance (Pink) and thus get a pass or utterly silly (Beyonce) who know it but were going for a certain look. Rihanna's just looks bad, but at least all her parts are covered, and she was probably going for some avante garde fashion forward whatever. Britney has the distinction of being the only one who probably thought she looked just peachy.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | February 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Yikes. There was a serious outbreak of ugly at the Grammys. I can't pick just one "worst" - there are so many worthy contenders!

Posted by: jaybbub | February 1, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

jaybbub, I agree. Although I liked Imelda May's retro gold lamé gown for her "How High the Moon" duet with Jeff Beck (even though she either was actually lip-synching or else had so many backing tracks to try to reproduce the Les Paul overdubbing style that she seemed out-of-synch with the vocals).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 1, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Frankly I'm sort of afraid of Pink.

Lady Gaga looks like a very classy Jetsons-era infomercial presenter. Or maybe a NYC "Statue of Liberty" street performer on acid.

Rihanna needs to learn that styling one's hair to match one's dress ruffle never works. And matching one's shoes to some portion of one's outfit is generally recommended (unless one is wearing a solid color, in which case contrast is allowed).

Britney demonstrates her mastery of foundation garments - finally! - but is still working on outerwear.

T-Pain: first, who? Second, WTF????

Posted by: northgs | February 1, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Esther Williams caught in a gill net......

Beautiful simile, Byoo', beautiful.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 1, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I like the description of Lady Gaga as a "Jetsons-era infomercial presenter" - because I would never have bought a set of Spacely Space Sprockets from Billy Mays.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 1, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey y'all somewhere on the interwebs in the last couple weeks there was a link (from Liz?) to Lady Gaga in street clothes. You'd never guess. She is an artiste.

I have to vote T-Pain, but he is the only dude and (full disclosure, so to speak) I like attractive women with various body parts exposed. Or the illusion thereof.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 1, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Ps. Jlo was there too.
Butt I digress.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 1, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought T-pain's getup was part of his costume for his thing w/Jamie Foxx..

Posted by: dablues1 | February 1, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

----

----

I'm sure Bjork tells herself that, too.

Posted by: dablues1 | February 1, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

..."but at least all her parts are covered"

Unlike Lady Gaga in one of her costumes. Yikes.

Posted by: Californian11 | February 3, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse