Posted at 7:46 AM ET, 02/22/2010

Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish split; Angelina Jolie reunites with dad

By Liz Kelly

Update: Padma Lakshmi gives birth to baby girl. -- 9:13 a.m. ET

----

Monday

Headlines: Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish split... Angelina Jolie spends time with dad Jon Voight... Colin Firth says he almost turned down "A Single Man"... Alexa Ray Joel is new face of Prell shampoo... Hilary Duff engaged to hockey player... Sandra Bullock says missing dog was beaten... One-time "Growing Pains" actor Andrew Koenig missing; parents say Koenig suffering from depression.

Crime Watch: Sean Penn charged in alleged paparazzo attack... "Family Ties" actor Brian Bonsall arrested again.

Rumor Mill: Child Protective Services check in on Charlie Sheen's home... "SNL" close to landing Betty White for hosting gig... Is Daniel Craig secretly married?... Fight breaks out at Paris Hilton's birthday party... Lady Gaga pitches fit at magazine photo shoot... Playgirl asks Michael Vick to pose nude.

Pix: Morgan Freeman with a cat on his head.

Video: Catsuited Jennifer Lopez performs at the 2010 San Remo Italian Music Festival...

By Liz Kelly  | February 22, 2010; 7:46 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tiger Woods Apology: Live-blogging the event
Next: Celebrity fashion inspiration gets techie

Comments

They still make Prell?????

Somehow I don't think it is just a rumor that a fight broke out at a Paris Hilton party. The big surprise if it was a calm, restrained, well-behaved event.

Posted by: epjd | February 22, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

You know, I'm at a loss with the whole paparazzi deal. When you see the scrums they form around celebrities - especially notoriously touchy ones like Sean Penn - why are any of these assault cases allowed to even be in front of a judge? They are so aggressive, and frequently THEY touch first, which technically is assault because it's uninvited.

How bottom-feeding can these guys be?

In other news - I was in the grocery store and saw a headline (I want to say it was on People, but I'm not sure). "Elin's Painful Choice". Uh huh. While I am tired of the whole Tiger Woods thing, the first thing that flashed in my mind?

Her choices are divorce Tiger and get a massive settlement (I'm sure any prenup she signed is totally invalidated), be obnoxiously wealthy, and live on the private island she bought, or she can continue to stay with Tiger, be egregiously wealthy, and continue to get a really great upper body workout through regular threats of golf-club beatings.

My sister is getting divorced - I only wish her choices were so painful.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | February 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

When's the last time Ryan Phillipe has been in something, besides a young actress I mean.

I hope Chekhov has better luck finding Boner than he did finding those nuclear wessels.

It looks like the basement cat has a little too much influence over Morgan Freeman.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 22, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"Padma Lakshmi gives birth to baby girl." -- Immediately after the delivery, Padma turned to the OB-GYN and said, "pack your scalpels and go."

"Angelina Jolie spends time with dad Jon Voight" -- She began the conversation with, "everybody's talking 'bout me. I don't hear a word they're saying."

"Hilary Duff engaged to hockey player" -- What the puck is he thinking? "Dude, I am marrying Lizzie Frickin' McGuire!"

"Brian Bonsall arrested again." -- And now, a Very Special "Family Ties."

"Fight breaks out at Paris Hilton's birthday party" -- They were all trying to get through the exit door at once.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 22, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish split.

He was dating someone from NPR? Oh wait, you didn't mean Audie Cornish. Never mind.

"SNL" close to landing Betty White for hosting gig.

Don't dawdle, Lorne Michaels, because our Betty isn't getting any younger. Wouldn't you love to see her do a "cougars" skit, à la Sue Ann Nivens? (Maybe Ed Asner could appear in it in a cameo as Lou Grant).

Morgan Freeman with a cat on his head.

Awww, the cat IS the hat! Liz, did Opie look like this in his kittenhood?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

How awful about Jesse James' dog. There are no words for a person who would hurt an animal like that.

Oh, wait, yes there are - "Michael" and "Vick".

Posted by: jaybbub | February 22, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

jaybbub, as Lizard Island's ambassador, could you please send special Monday love from us all to Cinnabun?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Special Monday love to Cinnabun, and to all four-leggeds who are mistreated or neglected. They deserve better.

Posted by: jaybbub | February 22, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to several Lizards for their snarkalicious comments on Sally Quinn's appallingest-ever column Friday: td, Snarky Squirrel, byoo and especially our resident Cryptid, with his proposal for an Empress of Style Invitational based on the column! (I apologize if I forgot anyone, so please speak up).

Next: Let's all send emails on the topic to Howie Kurtz' online media chat at noon EST today!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Kurtz, check out his "Media Notes" column today on $cientology's latest ploy to build cred. Disgraceful conduct by them (although who would've expected anything less?);

Ick! Nast! to those journalists for selling their souls for a few pieces of filthy lucre.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Sincere Monday love to the Koenig family. Depression is a horrible and remorseless disease.

That said, Boner's still missing. Will the search-and-rescue expenses be paid by Pfizer?

The basement cat on God's head really does look like an imp of mischief.

Alexa Ray Joel to be the new face of Prell shampoo - fitting since the last new face of Prell shampoo was her mother at the same age.

Posted by: northgs | February 22, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Amen, jaybbub. Poor little Cinnabun. :-( I'm so glad she is home!!!

Phillippe unfaithful to Cornish -- NO! I'm shocked, shocked I say. Abbie honey, if he'll do it with ya, he'll do it to ya ...

Is Zahara suffering from the same receding hairline problem as her mother?

According to People, the Jolie-Pitts are in Paris. So much for the 5 minutes in Venice.

Hey, Playgirl: to paraphrase PETA, cruelty is never attractive.

And here I thought they'd already scraped bottom with the Palin kid's baby daddy.

Posted by: Californian11 | February 22, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

-I hear that HBO is optioning the next Paris Hilton party for a pay-per-view special.

-Paris, whoever told you that Mike Tyson was party planner to the stars was really pulling your leg.

- Paris, you wouldn't have these issues if you stopped inviting the Real Housewives.

And finally, because this rundown has been lame enough...

-I want to a fight last night and a party for Paris Hilton broke out!

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

mdreader
I want to a fight last night and a party for Paris Hilton broke out!

Did USA beat Team Canada 5-3?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, well. Howard Kurtz answered ZERO questions about the Sally Quinn embarrassment, and I _know_ that some were submitted. Interesting. Liz, be prepared for censorship if the topic comes up any further here.

Posted by: Georgetown1 | February 22, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Completely off topic - check out the Esquire article about Roger Ebert. I think a couple of you mentioned its existance, so I apolagize for the duplication . . . but it's just really moving. Sorry I can't post a link; our nanny net won't let me get there.

Posted by: badgerfan1 | February 22, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown

And I know that some were submitted, too! Not that I'm paranoid or anything.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"-I want to a fight last night and a party for Paris Hilton broke out!"

LOL ... My vote for comment of the week!

Posted by: Californian11 | February 22, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

mdreader
I want to a fight last night and a party for Paris Hilton broke out!

--------------------------------------------
Rodney Dangerfield is alive and well, and living in Maryland!!!!

The only reason a hockey game didn't break out is that everyone was watching The Russia-Czech, USA-Canada, and Sweden-Finland games in Vancouver.

Advice to Paris Hilton: Do NOT invite Alex Ovechkin to one of your parties....unless you want to see people get decked...early and often.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 22, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Morgan Freeman with a cat on his head....

At least it wasn't his step grand daughter....or Michael Vick.

How many men will drool over Michael Vick's foldout and groan...."Beat me! Hit me! Hurt me! Make me write bad checks!"

After all, Michael Vick has experience in all these activities.

I understand why Howard Kurtz didn't address questions about Sally Quinn. Norman Chad holds the copyright to "Pay the man, Shirley."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 22, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Sas, Georgetown, et al.: the comments section is already closed on Sally Quinn's Friday piece re her son's upcoming nuptials. Isn't that about the fastest the Post's ever pulled the trigger to stop reader commentary ever?

More intriguingly, does it indicate that Post management:

a) Supports Sally;

b) Has been chastened by the depth and breadth of the (deserved) savageness or reader comments; or,

c) Is looking down the wrong end of a lawsuit on this one, because it's been reliably reported that both parents of the bride who sent out "save the day" cards months ago (Ben Bradlee Jr. and his ex Martha Raddatz), fired off emails to Post management Friday in response to Sally's column, and who wouldn't bet their comments were blistering.

The plot thickens. I can hardly wait for the next installment.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

savageness OF reader comments

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, given the toxic public policy columns that Fred Hiatt permits to be published, Sally Quinn's self-serving diary is just so much chicken ***t.

I've frequently seen comments sections closed within 48 hours, usually when the comments are derisive.

Let's see if Andy Alenxander, the Ombudsman, writes anything about the Quinn column. Give him a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, perhaps we can encourage Dana Milbank to write something. However, he may be gun shy after having Mouthpiece Theatre pulled because of a frat house pun on Hillary Clinton's reputation.

Finally, we can always send questions to Gene through Liz, ans see whether any of them are answered.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 22, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I know for a fact that Milbank was sent questions to his online chat today re Quinn's column, but either they weren't forwarded to him by his producer or else he chose (or was ordered) to duck them.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, it appears that Gene and Liz will address Sally Quinn's column in Gene's online discussion tomorrow. The Middlebrow on Gene's discussion page is about the column.

I've already submitted a question.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 22, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I'd suggest that by this juncture the Sally branch of the Quinn/Bradlee celebrity family has descended into sufficient dysfunctionality to join the Kardashians, Lohans, Spearses, Simpsons (Jess, OJ and Homer), the Hiltons and all our other usual suspects. So, let's watch to see whether anyone who sends "Report abuse" complaints re Lizard comments on Sally's behavior is successful in getting them pulled, or if our time-window for posting comments becomes foreshortened.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

There is an alternative. Perhaps we can pique Bob Garfield's interest. Garfield has a brutal sense of humor.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 22, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I'm tired and lazy, so could you please post the URL to Weingarten's page? Thanks, furry guy.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 22, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Oooooh, Sas, maybe Bob Garfield will have something in NPR's "On The Media" this weekend. I missed last weekend's edition, although I think he and Brooke Gladstone tape on Friday (i.e., before the blizzard of controversial reader comments really accumulated and started taking on a life of its own).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the URL, which works. Gotta run now, dinnertime here. Later...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 22, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I was never able to see the Sally Quinn comments - the circle of death kept spinning round... loading... loading... loading. I even tried yesterday after comments closed and couldn't get in. I'm thinking Lizard Power shut the site down.

Posted by: mat00 | February 23, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse