Posted at 12:30 PM ET, 03/15/2010

Amanda Seyfried, starlet in need of a (better) publicist

By Liz Kelly

Seyfried on being photographed: "I pretend I'm looking at a man who is looking right at me, a man who sees me as exceptionally clever and adventurous." (Photo courtesy Esquire)

Amanda Seyfried may be one of Hollywood's fresh faces (as per March's Vanity Fair), but she's also in serious danger of jeopardizing her career with her off-screen, off-the-cuff comments.

Warning bells started going off on Oscar weekend when Seyfried blankly told Ryan Seacrest she was leaving HBO polygamy drama "Big Love" (arguably the role that put her on the map) because "I wasn't working as much as I wanted to."

Ouch. Shades of Katherine Heigl, who in 2007 mounted a successful campaign to destabilize her career by badmouthing "Knocked Up" director Judd Apatow and following up in 2008 by saying she wasn't entering the Emmy race because "Grey's Anatomy's" writers hadn't given her lines good enough to "warrant a nomination."

But back to Seyfried.

In a new Esquire interview, she's added fuel to the fire -- this time not by slighting her employers, but by coming off as unable to filter her thoughts before they reach escape velocity and make it into national magazine interviews. Some choice quotes:

On being a loyal friend:
"I would tell you. I would always tell somebody if they had [expletive] on their face. Especially if it's really feces."

On posing for the photo spread accompanying the article:
"I learned a long time ago that photographs are not theater. This is not acting. It's pretending. I pretend I'm looking at a man who is looking right at me, a man who sees me as exceptionally clever and adventurous."

After popping Lexapro and birth control pills during the interview:
"Yeah, yeah, I'm anxious. And yes, I use birth control."

On her diet:
"I'm on a raw-food diet. It's intense. And sort of awful. Yesterday for lunch? Spinach. Just spinach. Spinach and some seeds."

On her move to New York:
"I sacrificed six years in L. A. I did my job out here. I made the contacts and did the work I had to do. But I came here at eighteen. I'm out of here at twenty-four, and I feel lucky it wasn't longer."

On being a pet owner:
"Most of the time I just want to go home and throw the dog a stick. Can anything be more obvious than throwing a stick? I need to be needed."

Yeesh. What you need is a new publicist. Like yesterday.

After a start in the soaps and a role as Kristen Bell's murdered best friend on "Veronica Mars," Seyfried first surfaced from the ever churning pool of young actresses in 2004's "Mean Girls." Her next big break came when she landed the part on "Big Love." Then came a role opposite Meryl Streep in the movie adaptation of "Mamma Mia" and a co-star (along with fellow quote goldmine Megan Fox) in the flop "Jennifer's Body." Her latest big screen foray, "Dear John," opened in February to unremarkable box office numbers.

By Liz Kelly  | March 15, 2010; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Breaking down the weekend box office, all about 'Alice' edition
Next: Kate Winslet and Sam Mendes split

Comments

I think we've found John Mayer's perfect match. At least she would tell him about the feces.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 15, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think her comments were so bad or abnormal. The whole point of these lengthy Vanity Fair and Esquire type profiles is for the person to be "real." If you want fake, publicist fed info you can watch Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood.

Posted by: buffysummers | March 15, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a relatively new reader of Esquire, only going back a year or so, but that seems about par for the course for their interviews. A little edgier, a little more raw than say, People's usual fare, but other than the Big Love remarks, nothing strikes me as being that inflammatory.

Most Esquire readers are going to look at her picture, bemoan their lost youth and try to hit on a girl even younger and prettier this weekend when their wives aren't looking, anyway.

Posted by: telecomic | March 15, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't we be celebrating that a young Hollywood actress is using birth control?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | March 15, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

This week on Emeril Green, Chef Emeril Lagasse shows you how to make a healthy version of chicken-fried steak, using spinach, some seeds, Lexapro, and birth control pills. He calls his new recipe Sey-fried tofurkey. Look for Emeril's recipe in next month's Esquire Magazine.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 15, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Celebritologists - In Need of a Better Story (there isn't one here).

Posted by: kirstenpaulson | March 15, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Seyfried can sit on my face anytime she wants. And use me like a bicycle seat.

Posted by: biffgrifftheoneandonly | March 15, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Considering what happened to all the other starlets who stayed in Hollywood, her comment about moving to NYC was not that bad.

Nor was the comment about being a pet owner. I kinda liked that one. It's so darn normal. I would rather she be talking about throwing her dog a stick to unwind than seeing pictures of her passed out in front of some club.

The other comments may stray into TMI territory.

Posted by: epjd | March 15, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I didn't think the comments were over the top. At least she's taking care of herself. Hint, hint Lilo.

And if you've had friends who became moms - yes - the "you have s*** on your face" does apply. I have said that once or twice.

First there's shrieking, jumping around, flinging and the required, "Get it off me!" but hilarity usually ensues after this.

Posted by: JenEFur | March 15, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

You really might want to do some research before spouting off.
From BoxOfficeMojo.com: "Dear John broke up Avatar's box office reign at No. 1. Dear John drew $30.5 million, ranking as the second highest-grossing Super Bowl opening gross ever behind the Hannah Montana concert, while Avatar raked in another $22.9 million. Playing on approximately 3,500 screens at 2,969 sites, Dear John's opening was way above the norm for a romantic drama, and it came close to doubling the estimated initial attendance of previous Nicholas Sparks adaptations The Notebook and A Walk to Remember."

Posted by: jonnychampagne | March 15, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

She is so fetch.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 15, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Sign me up as another member of the Actually I Find Her Uncensored Thoughts Refreshing Club.

Posted by: kbockl | March 15, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Seriously! I like that she doesn't measure every single word that comes out of her mouth. That's what normal people are like. I also like that she admitted she has to eat depressing meals like ONLY spinach to work in her industry. You're missing the boat on this one, Liz...

Posted by: jweddel5 | March 15, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

There’s an interesting post over at the Health Journal Club that makes the case that people should just not eat anything that wasn’t a food 100 years ago. Gets rid of the aspartame, bleached GM flour, high fructose corn syrup garbage they try to pass off as food these days. If interested you can read on it here,

Posted by: LincolnsWisdom | March 16, 2010 3:42 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I'm not seeing anything particularly awful or stupid in her remarks. In fact, her comments on getting out of LA sound almost grounded.

Posted by: ronjaboy | March 16, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

The guys who made "Mulholland Drive" needed a better publicist! That was all about the murderous evil and dishonesty of Hollywood. It was written and produced by Hollywood insiders who themselves hate Hollywood, presumably because it's full of Hollywood insiders. What poor little Amanda Seyfried said was comparatively benign!

If you want an example of clear,undisguised Hollywood bashing, "Hollywood" by Charles Bukowski is the best.

Posted by: larryd552002 | March 17, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Update:

All Hollywood actresses should be so lucky as to have Amanda Seyfried's or Katherine Heigl's publicists. Or maybe it's just that starlets can get away with saying anything they wish, when everybody is clammoring just to see them.

Posted by: larryd552002 | March 21, 2010 2:40 AM | Report abuse