Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 03/25/2010

Angelina Jolie: One of the most loved/loathed celebrity moms

By Liz Kelly

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie with son Maddox and daughter Zahara stroll in Mumbai in November 2006. (AP)

More proof that we can't make up our minds about Angelina Jolie:

Parenting site Babble.com asked readers to rank their favorite -- and least favorite -- celebrity moms. You can vote on this very important issue here.

The results are, for the most part, predictable: First lady Michelle Obama tops the "most loved" list while Octomom Nadya Suleman has an ample lead in the "most loathed" column. We like Tina Fey and Jennifer Garner, but loathe Sarah Palin. We are torn about Kate Gosselin. There are a few surprises. Why, I ask, is Tori Spelling so universally disliked? Sure she's a cheesy B-lister, but seems to be doing an okay job of mothering. And how in the heck did Gwyneth Paltrow, at No. 19, end up so low on the loathed list?

But, lookie there -- coming in at no. 4 on both lists is our favorite lightning rod, Angelina. Apparently we are of two minds about this mother of six. Babble.com doesn't seem to have enabled comments for the voters, so no really good or really bad reasons for our love-hate relationship with Jolie are offered. So I thought we could do that here.

Interestingly enough, I can easily rattle off a laundry list of reasons why some might loathe Jolie based on past comments from readers: She stole Brad from Jen, she's a child collector, her jet-setting ways are not creating a stable environment for kids, she kissed her brother, I just don't like her, etc.

The list of what makes her an admirable parent, on the other hand, is a bit more difficult to compile. It's no secret to longtime Celebritology readers that I'm on team Angie, but trying to itemize what makes a mom "good" vs. "bad" is a bit of an exercise in futility. I just keep coming back to the obvious truth that she loves her kids and seems to be devoted to her family.

What do you think?

First, take the poll below, then qualify your vote in the comments section.

By Liz Kelly  | March 25, 2010; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Brangelina, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why Comic-Con should stay in San Diego
Next: Paula Abdul headed to Broadway; Alleged fourth Jesse James mistress hires Gloria Allred

Comments

Angie has made some questionable decisions in her past and possibly will continue to do so in the near future.

But I don't doubt she loves her children and I think she's a great mom.

Posted by: JenEFur | March 25, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Count me in on the "good mom" side. I cannot snark on anyone who adopts not only one but also multiple kids -- and of different cultures (and some of you know that I am an adoptive parent myself).

What a tremendous challenge she's taken on and seems to be succeeding at!

But beyond that, she seems to be giving them love, life experiences, and bags of Cheetos like a regular mother (and not, by contrast, parading them around like dress-up dolls a la Suri Cruise).

Do I think she's this unapproachable humanitarian on a pedestal? No. Do I think she's Person of the Year? No. But I do think her parenting intentions are genuine.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 25, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

It'll all come out in the wash in about 15 years, won't it? I think she's a better parent than Will Smith who's shoving his son down our throat in a starring role in a movie. Do the names Drew Barrymore, Corey Haim, River Phoenix, etc. mean anything to him?

Posted by: flabbergast | March 25, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, let’s see what she teaches her kids: it’s okay to sleep with married men, check. It’s okay to take whatever you want from whoever you want whenever you want it, check. It’s cool to kiss, and I mean really kiss, your brother. I’m looking at you Shilo and Maddox. It’s awesome to sue someone over a name, a Jewish name at that, because you think it’s “your” name. If you get mad at your dad for doing what you do (sleeping around with someone who is married and calling out that your crazy) just don’t talk to him anymore.

And the list goes on and on. She’s a horrible human being who pretends to be a good person for the cameras.

Posted by: son12 | March 25, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"Finding Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie at the French Brocante" last summer in Provence, with some of their kids:
The blogger responsibly blocked out the children's faces.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 25, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of mistakes she's made in her own life, this is a woman who obviously takes great care of her children. People who judge whether or not she's a good mom based on mistakes she may have made in her own life obviously have spent their lives living like angels in a bubble. Grow up and stop judging others! BTW, last I checked Brad Pitt was a grown man with a mind of his own. Therefore, he couldn't be "taken" by anyone. He willingly went to Angelina because he and Jennifer weren't on the same page about many issues in their marriage including the issue of children obviously. These "pro Jen" people refuse to realize that this woman is in her 40s and still hooking up with the likes of John Mayer. Ewwwww.

Posted by: daphy9551 | March 25, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I cannot stand Kate Gosselin because she only cares about enriching her own bank account. At least Angelina actually tries to help others.

Posted by: swissmiss150 | March 25, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone possibly judge the mothering skills of someone they don't even know casually and haven't actually seen interact with her children?

Posted by: Judy9 | March 25, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Judy9

A fair question. One answer might be to see how the kids eventually turn out, e.g., Chelsea Clinton. Although, sometimes nothing that even the best parents could do can change certain circumstances, e.g., organic mental illness.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 25, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Judy... I also think it's a double standard to rate "celebrity moms" without rating the dads. Are we that much harder on women? Seems so. Tiger Woods and Jesse James, I'm lookin' at you dudes.

Posted by: kvs09 | March 25, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

She certainly "acts" as if she loves her children - but she's an actress! So who knows?

And I'm not sure that mothers who are unstable and project that instability on their children love those children any less than parents who create a stable, nuturing environment for their children.

While she may seem to love her children, her parenting skills seem either non-existent or impossible to judge, compared to Michele Obama who seems to have created an incredibly stable environment - and put her children's needs first - even above political issues such as public schools.

Michele Obama has made choices that indicate her dedication to giving her children stability despite the high-profile lives of the parents. Angelina seems to have made choices in her own jet-set lifestyle interests - and hopefully, the children will understand how incredibly fabulous she is and be happy to bask in her glow.

I disagree that Angelina seems devoted to her family. I don't see any devotion. I can project devotion on her based on some cute photo-ops, but I don't see her doing anything that demonstrates devotion any more than I can with Suri Cruise. Katie seems devoted to Suri - but does that equal a good mother?

So people will probably vote on whether or not they like Angleina - not what kind of parenting skills she exhibits.

Posted by: Amelia5 | March 25, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the fence. She seems like she's genuinely engaged with her kids (as does Brad), but on the other hand she and Brad do seem willing to cart them from pillar to post at the drop of a beard bead, and I wonder what that lack of consistency will lead to down the road.

Posted by: northgs | March 25, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey Liz,

Get a life--your own, not some celebrity's. Take your limited journalistic skills and apply them to news and information of value, not voyeurism.

Grow up.

Posted by: dwatkins1 | March 25, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Besides vacuous females who have nothing better to do.

Posted by: kenk3 | March 25, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Troll alert. Where's Sas when you need him?

I have seen nothing to suggest she is a bad mom. You can make huge mistakes in your life and still be a good mom. That I do know for sure.

However the question is, is she your favorite Mom or least favorite Mom? It did not ask what you think of her mothering skills.

Me?, I'm neutral, not that dwatkins or kink care.

Posted by: hodie | March 25, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Saying Angelina Jolie is an actress, that she’s just “acting” like a good mom & isn’t really one, must mean all the other actresses on the list aren’t really good moms either. They’re just “acting” like good moms too: Jennifer Garner, Tina Fey, Reese Witherspoon, Kate Winslet, Halle Berry, Salma Hayek, Cate Blanchett, Uma Thurman, Rachel Weisz, Maggie Gylenhaal, Sara Jessica, Brooke Shields, Kate Hudson, Nicole Kidman, etc.

Stability is defined many ways. A Navy brat, I was in 13 different schools fm. K-12 and grew up fine. Acting families like Dustin Hoffman’s, Ewan McGregor’s & Kate Winslet’s, like the Jolie-Pitts prefer to keep their families together on location. The kids are with both parents & their siblings all the time, they have tutors for their education and the Jolie-Pitt older kids go to the Lycee Francais – a worldwide school system with a uniform curriculum so that wherever they are whatever the time of the year, they can go to school and keep up with their education.

Posted by: ligaya | March 25, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

As an actress, Angelina Jolie is competent, otherwise, I don't much like too much about her. As far as being a good parent is concerned, she may be, however, children need stability, they need to know that tomorrow they will awaken in the same bed. From what I can see, this family are like gypsies, flying everywhere and staying in houses and hotels all over the world. While this may give them an overview of the world, it seems a little jaded to me, too much too soon, their babies and need security. Somehow, I don't think they get it.

Posted by: Listening2 | March 25, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Listening 2, but "stability" and "awaken in the same bed" are not the same thing. Stability is about the family unit, not geography. Ligaya above was a navy brat, I myself was bi-coastal between parents from age 1. Not only did I feel I had a "stable" childhood (despite divorced parents, no question of love and support) my travels and schools and new environments taught me how to land on my feet anywhere, face new challenges anywhere, meet new people and form connections, and basic self-sufficiency from a young age. I think it would have ROCKED to have a bunch of siblings to do the same with. Those are really fortunate kids.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 25, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I think one of the cardinal rules of celebrity parenthood is working to keep your child out of the limelight. This is separate and distinct from your opinion of the parent. In that sense, a wide range of moms from Angelina Jolie (whose children, in all fairness, are only snapped going from point A to point B) to Gwyneth Paltrow, from Michelle Obama to Laura Bush AND Hilary Clinton, have been, in my mind, good role models. I reserve my squirm factor for parents who've used their children as political props on either side of the aisle.

Posted by: novaescapee | March 25, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I loved Angelina Jolie as a mom 1st when she adopted Maddox & said she’d adopt all her children. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for birth children – it’s just that there are so many orphaned & fostered children around the world who need loving parents & homes.

She does what other good moms do on a personal level – spends as much time w/her kids as possible by taking them on location and having them visit her on the set almost daily; gives individual attention with one-on-one dates, all girl dates or Mom & sons dates; gives them room to express themselves with mohawks, colored streaks, nail polish, hats, ties, toy guns, gun holsters, toy swords, tutus, gold and sparkly ballet flats, wear each others’ clothes/hand-me-downs along w/expensive ones. Does art projects at home, the art supply store one of the family’s regular stops.

The family skips the Oscars to go to the director’s kid’s birthday party; they go on a playdate with her co-star’s kids. Brad skips a gazillion dollar gig in Arabia to go neighborhood trick-or-treating with Angelina & the kids. From the beginning, when it was just Maddox, wherever they were, the kids were shown the area/country they were in & taken to playgrounds, parks, nature parks, arcades, amusement parks, museums, toy & bookstores.

I loved that Angelina as a mom didn’t let the paparazzi imprison her kids – and gave them a very rough approximation of ‘regular’ life - and took them to see movies in a regular theater instead of in a private theater in each of their homes, go to kids Broadway musicals, through McDonald’s drive-through, walk to the corner store in New Orleans to get their favorite po’boys & cheetohs, check out a flea market near Chateau Miraval & gelato in Venice.

And that’s not even going into how she respects Maddox’, Zahara’s & Pax’ cultures & heritage, and gives back to their countries of origin. Or how much she’s worked for children here in the U.S. (mostly unknown) and around the world as U.N.H.R.C. Goodwill Ambassador, as well as the millions she’s donated individually since 2000 & as part of the Jolie-Pitt Foundation – almost all directly/indirectly benefitting children, the latest funding building a school for girls in Afghanistan.

Posted by: ligaya | March 25, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, Ligaya! You know way too much about the Jolie-Pitts. You're freaking me out.

Posted by: msame | March 25, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

i do not think angie is a good mother because, i have found from helping to raise many great grand children and others, that the most important thing besides love is a stable home, not strangers taking care of you, the same bed the same people in the home, the same friends, the same teachers, etc.this flying from one place to another every other day makes them insecure, look at their faces, never smiling or even looking happy.

Posted by: widow1234 | March 26, 2010 1:26 AM | Report abuse

I was simply flabbergasted when I read some of the comments posted here, what past that Angie has that is so horrible? She was never arrested for drugs/alcohol/crime, just went through an awkward teenage period and 20s, don't we all? How can Brad be stolen???, he left his X willingly, he seems to be happiest and content with his life right now. Angie is a terrific mother, teaching her kids about the world not the Hollywood crap. She also looks after hundreds/thousands of children around the world through her philanthropy work, visit the UNCHR & CFR site and see what amazing things she’s done over the last few years. If I can be half the person Angie is, I would die in contentment, guess what I don’t even live in USA!!! People around the world adore Angie for her beauty, talent and her philanthropic work she does, seriously, is anybody qualified to judge her???

Posted by: marilynmacey | March 26, 2010 3:30 AM | Report abuse

I am definitely not Team Angie - I really really don't like her - but she comes across as a good mom (mostly because she's generally not photographed with them all that often).

Posted by: Arlington9 | March 26, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

According to Dr. Haim Ginott, the author of "Between Parent and Child:" truly loving parents can mess up their children royally if they don't have the right information. A sad, but true fact. There is no doubt in my mind that both Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt love and enjoy their children and are wonderfully committed to their welfare. The information both parents have, however, may not be the best for the optimal emotional health of their children. A red flag goes up when we worry about whether or not little Shiloh is being lovingly and gently, but consistently, taught about the difference between delightful pretending and delightful "for realing." Hopefully, each of their children is being taught to fully embrace their miraculous gender with pride and to view gender as something that has no limits to activities, learning, contributions and fun. A great opportunity to teach both genders tolerance and appreciation for each other is before these parents. Hope Mr. Pitt quits smoking so he can be around to see all of his beautiful children grow up. He definitely won't be if he keeps smoking. Another sad, but true fact.

Posted by: CaringKate | March 26, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CaringKate | March 26, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Let me start by saying that I'm not a parent but I had a set of them. Being a parent is a complicated circumstance. Some parents are prim and proper, some are weird and eccentric, and there are all sorts in between. As long as you love your kids, show interest in what they do, be supportive and non-judgmental, and give them a firm yet gentle upbringing, then I think that you're a pretty darned good parent.

Posted by: dcbny | March 26, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

People saying that Angie is a "child collector" or that "she's just doing it for the attention" clearly are not parents themselves.

Myself, I have one child and I'm stopping there. I wish I could be the kind of person with the inherent flexibility to have lots of kids, because I like the idea. But I know that's not me.

Kids are a huge deal. Just one changes your life completely... I don't mean your freedom or your finances. I mean every aspect, right down to the way you sleep at night.

Someone who has choices doesn't make this change (or doesn't make it more than once!) for superficial reasons like "to get attention". Angie has choices. She didn't have to give birth, much less adopt more. She chose to, because she loves children. She likes the changes they make in her.

Agree with previous posters that I like what I see of her style: letting her kids choose their own personal appearance, letting them eat *gasp!* non-organic foods, taking them trick-or-treating. It looks like a real childhood to me. If I had her resources, I'd probably be a globe-trotting, French-school enrolling, many-kid having type parent. Alas... it's not just her beauty I'm jealous of.

Posted by: WDC2 | March 26, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

CaringKate - I don't understand your point at all. Are you saying she should be more girley? That they shouldn't let her play pretend?

Posted by: Roxie1 | March 26, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Who are we to judge anyone, she owes us nothing everything she has she has worked her butt off, the media is always trying to stir something up to sell, increase ratings, or just to BS a story. By now we should all know that. Angie is a very protected mother and loves her children very much, as well and brad, its very noticeable, she is very affection to brad and her children. For the grandmom who raise many grandchildren, good for you, god bless your heart, but we are living in 2010, where there millions of moms that don't have a choice but to leave their children with strangers, are they bad, no not at all, they love their children just as much. some Angie she needs help i am sure she would love to be supermom, but knows she can't god bless her for her courage to adopt and have children, and not think of the disadvantages, but the positive of loving, a needed child as well as her own. I give her two thumbs up, she is great!

Posted by: 606andy1822 | March 27, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse