Posted at 7:22 AM ET, 03/ 9/2010

Clooney snuck flask into Oscars; Gabourey Sidibe would 'hit' Gerard Butler

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Celebrity Beat: George Clooney snuck flask into Oscars... Betty White confirms she'll appear on "SNL"... Farrah Fawcett, others left out of Oscar "In Memoriam" segment... Lindsay Lohan had no input into latest Ungaro collection... Simon Cowell says he plans to marry "in the next 10 years"... Funeral service held for Marie Osmond's son... Private memorial held for "Growing Pains" star Andrew Koenig... Alec Baldwin tapped to speak at NYU commencement... "Will and Grace" star Sean Hayes confirms he's gay... Sister wants investigation into Natalie Wood's death reopened... Placido Domingo has surgery for colon cancer.

Pop Culture Mix: Interrupted producer gets his say on "Larry King Live."

Video: "Tron: Legacy" trailer debuts online...

Rumor Mill: Sean Penn in post-Oscar brawl with ex's new boyfriend?... Rep: Tom Cruise not involved in motorcycle accident... Jamie Foxx dating "Clueless" star Stacey Dash?... Kate Moss bans Sienna Miller from Easter party.

Say What?
"I think we're both deeper than normal people--what they think and how they feel." -- Miley Cyrus describes her relationship with boyfriend Liam Hemsworth.

"He's kinda sexy. I'd hit that." -- "Precious" star Gabourey Sidibe on Scottish actor Gerard Butler.

By Liz Kelly  | March 9, 2010; 7:22 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oscars 2010: The report from the Governor's Ball
Next: Lindsay Lohan: Being a big baby?

Comments

"Sean Penn in post-Oscar brawl with ex's new boyfriend?"

There's a shocker!

Say what?

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 9, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

"George Clooney snuck flask into Oscars." And then, apparently, Elinor Burkett took it from him, drank it in one gulp and headed for the stage during Roger Ross Williams' acceptance speech for Best Documentary Short.

"Sean Penn in post-Oscar brawl with ex's new boyfriend?" In Sean's defence, the guy was carrying a camera.

Rep: "Tom Cruise not involved in motorcycle accident." Also, "These are not the droids you're looking for."

Miley Cyrus apparently confuses "deeper" with "thicker."

"I'll need some flour." -- Scottish actor Gerard Butler on "Precious" star Gabourey Sidibe.

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 9, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I love that Gabby Sidibe. She'll say anything!

Posted by: jaybbub | March 9, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

"Jamie Foxx dating 'Clueless' star Stacey Dash?" -- AS IF!

"George Clooney snuck flask into Oscars" -- Odd name for a pretty young girl born after 1980, "flask." Parents these days!

"Farrah Fawcett, others left out of Oscar 'In Memoriam' segment" -- Sean Penn's so mad, he's wishing rectal cancer on the Academy.

"'Will and Grace' star Sean Hayes confirms he's gay" -- In other breaking news, so are k.d. lang, Elton John and Boy George.

"Kate Moss bans Sienna Miller from Easter party" -- There's only so much coke hidden in those plastic eggs and Kate's planning to win this year's hunt.

"Betty White confirms she'll appear on 'SNL'" -- I sure hope the other cast members know to pause when people laugh, 'cause they don't have a lot of practice at that stuff. GO BETTY!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 9, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

You go Gaby.

Clooney sneaks flask into Oscars. That explains so much. I believe someone in the chat suggested he was drunk.

At least the poor guy knows Larry King won't interrupt him to ask any tough questions.

Sean Penn involved in brawl. In other not news, Sean Hayes announces he is gay.

And finally we have Miley. Hon, you're 17 and he is 20. Neither of you is that deep. Trust me on this.

Posted by: epjd | March 9, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Why LiLo had no input into the latest Ungaro collection: she was busy drafting a brief that says E-Trade should pay her $100M because there was a "milkaholic" baby in their last commercial named Lindsay.

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 9, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Queen Liz, the item that Sean Hayes is gay belongs in Not News.

Alec Baldwin tapped to speak at NYU's commencement; some students complaining that he lacks appropriate qualifications. These are apparently senior students who want to hear someone say something Serious and Important at their graduation, as if Serious and Important are more memorable than is Funny in a commencement speech. As long as Mr. Baldwin doesn't make the same mistake, it should all be good.

Posted by: northgs | March 9, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

When did Gaby Sidibe switch from articulate and intelligent to sassy and crude? I liked pre-awards Gaby much better.

Posted by: PipTheCat | March 9, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Clearly LiLo hasn't met Lindsay Wagner, Lindsey Vonn and/or George "Goober" Lindsey and all of them are notorious milkaholics....

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 9, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Kate Moss bans Sienna Miller from Easter party.

I suspect she'll also ban me, since I'm likely to eat the one hors d'oeuvre there.

Lindsay Lohan had no input into latest Ungaro collection.

So someone at Ungaro came to their senses? I recall when their muse was the divine Anouk Aimée...

Betty White confirms she'll appear on "SNL."

YAY!!! But why did NBC never do this as a cross-promotion back in the '80s when she was on "Golden Girls"?

Tuesday love and get-well wishes to Plácido. Tuesday love to the grieving Osmond and Koenig families, too.

Alec Baldwin tapped to speak at NYU commencement.

Heard on "Studio 360" on public radio this past Sunday AM that Alec will also be filling in for Kurt Anderson while he's away (just vacation, I hope). Plus Alec's begun hosting NY Philharmonic radio broadcasts. So maybe he was serious re getting away from acting after all.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 9, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

*Sigh* You're not special Miley - ALL teenagers think this.

Posted by: Lizka | March 9, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

*Sigh* You're not special Miley - ALL teenagers think this. And they're all wrong. Moving on...

Posted by: Lizka | March 9, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I would like Sienna to know that if Kate won't have her, she's invited to my Easter party.

Posted by: paujwill | March 9, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Milk, hunh. So that's what Lindsey's calling it these days.

I wish there was some good way to snark or Gabby's comment's without sounding hideously mean. Ummm....I hope Gerard has that 300 body back?

Sure you are Miley. As deep and soul crushing as the Mariana's Trench.

"Willand Grace Star Sean Hayes"....oh, the OTHER guy.

I wonder if George shared that flask with Jeff Bridges? Would explain a few things.

Posted by: EricS2 | March 9, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey -- Miley Cyrus is celebrating "opposite day!" .. Black is White, Up is Down, Deep is ...

I wonder if we should institute two lists for gay - but not confirmed gay - actors. One would be "don't bother, we know" and the other would be "don't bother, we don't care." IMO that would cover basically everyone who may be gay and has not yet confirmed it -- Unless you're wee Tom -- In which case assuming and mocking is much more fun than actually knowing one way or the other.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | March 9, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Tron trailer!!! NERDS, YO!!!! ELEVENTYONE!!!

And now we know the secret of Mr. Baldwin and Mr. Clooney's staredown; Alec was pissed that George got to sit in the audience and drink Scotch, and George was angry that he'd drunk the whole flask on the red carpet. Next time he should get his date to carry an extra flask in the clutch.

I think Gaby Sidibe was just making a simple statement of fact. "Yes. Given the opportunity, remote though it may be, I would hit that."

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 9, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Placido Domingo.

I think not, Miley.

Good call, Ungaro. If LiLo had no input into your latest collection, you might have a chance of selling some of it.

Oh-kay, Sean Hayes -- tell us something we DON'T know.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 9, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear about Sean Penn. Thought maybe he'd lost his touch after helping out all those people in Haiti.

At least George Clooney admits sneaking flask into the Oscars. Most of the other consumers of strange chemical substances during the ceremony are still in denial.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 9, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: reddragon1

Ahahaha, so true. What, do you think, are the odds of an Oscar-shaped, uhm, "water pipe" existing somewhere in the world?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 9, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Letterman's attempted $2 million extorter is reportedly going to plead guilty Tuesday, get 6 months in prison + 4½ years probation and 1,000 hours community service.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 9, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: miden1 | March 9, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 9, 2010 8:57 AM

------------------------------------------
[salute]

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 9, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What is that when you say exactly the opposite of what you mean? Is there a term for that?

Oh - I know. A "Miley".

"We are deeper in our thoughts and feelings"

REALLY means:

"we are thoughtless and shallow."

Thanks for naming that phenomenon, Miley gal! Let me try a Miley:

Miley, you are talented and interesting!

Posted by: Amelia5 | March 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Q.: What would reopening the investigation into Natalie Wood's death achieve, except to give her sister some media attention?

Posted by: miden1

****

A.: New life to Monty Python's Logician Sketch ("What *also* floats in water?")

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
Bet Jeff Bridges knows.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 9, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Good one Amelia--a "miley" strikes me as a totally worthy addition to our lexicon.

I'm in post oscar blues, another year to wait for our annual free for all. This was the first year I've worked on a film that actually tried to get a nomination (we didn't, I was not surprised--great film but not what that branch of the academy nominates) so the process has been more fun to watch than usual. On the pop culture front, a "Kanye moment" has firmly established itself in the lexicon thanks to Burkett!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 9, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
Bet Jeff Bridges knows.

I'm pretty sure he prefers a straight up spliff. ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 9, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

cat, there was reportedly a huge rift culminating in a settled lawsuit between Birkett (producer) and the director (first guy on stage to accept the Oscar). In general, who's the wronged party in such cases?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 9, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

How two people manage to produce an Oscar winning short subject documentary when they are no speaking to each other sounds to me like the subject for a great short subject documentary. It was my favorite Oscar moment.

And (Paul Farhi) It's not a "Kanye moment" because Elinor Burkett was actually involved in the project. Kanye was an interloper.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 9, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

My understanding of the situation is this: She lives in Zimbabwe and had some connection with the arts. In my experience (having worked on a film that shot in Nigeria) it is ESSENTIAL to have a kind of arts-related "godfather/godmother" on the ground in African countries to get any kind of filmmaking done. Thusly, she was made a producer on the project. The director/producer and HBO decided that the focus of the film should be on Prudence, Burkett wanted the focus to be on the entire musical group Prudence is a part of. She removed herself from project. Lawsuit followed, was resolved. HBO and director/producer went through whole application process to get nominated (arduous); the academy stipulated him as director/producer to accept should it win. My take--she was totally out of line.

One interesting wrinkle I'd like to know the answer to: the application form REQUIRES that all producers on the project sign it, no exceptions. I'd be interested to know if the settlement of the lawsuit somehow let them out of having her sign, or whether she held her signature on the form over their heads to get a settlement. In either case, my sympathies go with the filmmaker and HBO.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 9, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, while I do appreciate the distinction you're making re Kanye moment, I guess I'm going with the slightly broader definition of spotlight-hogging-totally-inappropriate-comment-making/making spectacle of oneself "Kanye moment".

You know, if she'd just gone up and stood next to him, let him finish and then throw in a gracious thanks or something, she would have come off just fine, sympathetic even if it was later revealed she had no business being up there.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 9, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Gabby Sidibe: That Gerard Butler is so darned cute. He reminds me of a six-foot rack of slow-cooked ribs with extra sauce and cole slaw on the side.

Posted by: niceFLguy | March 9, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse