Posted at 11:40 AM ET, 03/ 1/2010

Comment Box: Andrew Koenig; Miss Golden Globes; Mickey Rourke

By Liz Kelly

A missing persons poster for actor Andrew Koenig is seen on a light pole in front of the Olympic Cauldron on February 24, 2010 in Vancouver, Canada. (Getty Images)

When I heard that Boner from "Growing Pains" was missing, my first thought was "hasn't he been missing for the past 15 years?" Does that make me a bad person?

Nope, not one bit. In fact, it pretty much puts you in line with the rest of us who had vague memories of Koenig as a minor character on one of the least memorable sitcoms of the '80s. Frankly, I wouldn't have been surprised to learn Koenig was a peripheral player on "Gimme a Break" or "Small Wonder." And despite such an auspicious start in acting, Koenig's career -- at least as far as we couch potatoes were concerned -- trailed off into obscurity once he left "Growing Pains" in 1989.

That isn't to say that Koenig didn't continue working. In fact, he continued in bit parts on series television, landing small roles in "My Sister Sam," "21 Jump Street" and a "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" episode. But he seemed to find his niche in comedy, working with an improv group, writing, producing and directing his own short films and working as a producer on the podcast "Never Not Funny."

Koenig was also committed to humanitarian work, traveling with his father ("Star Trek" actor Walter Koenig) to several Burmese refugee camps on behalf of the U.S. Campaign for Burma.

So why did his disappearance and death capture so much attention, prompting CNN to send out a breaking news e-mail alert when his body was eventually found in Vancouver? Do we blame the 24 hour news cycle that demands constant care and feeding? Or is tabloid journalism -- Enquirer-esque news grown bionic thanks to the Internet -- to blame? Or, are we ultimately responsible -- given our high interest in the recent tabloid-worthy over-coverage of the deaths of celebrities as varied as Michael Jackson, Anna Nicole Smith, Brittany Murphy and Casey Johnson?

My guess: all of the above.

Mavis Spencer (left) with mom Alfre Woodard walks the red carpet at this year's Golden Globes. (AP)

Miss Golden Globes? Okay, so I missed it this year -- who was it?

This year's Miss Golden Globe -- traditionally the daughter of an a celebrity -- was Mavis Spencer. Who? Mavis is the lovely daughter of Alfre Woodard and husband Roderick Spencer. Past designees include Rumer Willis (daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis), Joely Fisher (daughter of Connie Stevens and Eddie Fisher) and Laura Dern (daughter of Diane Ladd and Bruce Dern). And, yes, sometimes sons of celebs are included in the fun, too. For instance, Freddie Prinze Jr. and Dominik Garcia-Lorido (son of Andy Garcia) have both assisted at the annual awards show.

Comment of the Week:
"I thought Mickey Rourke WAS Conan the Barbarian's father..." -- reddragon1 in response to news that Mickey Rourke's latest casting news.

By Liz Kelly  | March 1, 2010; 11:40 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gatorade drops Tiger Woods; Marie Osmond's son dead in apparent suicide
Next: About This Blog -- An update!

Comments

... and he was Boner.

You just can't have fond memories of Boner Stabone.

Posted by: MzFitz | March 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Liz I have to take offense to you calling Growing Pains the least memorable sitcom of the 80s. I clock in around 5 yrs younger than you and my friends and I were OBSESSED with Kirk Cameron and therefore loved Growing Pains. Come on - show me that smile!

And RIP Boner.

Posted by: sjcpeach | March 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I believe that's Andy Garcia's daughter...

Posted by: jalves55 | March 1, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Liz, you're dead wrong about Growing Pains. Perhaps it's your age, but I was born in '78 and definitely watched Growing Pains. It was, in fact, very memorable and a great sitcom (not Cosby show great, but still great compared to the drivel on today).

And, yes, Boner was also very memorable. When a bunch of us heard Boner was missing, we weren't saying, "Who??" We all knew who he was.

Posted by: rlalumiere | March 1, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Great catch, jalves55!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 1, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

What does "Boner" stand for?

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 1, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hottest Miss Golden Globe? Ever?
Linda Evans!!!!

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

thankee, Queen Liz.

There was a TV show called "Growing Pains?"

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 1, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Bravo, reddragon1! Well earned.

The Koenig thing. It's very sad when ANYONE has depression and commits suicide. It is unbelievably tragic. I feel for his family and that of Marie Osmond.

But most of the reason Koenig got so much media attention was because of his father being Chekhov. This was not about "Growing Pains."

Think about it: If suddenly either Cousin Oliver from "The Brady Bunch" or Ricky from "The Partridge Family" went missing in the same way, few in the media would bat a jaded eye. It's sad, but it's true.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 1, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Ricky from the Partridge Family?

Yeah, I had to look up who he played when I saw "Andrew Koenig, Growing Pains star" missing. Of course, just appearing on a show gets you star designation these days.

Posted by: epjd | March 1, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

jezebel3, re: what Boner stands for -- setting aside the obvious "tee-hee" opportunity here, it was a nickname for his character, Richard Stabone. And I have to chime in with the other late-'70s posters here -- I never missed an episode of Growing Pains. Boner wasn't really a Cousin Oliver character (the show had little Chrissy for that) -- he was more like Cockroach on the Cosby Show.

Those were some good times. What a shame Koenig's story ended this way.

Posted by: editrix76 | March 1, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Your guess is dead wrong. Andrew Koenig's case got ongoing attention because the people who loved him--especially those of us whose lives he touched in the past years, when the rest of you mistakenly thought him no longer "known"--rose up and refused to let his disappearance fade away, spread the word, and wouldn't stop. And in that way you're missing the point. He wasn't like the hordes of other "child stars" who, God bless them, have spiraled into addictions and pleasure seeking self-indulgence gone wrong. He was the polar opposite. Get it straight: yes, he was beloved by many in the way celebrities of all levels are, second-hand, and that helped the notoriety of the situation, but it was friends and family who found him, friends and family who kept the word out. Many of us just "regular" people, but people he touched. Look deeper; you might find a very real story to tell.

Posted by: SubiagaJr | March 1, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I loved Growing Pains when I was a kid, and Boner was my favorite character by far on that show.

Calling suicide 'selfish' is just as selfish an act as it denies the subtle connections that exist between us yet are ignored (due to selfishness). I wish I'd have sent him some fan mail, too late now :(

RIP Andrew, and God bless your family and friends in this dark time.

Posted by: snipe4fun | March 1, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The article refers to young men assisting at the Golden Globes and uses Dominik Garcia-Lordo as an illustration. When I did googled this name, images of a young WOMAN result...??

Posted by: alexandriaginni | March 2, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse