Posted at 8:07 AM ET, 03/15/2010

Corey Haim linked to prescription drug ring; 'Alice' tops weekend box office

By Liz Kelly
Monday

Celebrity Beat: Corey Haim's name found on illegal prescription linked to drug ring; city of Toronto paying funeral costs, says Haim's mom... Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jamie Kennedy split... Demi Lovato confirms she's dating Joe Jonas... David Beckham ruptures Achilles tendon... Heidi Montag lands cameo in upcoming Jennifer Aniston movie... David Schwimmer to marry longtime girlfriend... Actor Peter Graves ("Mission:Impossible," "Airplane" dead at 83 | Gallery.

Pix: Gallery of the Absurd's take on Lindsay Lohan, milkaholic... Matthew McConaughey and son Levi... Ryan and Tatum O'Neal lock lips.

Video Rewind: Jerry Seinfeld drops in on "SNL's" Weekend Update...

Gabby Sidibe visits E!'s "The Soup"...

Pop Culture Mix: "Alice in Wonderland" holds on to No. 1 spot at the box office... MTV bans Lady Gaga's "Telephone" video... "Brothers and Sisters," Cynthia Nixon, Joy Behar honored at GLAAD Media Awards... NBC may pick up "24" if Fox cancels it... Larry David working on eighth season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm"... Austin's Brad Bourland ranks the 9,331 most beloved English-speaking films... NYT's Manohla Dargis on how the Oscar wins for Kathryn Bigelow may change attitudes toward female filmmakers... Hitchcock posters re-envisioned in most awesome fashion.

Reports from SXSW: Lines get longer, buzz gets louder for films at this year's South by Southwest festival... Reactions to "Kick-Ass" range from "fast, furious and funny as hell" (Wired) to "never quite finds enough cohesion or dramatic clarity" (Cinematical) to "doesn't live up to its title."

Rumor Mill: Kate Gosselin "difficult" on "Dancing" set?... Emma Watson single again? Or dating fellow Brown student... Martha Stewart "stalked" potential beau, says ex-pal... Joaquin Phoenix not playing Edgar Allen Poe in upcoming movie.

By Liz Kelly  | March 15, 2010; 8:07 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oscars 2010: Talking to our local nominee about his Oscar night
Next: Breaking down the weekend box office, all about 'Alice' edition

Comments

RIP Peter Graves.

"Larry David working on eighth season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" '

Yeah, baby!

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 15, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Actor Peter Graves "Mission:Impossible," "Airplane" dead at 83.

Wasn't it just a week or so ago that Lizards were invoking some of his memorable lines from "Airplane"?

David Beckham ruptures Achilles tendon.

Nature's way of telling Becks it's time to hang up the cleats.

Kate Gosselin "difficult" on "Dancing" set?

What should this be different from anyplace else?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 15, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

RIP Peter Graves. I hope your coffin does not self-destruct in 5 seconds. We promise not to disavow all knowledge of you.

Kate Gosselin being difficult comes under non-news.

I don't know what a Demi Lovato is, but she should realize that some things are better not spoken of.

That Jennifer Love Hewitt just can't keep a man can she?

Posted by: epjd | March 15, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

ep

Outstanding tribute, ep!

That Jennifer Love Hewitt just can't keep a man can she?

Maybe her guys find the rhinestones too scratchy.

Ryan and Tatum O'Neal lock lips.

Can't believe I'm defending these two, but if the photos are representative, then it wasn't as if there were any tongue involved.

Austin's Brad Bourland ranks the 9,331 most beloved English-speaking films.

Now he's going for 10,000. Some people really need to get a life.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 15, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if it's a sign that I'm getting old or not, but I really could give a !@#$%^&* about the "Telephone" video. (Though I agree with the article on MTV's increasing irrelevance - my first thought when I read the sentence was "MTV still airs videos?")

We get it, Lady Gaga - you're an artist. As evidenced by the whole "no pants" thing. Every artist I know was big into wearing whack-job clothing so they'd get maximum press coverage.

Nice voice, catchy tunes, pretty face. It's bad enough the last one is more of a prerequisite for getting a music contract these days than the first two, but this is just getting ridiculous. I always feel bad for whoever is sitting behind her at these event shows when she insists on wearing the tall/wide head gear.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | March 15, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Joey, you ever see a grown man naked?
RIP Peter Graves.

David Schwimmer getting ready to marry his British girlfriend. I feel like I've seen this before.

Jennifer Love Hewitt is single again? I guess now would be a good time to invest in vajazzling.

So MTV won't air a music video, how does this change any of their programming?

Who does Tatum O'Neal think she is? Mackenzie Phillips?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | March 15, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I say we all go see a galadiator movie in Peter Graves' memory. And quit calling be Shirley.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 15, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

"Demi Lovato confirms she's dating Joe Jonas"

You really don't want to know what he's using his purity ring for now.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 15, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Demi Lovato confirms she's dating Joe Jonas"

You really don't want to know what he's using his purity ring for now.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 15, 2010 9:59 AM

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 15, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Toronto says nobody's talked to them about paying for Haim's funeral: “The City of Toronto has never received an application for assistance with the funeral costs for Mr. Haim,” said Kevin Sack, the director of communication for the city, in a statement. (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/780010--city-not-paying-for-corey-haim-s-funeral?bn=1)

I thought a Demi Lovato was something you got at a Starbucks.

"Ryan and Tatum O'Neal lock lips." Hey, now, c'mon you two - what do you think is, a funeral?

MTV bans "Telephone", devotes 3 minutes of time saved to air more "Jersey Shore."

Sure, you say Kate was "difficult"; she says she just got tired of hearing Buzz Aldrin saying "I'd like to be the second man on YOU."

"Joaquin Phoenix not playing Edgar Allen Poe in upcoming movie." Nor, for that matter, will he be playing the famous American poet Edgar Allan Poe.

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 15, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

yellowjkt, It was Leslie Nielsen that you don't call Shirley.

Mr. Bourland, so that's all of them, then.

Joaquin playing EAP. Not that much of a stretch.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 15, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Considering that I haven't thought Jerry Seinfeld or SNL have been very funny lately - I really liked that Weekend Update segment.

Posted by: sjcpeach | March 15, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Kate Gosselin is capable of NOT being difficult.

What's up with her hair? It looks like a cheap wig (which it probably is). Can't she get better extensions than that?

Posted by: JLRGG | March 15, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to SNL for having a skit that is funny!

Posted by: JLRGG | March 15, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Looking at other columns in today's WP, like "Politics has Sexual Undertow" and "Rielle Hunter Speaks Out" the political columns seem to be really Celebritological. I was somewhat dissapointed that "Undertow" wasn't a direct reference to Bill Clinton, but it could have been. I'm thinking our dual monarchs are having some influence on the rest of the paper.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 15, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Oh, let's hope! We've gone far too long with women being denied their chance to shine in.....

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 15, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Get well David Beckham - I sure hope this isn't a career-ender. But if you can maintain that physique, you'll always have Armani.

RIP Peter Graves.

Posted by: northgs | March 15, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Take two...

::::Excuse me, y'all, this is Kanye West and while I hate to interrupt MDReader...again...I need to point out that some very successful films were directed by women.

"Big" Penny Marshall
"American Psycho" Mary Harron
"Lost in Translation" Sofia Coppola
"Point Break" Kathryn Bigelow
“Sleepless in Seattle” Nora Ephron
“Wayne’s World” Penelope Spheeris
"Howard Stern's Private Parts" Betty Thomas
and one of my all-time favorites,
"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" Mary Heckerling.
Pretty impressive. What is not impressive and should be the subject of a fancy magazine article is that none of these directors are sisters. Listen, I don't need to read another article about how white women are so put upon. Just sayin'.
Hey, let's get back to MDReader's fine observations. Sorry to interrupt. Kanye out.::::::

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 15, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Even though I am a Celebritology fan, it never occured to me that the e-trade commercial was referring to Lilo when they called baby Lindsey a milkaholic. Makes sense to me but perhaps she needs to get over herself thinking people know her by first name only. Madonna she is not.

Posted by: hodie | March 15, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

A one-handed round of applause for SNL and Jerry Seinfeld. The clip was about nothing.
Really.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 15, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"Ryan and Tatum O'Neal lock lips."

RYAN: Do you have a kiss for Daddy?
ED ROONEY: Oh, so THAT'S how things are in their family.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 15, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Tatum and Ryan - isn't there an even bigger ICK aspect to that kissing picture?
Didn't he hit on her at Farah's funeral?

Maybe he's still interested?

Super ICK.

Posted by: Amelia5 | March 15, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I love the Gallery of the Absurd, but they made one mistake: they put pants on LiLo.

JLH's breakup should be under "not news". She is a serial engagement-breaker.

The O'Neals: major ick nast, esp. given how jealous Tatum was of her father's girlfriends when she was a kid and how she always tried to break them up ... ew, ew, ew.

Purity ring?!? Ew.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 15, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Jane Velez-Mitchell on "Issues" has been doing a great job covering this story every night. Commercial says she has new developments. I'm addicted.

Posted by: JVMfan | March 15, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"British actress Kate Winslet splits from husband"

Didn't we call that one a year ago, when she gushed about Leonardo?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 15, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry that the Winslet-Mendes marriage is on the rocks.

The silver lining is that Kate is now available. Go get her, Dorkus!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 15, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Yep, totally predictable. I think Leo only dates models, though, so Kate might be SOL on that one. (I think Kate is utterly fabulous, BTW, and much better-looking than models.)

Posted by: Californian11 | March 15, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, most excellent post and list of movies. Minor edit--it's Amy Heckerling. But whatever, mary, amy, close enough with a bit of transposition and drop the "r"!

She's great. And "Look Who's Talking" was HUGELY successful $$ wise--they made it for pittance and it grossed nearly 300 million worldwide.

Sas, in view of the entirety of today's post, it's really a good thing you predicated the "Kate is now available, go get her Dorkus!" with a reference to "Winslet-Mendes"...I was for a brief second wondering what you had against poor Dorkus that you'd sic him on Kate Gosselin.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 15, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Corey Haim is such a huge loss for his family and fans! If you know someone dealing with addictions, help them get help by calling the Free 24 hr addiction Hotline at Journey Healing Centers, 1-866-774-5119 or visit http://www.journeyrecoverycenters.com It’s staffed with Addiction Specialists who can tell you what signs to look for + how to be supportive.

Posted by: JourneyHealingCenters | March 16, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse