Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 03/22/2010

Fashion statement: America Ferrara's red carpet one-piece -- hot or hideous?

By Liz Kelly

(Reuters)

On Sunday, America Ferrara -- star of the soon-to-be-history "Ugly Betty" -- walked the red carpet to promote her new animated feature, "How to Train Your Dragon."

We all agree America's a knockout when not wearing her dowdy "Betty" Garb, but how does her strapless one-piece ensemble -- paired with heels and an '80s inspired belt -- stack up? Do we give her credit for the nod to "Charlie's Angels"-esque glam or is this a look best left in the '70s? (It should be noted that pleating is clearly visible in the pants legs.)

By Liz Kelly  | March 22, 2010; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Breaking down the box office: A 'Wimpy' win (of sorts)
Next: Sandra Bullock backs out of another 'Blind Side' premiere; Conrad Murray interrupted CPR on Michael Jackson to hide drugs, says witness

Comments

I need to check to see whether her boobs are real.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 22, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

That look is bad on everyone.

Posted by: Guest1234 | March 22, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Second poll needs more options. Some of us are straight guys.

Posted by: wiredog | March 22, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

As far as me not wearing that look, I wouldn't wear 90% of what shows up on the red carpet.

Unless it's Hugh Jackman, then I'd wear him EVERYWHERE!!

Posted by: wadejg | March 22, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Even though she's wearing it better than most, the look is a no. Love her, though. I finally saw Real Women Have Curves and she was phenomenal in it.

Posted by: eet7e | March 22, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

it just doesn't flatter her figure

Posted by: vankrasn | March 22, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Agreed with vankrasn- she has a beautiful curvy figure that's getting lost in those pants. I'd also throw in a bigger belt and/or more color somewhere- the uniform black looks pretty stark.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 22, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

What wiredog said re: second poll option.

Olivia Newton-John called; she wants her "Grease" costume back.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

America hawt
Pantsuit not

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 22, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope it's comfortable, because it doesn't have looks going for it.

Posted by: northgs | March 22, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I think she is just a bit too short to pull this off. She seems out of proportion but otherwise it is very cute and is a trend this year. Get used to seeing pantsuits again. (Saw it on Martha while home convalescing).

Posted by: hodie2 | March 22, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Pants are not red carpet worthy on women. Sorry. I'm old fashioned. Glam is dresses, not pants. Even Audrey Hepburn worn dresses on the red carpet.

Posted by: epjd | March 22, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm contrarian (straight guy here), but I LOVE this look.

Posted by: SportzNut21 | March 22, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Her hips are too big for the look.

Posted by: ronjaboy | March 23, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

I think she looks adorable, even in her Betty garb. God bless America!

Posted by: catsndogs | March 23, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I love it too! She looks great. And her hips look big??? You have to be kidding... I don't even see hips at all. Did we forget what hips look like?

Anywho, I would try it on in a store, if I looked like her in it, I'd totally wear it. Go America!

Posted by: smynola06 | March 23, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse