Posted at 8:12 AM ET, 03/12/2010

Haim died of pulmonary congestion, says mom; Conan O'Brien announces 30-city tour

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney

Co-stars Dakota Fanning (left) and Kristen Stewart pose at the L.A. premiere of their new movie, 'The Runaways.' (AP)
Friday

Celebrity Beat: Based on early coroner's report, mom claims Corey Haim died of pulmonary congestion; no official cause of death expected until toxicology reports complete.... Haim to be buried in Toronto... Madonna gives relationship advice on "The Marriage Ref" (Watch online)... E-Trade: Lindsay Lohan's claims "without merit"... Olympic skater Johnny Weir calls Kate Gosselin a "nasty person"... Billy Corgan slams John Mayer for talking about Jessica Simpson's sex life... Adam Lambert says LSD helped him become a pop star... Video: Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg visit D.C. to promote "The Pacific"... Elizabeth Taylor outraged over reaction to Kathy Ireland's Oscar night performance... Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez thanks Sean Penn for rushing to his defense... Amy Winehouse teams up with Fred Perry to launch fashion line... Actor, NFL star Merlin Olsen dead at 69.

Pix: Christina Ricci snapped, umm, partying in Paris.

Pop Culture Mix: Conan O'Brien announces 30-city tour... Katherine Heigl almost on her way out of "Grey's Anatomy" ... Chris Meloni leaving "Law and Order: SVU"... Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman team up in "Change-Up" ... In other comic-actor collaboration news, Jason Segel and Ed Helms to star in "Jeff Who Lives at Home" ... A summer re-release for "Avatar"? ... Kristen Stewart reacts to trailer for "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" ... And so does vocal online "Twilight" fan Emma Clark ... "Wizard of Oz" set for 3-D remake?... "Wolf Hall" receives National Book Critics Circle Award ... A peek at "Day & Night," the Pixar short that will screen in front of "Toy Story 3"... Man creates world's biggest house of cards.

Crime Watch: Georgia man who threatened Elton John arrested.

Rumor Mill: Tiger Woods hires former White House spokesman Ari Fleischer to help get his career back on track... The Enquirer attempts to out "Hurt Locker's" Jeremy Renner... Swelling Lady Gaga trapped in outfit on trans-Atlantic flight?... TMZ: Vicodin, valium, haloperidol and Soma found in Corey Haim's apartment... Richard Belzer denies choking Apple store employee... Michael Lohan's ex arrested for hacking his phone?

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney  | March 12, 2010; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Why the media can't resist Corey Haim, and other celeb deaths
Next: Friday List: '80s movie remakes -- dos and don'ts

Comments

Sooo bummed that Detective Stabler is leaving SVU... But I read that article and Mariska Hargitay is even more cool in my eyes now.

Posted by: LTL1 | March 12, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

PS

mariska hargitay Mariska Hargitay is the ONLY funny thing about the Love Guru...

Posted by: LTL1 | March 12, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

When I saw Madonna giving marriage advice on "The Marriage Ref" last night my first thought was to wonder how I was able to receive a television signal from a bizarre alternate universe when all I've got is basic cable.

E-Trade: Lindsay Lohan's claims "without merit". What they wanted to say was, "Are you f***ing kidding me?" but their lawyers advised against that specific language.

Johnny Weir's hagdar seems to be in working order.

Did you ever notice that people who build the world's biggest houses of cards NEVER think to make sure it has a deck? Seems like an oversight, somehow.

I'd been at best apathetic about Tiger before, but Ari Fleischer? Now I know the guy's a dirtbag.

"Michael Lohan's ex arrested for hacking his phone?" Right. Like someone smart enough to *use* a phone would date Mike Lohan...

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 12, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Madonna on the The Marriage Ref? I mean I know she has plenty of marriages to draw experience from....

Georgia man who threatened Elton John arrested. Said police, "Well he'll be put away for a long, long time."

I love Ari Fleischer. I know he's completely full of it and lying to my face but he does it so well.

At first I thought it said Ryan Reynolds and Batman team up. Which would've made for the awesomest episode of Two Guys and a Girl.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | March 12, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"There should be a bar for which one goes to prison for these kinds of biases"~Sean Penn, 2010 graduate of the Hugo Chavez School of Free Speech

Posted by: ASinMoCo | March 12, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

LSD, Adam Lambert? Well, that certainly would explain some of Paula's weirder out-there-ness.

Amy Wino and designer collaborating on a fashion line. And will Miss Original Heroin Chic herself, Kate Moss, be the "face" of the line?

Christina Ricci, please get your stuff together - you have real talent and an instinct for interesting stories. Don't do this!

Chris Meloni leaving SVU is a tragedy; Heigl leaving Grey's, not so much.

Posted by: northgs | March 12, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Very upset over Meloni leaving SVU. Goodnes knows I don't watch the show for the storyline.

Posted by: epjd | March 12, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Through a momentary lapse of judgement I too flipped briefly to "The Marriage Ref." I couldn't believe it was really Madonna. She has about as much cred as Sean Penn does as political analyst.

At first I thought the bit was going to say Johnny Weir dated Kate. Then I realized how wrong that is on so many levels.

I think Sean and Hugo should launch a fashion line.

Liz and Jen, you teases. This is not the first time I've read that Heigl is leaving GA. But no, the pain continues. And also Ellen Pompeo.

Didn't Conan O'Brien used to be on TV?

Hiring Ari "tell them you didn't have sex with that woman" Fleischer is the first thing Tiger has done in a long time that makes any sense.

Belzer obviously thought he was choking another customer.

Adam, a lot of people who took LSD thought it helped them do things. Just one more hallucination.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 12, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Just say no to marriage advice from Madonna.

Couldn't be less interested in a Conan O'Brien tour.

Very bummed that Chris Meloni is leaving "SVU". (Or, as my son calls it, "MFC" - "mutilated female corpse".) But I'll keep watching as long as Mariska and Ice-T remain!

Posted by: jaybbub | March 12, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Christina Ricci wasn't wasted, her neck just got tired of holding up her head.

Posted by: MStreet1 | March 12, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Christina Ricci wasn't wasted, her neck just got tired of holding up her head.

Posted by: MStreet1

********************************************

MStreet for the win!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | March 12, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

There are other people on SVU besides Mariska? OK just kidding, but between Meloni's leaving and Belzer's rap sheet, Ice-T (or is it Ice Cube? I can never keep them straight) should push his agent for second billing. Carpe diem, Iceman!

A new "Wizard of Oz" in 3-D would only be watchable if Dr. Tongue from SCTV's Monster Chiller Horror Theatre is in it.

Madonna is giving marriage advice and Sean is engaging world leaders. We're sure a long way from 19, 19, 1985.

Elton's stalker pled his case by saying, "I'm not one of those who can easily hide."

Trying to wrap my head around the phrase "Kathy Ireland performance."

RIP Merlin. I hope someone sends flowers via FTD to your wake.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 12, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else detect a pattern to this morning's mix?

Liz Taylor: "Kathy Ireland wasn't drinking on Oscar night. I'm an expert on drinking so I oughta know.

Madonna: "Listen, pal, your wife is hardly a raging shrew. I'm an expert on being a raging shrew..."

Ari Fleisher: "My client is not in denial about the mess he's in. I ought to know since I represented someone for three years who was in deep denial."

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 12, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Snap, mdreader!!

Amy Winehouse + fashion ... now there's a contradiction in terms.

Why does anyone care what a figure skater has to say about a reality show train wreck?

Posted by: Californian11 | March 12, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Olympic skater Johnny Weir calls Kate Gosselin a "nasty person."

Turns out Weir's not skating on figurative thin ice re this one, since Kate used to live next-door to some of his cousins in PA. What inquiring minds really want to know, though, is since Weir favors Buzz Aldrin, what does he have to say re Kate's fellow DWTSer Evan Lysacek? (Wonder if the literal fur will fly)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I still can't get over that Corey Haim was taking 85 Valium a day at one point. Holy crackers! I took 1 Valium once before a medical procedure and it knocked me flat for 2 days, plus another day of awful hangover effect. How is it possible to not drop dead from 85 Valium A DAY?

Posted by: Californian11 | March 12, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

ep and other interested Lizards, be sure to see Jen's afternoon post, "Oscars 2010: Talking to our local nominee about his Oscar night," in which she interviews NoVa documentarian Gregg Helvey:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse