Posted at 2:29 PM ET, 03/ 9/2010

The 'Lost' Five: Points to Ponder Ahead of 'Dr. Linus'

By Liz Kelly

Mr. Linus (Michael Emerson). (ABC)

While Jen is winging her way back from Los Angeles in time to join me in writing the dueling analysis after tonight's show, I sat down and hammered out a list of five questions I'd like to see answered on tonight's episode, "Dr. Linus." Do I have any inside knowledge that the episode will go in any of these directions? No. Like you, I'm flying blind. But with only 12 eps to go, time for elegant explanations to "Lost's" long-simmering mysteries is running out.

1. Is Aaron on the island?
Jen is convinced that the tow-headed boy of eleven-ish who appeared on the island in "The Substitute" to chide MIB about the rules is none other than an inexplicably aged Aaron. Nutty Claire, too, is sure he's on the island. Why? Because her new BFF MIB told her so. But MIB isn't exactly the trustworthy sort.

2. Does what happened in the past five seasons even matter any more?
This came up in last week's "Lost" Hour discussion and it is a question worth asking. For five seasons we have tried to grasp the through line tying together characters and plot twists with the hope that it was all leading somewhere and would -- at some moment yet to come -- suddenly untangle to reveal "Lost's" greater truth. Much time has been spent questioning the significance of things like blast door maps, dreams, quantum physics. But, then came season six -- or, really, it started in the season five finale -- and the show seems to have suddenly turned into a game of chess between Jacob and the Man in Black with our characters merely pawns at their service. Where is the continuity, dude? And why did we read all those books?

3. Are we overdue for the death of a main character?
Sayid died, but not really. Locke is dead, but still a presence in the form of MIB. And Claire may be dead, but we're not abso-tutely sure. Last week, Dogen and Lennon bit it, but who really cares? As we creep closer to the bitter end, though, there is a certain inevitability we must face -- not all of our beloved Losties will make it to the finish line. The promo for tonight's episode hints that Ben could be in serious danger of biting it. From the promo: "The man who brought death to so many will face his own demise." Say it ain't so. Can't we start small, with Ilana or someone else who isn't Michael Emerson? Gah!

4. What is the deal with Richard Alpert?
Not only do we really not have much of a clue about where this guy came from, but now he's running around the island like a fugitive jumping out of bushes to warn people away from MIB. On this front we may at least be headed for some satisfaction. From a recent TV Guide interview with actor Nestor Carbonell:

"We have gotten to that point where there is an episode that deals with the origins of Richard Alpert and the bigger questions about his character, as well as bigger questions about the island and the mythology of it. It's an episode that reveals a lot."

Good then.

5. Who is Jack's baby mamma?

I know, I know -- Jen posed this poser last week, too, but it's just too juicy to let drop. In last week's chat, we speculated that characters from Juliet to Libby could be the mother of young David Shephard. Then, (and I don't think this qualifies as a spoiler) later in the week news broke that Michelle Rodriquez -- Ana Lucia -- will be returning in some capacity this season. Could she be the mother of this brooding youth? Hey, if the attitude fits...

Comment and share your own burning questions below...

By Liz Kelly  | March 9, 2010; 2:29 PM ET
Categories:  Lost
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan: Being a big baby?
Next: Lindsay Lohan confirms she's out at Ungaro; Letterman extortionist pleads guilty

Comments

5. My money's on Juliet as Jack's baby momma. Does Ana Lucia even have blue eyes?

3. I think Ben's days are numbered. His usefulness has expired. Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

Posted by: CafeBeouf | March 9, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm so excited about tonight (as I always am on Tuesday afternoon!) and I, too, would like answers to those questions. I'm new around here, so just went through the book club archives and I'm sad I missed out. Did you read Joyce?

Posted by: smynola06 | March 9, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Does it even matter if a character dies at this point? They just end up in flashbacks. For flashforwards. Or flashsideways. It's not like Michael Emerson is going to end up like Mr. Eko or Ana Lucia.

Posted by: ah___ | March 9, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I just hope they give more information on the history of the island in terms of the Black Rock, the four toed statue foot, Adam and Eve, etc. And I am hoping that they are able to tie it all into the shift over to MIB vs. Jacob.
If this is all just a power struggle between the two men, I will be highly disappointed...

Posted by: Ohyouknow | March 9, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I think.

LOST started as
(L)and (O)f (S)cientific (T)esting,

then was,
(L)and (O)f (S)hifting (T)ime,

and will end as,
(L)and (O)f (S)econd (T)houghts

where each character will come to a metaphysical fork in the road.

Posted by: 1_Chicago_View | March 9, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think that Alex looks like she's got Walt's Disease?

Granted, she didn't sprout about seven feet like he did, but she definitely looked older.

(And a LOT older from her days on Malcolm in the Middle)

Posted by: ooyah32 | March 10, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

1_Chicago_View - excellent!

Posted by: mat00 | March 10, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

@Ooyah-Considering that Tania Raymonde was 14 when she appeared on Malcolm in the Middle 8 years ago, of course she looks a lot older. I actually think she carried the part of high school teen pretty well considering she's actually 4 (developmentally intensive) years older than she was playing.

Posted by: talleyl | March 10, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse