Posted at 3:02 PM ET, 03/ 2/2010

The 'Lost' Five: Things to ponder before tonight's episode

By Jen Chaney

(ABC)

Another Tuesday means another episode of "Lost." (And for me and Liz, it means another late Tuesday night trying to coherently analyze what just happened while we scour the Web for screen shots and Wikipedia entries that succinctly summarize important sections of the Bible.)

Before we plunge once again into Los Angeles, the temple or any other random lighthouses that may suddenly get thrown into the mix, I offer this list of five things to ponder before tonight's episode, entitled "Sundown."

1. The Jack baby mama drama: Last week we learned that in our current, refreshed L.A. timeline, Jack has a son named David. But we still don't know who David's mommy is, other than a. she's a woman and, b. she's estranged from Dr. Shephard.

During last week's "Lost" Hour discussion, some of you speculated it could be Juliet. Others suggested Kate, although that seems unlikely since Jack and Kate don't seem to know each other in the narrative that's currently unfolding. Based on Julie Bowen's response to a question posed by E!'s Kristin dos Santos prior to last weekend's "Lost" and "Modern Family" panels at the Paley Center, the mother probably isn't Sarah.

Meanwhile, during the "Lost" portion of the Paley Center proceedings, LindeCuse said the mother is definitely someone we already know. Of course, I expect it will be a few episodes before we get an answer to this. But it's an issue to keep on simmer as we continue trucking along through the final season.

2. Who is Jacob expecting to come to the island?: Speaking of that wacky lighthouse, we learned last week that Jacob wants to guide someone to the island. Is it Desmond? Charles Widmore? Is it possible we'll get a hint in tonight's episode? Fingers crossed.

3. Speaking of visitors...: I will issue no spoiler alerts here, but I know for a fact that a certain untrustworthy character that we came to know during season four will return tonight. How? Why? Where? I'm all Vinnie Barbarino beyond this point. But I'll let you noodle over who this person might be for the rest of the day. Or, you know, go to another Web site where they actually issue spoilers.

4. Will Sayid die? We're well into season six and so far, no one has bitten the dust. Well, besides John Locke, but he was already dead. You know, sorta. Tonight's episode is Sayid-centric. And the plot summary issued by ABC implies that Mr. Jarrah may take extreme measures to save his friends from his infection. Will he merely leave the temple and go into exile? Or will he let himself get killed, or do the deed himself?

5. Will Sun finally reunite with Jin? As mentioned previously, this episode may be Sayid-focused, but its title is "Sundown." And in keeping with the pattern established so far, in which season six episodes mirror those from season one, Sun should factor in here somehow. Will she get back to the temple and finally see her beloved husband again?

Tune in tonight to find out, then tune into this blog tomorrow morning, when Liz and I will act like we actually understand what's happening on this crazy show.

By Jen Chaney  | March 2, 2010; 3:02 PM ET
Categories:  Lost
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hollywood's most influential celebs?
Next: 'Hurt Locker' producer banned from Oscars

Comments

Let me know when they do an episode centered on Anna Lucia, and I'll watch. Theoretically it would not be for the same reason you-all do, but my daughter has a theory involving Sawyer and his shirt (or lack thereof) that if true might show we aren't all that far apart in motivation.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 2, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about those questions, I'm soooo excited that LindeCuse are going to reveal the meaning of the "Hurley bird." Thank God. I don't know if I would be able to survive without knowng that vital nugget.

Posted by: buffysummers | March 2, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The Hurley bird is Mr Cluck come to life, seeking revenge...

Posted by: chunche | March 2, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Jack's wife will be Penny. Didn't see THAT coming, did ya?

Posted by: literaryalpha | March 2, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Or could his wife be Libby?

Posted by: Roxie1 | March 2, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking Penny, too.

The musical talent connection--Daniel Faraday, son of Eloise Hawking and Charles Widmore. So, Penny's half-brother...

Posted by: chunche | March 2, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, half-"brutha"

Posted by: chunche | March 2, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

**I offer this list of five things to ponder before tonight's episode**

What? When did we start getting pre-episode posts?

Is this where we can start early with our comments AFTER the show?

It would seem to be apparent by now that Sayid turned evil a couple of seasons ago. Tonight, after his encounter with The Tempter (MIB), leaves no doubt -- that, and his creepy zombie smile.

Posted by: ooyah32 | March 3, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

"Others suggested Kate, although that seems unlikely since Jack and Kate don't seem to know each other in the narrative that's currently unfolding."

Hmmm...don't seem to know each other EVER? Or don't seem to know each other ANYMORE because they are estranged?

Posted by: PerfectlyCromulent64 | March 3, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse