Posted at 10:36 AM ET, 03/ 2/2010

Winner's Circle: Randy Quaid

By Liz Kelly

(AP)

Tuck your John Candy jokes firmly back into your cheek. That isn't Candy -- it's erstwhile acclaimed actor Randy Quaid, all smiles as he exits a downtown Santa Barbara courthouse on Monday following a preliminary hearing -- along with wife Evi -- on felony charges of defrauding an innkeeper.

And what's that in Quaid's hand? Why it's his Golden Globe award, won for his role in the 1987 miniseries "LBJ: The Early Years." Why bring it to a court hearing? Could it be to intimidate the plaintiff, who likely doesn't have a Globe of his own? Or perhaps to dazzle the authorities into dismissing the charges? Or is it to remind us that Mr. and Mrs. Quaid are on the fast track to out whackadoodling Gary Busey?

You be the judge. I'm sure the actual judge overseeing this crazy train would be happy to step aside.

P.S. Quaid's most recent project? The straight-to-DVD movie "Balls Out: Gary the Tennis Coach." Tagline: Small balls. Big ambition. Take note, Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

By Liz Kelly  | March 2, 2010; 10:36 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kate Gosselin signs on to 'Dancing with the Stars'; Jay Leno returns to 'Tonight Show'
Next: Hollywood's most influential celebs?

Comments

Oh, Randy, Randy, Randy.

But he looks just tickled pink with his award, so I'm happy for him. All is well in Randyworld.

Posted by: mat00 | March 2, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Or maybe all is not well... is that a "Ffff@#$@ THIS" forming on his lips?

Hard to tell. Randyworld is a mysterious place.

Posted by: mat00 | March 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

How far Randy's fallen from the glory days of "Davis Rules," one of my favorite underrated sit-coms ever, though due mostly to Jonathan Winters and Bonnie Hunt.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 2, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Nosy_Parker for remembering Davis Rules. And you're right--the interplay between Bonnie Hunt and Jonathan Winters was hilarious.

Let's not forget, however, that Randy Quaid was once an actor of great promise. His turn in The Last Detail, as a dim young sailor being escorted to prison by Jack Nicholson, was heartbreakingly real.

Posted by: jhpurdy | March 2, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

It looks like he's about to start an angry ginger rant.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | March 2, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Yikes! The two bowzwers at the top of the page are rough!

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 2, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Q What's the dif between Randy Quaid and the young LBJ who stole elections and twisted arms?

A LBJ fought cleaner.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 2, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow, looks like Cousin Eddy's been living on that nuclear test facility a little too long.

Posted by: EricS2 | March 2, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I remember back when Dennis was considered the irresponsible Quaid brother. Roles reversed now.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 2, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

He reminds me of Steve McCroskey in Airplane when he announces "I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue."

Posted by: dablues1 | March 2, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see R. Quaid is now a joke. His LBJ and especially his role in THE LAST DETAIL (which I just netflixed last week)are reminders of better times. Check them out!

Posted by: talitha1 | March 2, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

mat00, I believe you are right. That is an f-word forming on his lips.

Wonder how pulling out the old statue worked for him. I think when I talk to my boss about a raise I'll bring my 7th grade swimming trophy.

Posted by: hodie | March 2, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I always wondered what happened to Larry "Bud" Melman. Apparently he dyed his hair red and went on steroids to hone that aged Red Skelton look. Yikes!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 2, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Randy Quaid is a good actor. He's just personally a sleazeball. Much like Alec Baldwin.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 2, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Geez Jez, that's pretty harsh. Want to post your pic for everyone to critique?

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 2, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse