Posted at 1:14 PM ET, 03/23/2010

Your chance to travel back in time, 'Hot Tub'-style

By Jen Chaney

If you're like most people, you probably began this week by asking an important question: Should I join John Cusack on Friday and travel back in time, with some help from a Jacuzzi tub, excessive alcohol consumption and a high-octane energy drink?

The answer, in the form of a full movie review of "Hot Tub Time Machine" from the Post, will come later this week. In the meantime, I can tell you that the movie isn't going to win any Oscars (shocker), but it has some amusing moments and some bit players that will rock your '80s-nostalgia world.(Hello, McFly?)

It also inspired me to ponder this philosophical question: If I could go back in time and change something about the '80s, particularly from a pop-culture perspective, what would it be?

Before Liz and I answer that question -- and we will, in Friday List form later this week -- we want you to attempt some answers of your own and post them in the comments below. Feel free to take various approaches in your responses. For example, you might:

Choose to simply participate in a major cultural event you missed. "If I could travel back to the '80s, I would totally make sure I was in the front row at Live Aid."

Decide to go in another direction fashion-wise: "If I could travel back to the '80s, I would definitely not wear a Queensryche T-shirt in my senior yearbook photo."

Or -- and this is my favorite category -- completely alter the course of pop culture history: "If I could travel back to the '80s, I would get cast as an extra on 'Cheers,' pull Shelley Long aside between takes and tell her that I've seen the future and she must stay on the show because the only thing that will come of her leaving is 'Troop Beverly Hills.' Taking this action would prevent Kirstie Alley from ever being cast in the role of Rebecca and, by extension, ultimately save humankind from 'Kirstie Alley's Big Life.'"

You get the idea. So start commenting. Liz and I will feature the most creative responses in this Friday's list. So now it's time to go back ... to the future!

Actually, it's back to the past. But whatever. You know what I mean.

By Jen Chaney  | March 23, 2010; 1:14 PM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reality Check: 'Dancing with the Stars'
Next: The 'Lost' 5: Points to ponder ahead of 'Ab Aeterno'

Comments

I would go back in time & kill the inventor of acid-washed jeans.

I would also go back in time & oops, 'cancel' Michael Jackson's appointment with his plastic surgeon.

Posted by: blahblah6b | March 23, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I am hitting the mall for a Hypercolor T-shirt and a stableful of My Little Ponies. Oh, oh! And jellies, lots of jellies.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 23, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I would also discreetly inform my younger self that pink plastic frames on my glasses are not, in fact, stylin'.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 23, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I would totally participate in Hands across America - my mom didn't let me and well we all know how it turned out with OUT my help.

I would also attend that Duran Duran concert that my mom wouldn't let me go to (sensing a theme?) because then I'd be immortalized in that crowd shot in "The Reflex" video with all my friends.

Posted by: LTL1 | March 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd also hunt down and break up Spencer Pratt's parents before they consummate their relationship.

Posted by: LTL1 | March 23, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd steer Ozzy away from the drugs & myself away from those black spandex pants with red & black zebra tattered edge cut outs.

Oh yeah they make a great Halloween costume now, but the looks one gets when one has to explain that one may have actually bought them in Ocean City when one was younger & much stupiderer...well...let's just say the folks at work worry about me sometimes.

Posted by: wadejg | March 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd get all those poor TV kids some therapy.

Posted by: Roxie1 | March 23, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I would put into a coma the network suit who greenlighted "Joanie Loves Chachi", thereby changing... nothing. I would also make the casting director for "Full House" change up every season the pair of little-girl twins who played the annoying little brat, rather than just letting the original two grow up on the show - thereby sparing us the Olsen twins.

Posted by: northgs | March 23, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't play Sun City.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 23, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ah the 80s. If I could do it all over again....

* First, I'd make sure Luke and Laura never met, thus sparing "General Hospital" fans decades of dreck.

* Second, I'd convince Pamela Sue Martin to convince her to stay on "Dynasty" so we wouldn't have to suffer Emma Samms.

* Last, I'd accidentally destroy the final studio cut of "Don't Worry, Be Happy."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 23, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I would work for the FDA and declare home perms unsafe for use on children. (Thanks, Mom.)

I would also stop the invention (or at least ruin the manufacturing) of colored braces rubber bands, because they don't look as good in pictures 20 years later as you think they would.

Posted by: mdem929 | March 23, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

If I could go back to the 80's, (and trust me I would love to), I would see if I could get Patrick Swayze to quit smoking to cut his chances of developing pancreatic cancer and ask him to teach me to dance.

I would also not waste my time on the crush that consumed me during highschool of the guy who turned out to be gay.

I would buy stock in Apple and Microsoft.

Posted by: hodie | March 23, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd give all the 80sw hair bands a collective buzz cut, and I'd shove that multi-colored cube up Rubik's butt.

And I'd go after D.B. Cooper's stash before Mount St. Helens covered it over.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 23, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I'd go back and convince Steve Pink that while he will soon write great screenplays for "High Fidelity" and "Grosse Pointe Blank," they won't be so great that later directing something called "Hot Tub Time Machine" won't wipe out those achievements.

I'd also advise him that a video store clerk named Tarantino is going to make fun of his last name in a few years; best to milk that one for what it's worth, too.

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 23, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

RE: Live Aid. I am still bigtime POd that I missed it. I was working in a popular deli/market in the Philadelphia area and my college roommate stayed at my place with her then-squeeze so THEY could attend. Really, it still gets me hot under the collar.

Posted by: chunche | March 23, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

If I could go back to the 1980s, I would find George Lucas. I would tell him that "Star Wars" and his "Indiana Jones" movies will become cherished classics in the 21st century.

But I would also offer a warning regarding the number of films to make for each franchise: "No more than three! No more than three!"

Thus, I would save the world from the cinematic tyranny of Jar-Jar Binks and nuked fridges.

Posted by: ablasko | March 24, 2010 12:24 AM | Report abuse

I would go back and become a casting agent for Disney for the 1993 casting of the Mickey Mouse Show and send young Ms. Britney Spears back to Louisiana. While I admit it would deprive us of some good tabloid fodder, I think the world would be better off.

Posted by: RiverCityVA | March 24, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I'd tell those idiots at MTV to stick with videos and not those dumb reality shows.

I'd buy stock in Apple. Then I would start my own biodiesel refinery.

I'd go out for football and soccer in High School, and try out for the school play.

Posted by: RightWinger1 | March 24, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I'd totally find early 90's me and tell myself to major in something useful. But I'd be all angsty and dressed up like the Cure and ignore myself and go on to major in Theatre anyway.

And popculturally, if I may, I'd love to have been to one of the shows in the 70's that the Police played to like 20 people in America.

Posted by: RiverCityVA | March 24, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If I could go back to the 80s, I would convince myself that the combination of a mullet, a perm and the banana clip was not a good look. I have my 7th grade class photo as proof.

Posted by: luvlydawter | March 25, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse