Posted at 8:18 AM ET, 04/26/2010

Bret Michaels conscious, but speech slurred; 'Avatar' breaks DVD sales record

By Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly
Monday

Celebrity Beat: Bret Michaels conscious, but speech slurred following brain hemorrhage... Lindsay Lohan fired from movie (coincidentally, Brittany Murphy was previously attached to the same project); Lohan takes on Perez Hilton in Twitter feud... Rep: Charlie Sheen and wife living apart, but not headed for divorce... In new interview, Michael Douglas says his mom's friends seduced him at sixteen... Justin Bieber's Australian show canceled over fan hysteria... "Mad Men's" Vincent Kartheiser eschews materialism, lives in a house with no toilet... Michael C. Hall fully recovered from cancer... Courtney Love kicks off U.S. tour with reconstituted Hole.

Rumor Mill: Lindsay Lohan banned from L.A. club for throwing glass at ex Samantha Ronson; Ronson calls Lohan an "angry human being"... Jennifer Lopez's ex supposedly bankrupted by court fight over the former couple's home videos.

Say What?
"I couldn't get her off of me. It was embarrassing." -- Robert Downey Jr. on filming a love scene with "Iron Man 2" co-star Gwyneth Paltrow.

Pop Culture Mix: "Avatar" DVD breaks sales record set by "The Dark Knight"... Ridley Scott planning 3-D "Alien" sequels... Mickey Rourke to play Genghis Khan?... Conan O'Brien joined onstage in L.A. by guest stars Jon Hamm, Jonah Hill and Jim Carrey... Ricky Gervais planning new show about actor with dwarfism... Is this supposedly SPOILER HEAVY "Lost" call sheet for real?... Rob Lowe on "Parks and Recreation" was an executive decision... Rafael Yglesias, Dave Eggers win L.A. Times book prizes.

Video: "SNL" host Gabourey Sidibe joins Andy Samberg for a digital short...

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Jen Chaney and Liz Kelly  | April 26, 2010; 8:18 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix  | Tags:  Bret Michaels, Charlie Sheen, Courtney Love, Lindsay Lohan, Robert Downey Jr
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology Weekend: LiLo all over the place
Next: Weekend box office: 'Dragon' wins. Really.

Comments

Michael Douglas says his mom's friends seduced him at sixteen.

Mrs. Robinson?

Bret Michaels conscious, but speech slurred following brain hemorrhage.

jaybbub, could you please send our Monday love his way from Lizard Island?

Michael C. Hall fully recovered from cancer.

Great news!

[Lindsay] Lohan takes on Perez Hilton in Twitter feud.

Whose side am I on? Paging Sister Boom-Boom (Nun of the above).

"A Little Too Ready for Her Close-Up? / Hollywood to Actors No Surgery, Please" re possible eventual decline of embiggening and other forms of excessive cosmetic surgery:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 26, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

The producers of that movie might want to find a non-drug addict starlet for that role.

Paris and Linsey in a twitter feud. Obviously not a battle of wits.

Vincent K should probably meet Courtney L.

Shout out to mdreader for getting mentioned in the print version of Celebritology.

Posted by: epjd | April 26, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Vincent, sweetie:

You are no longer playing Connor on Angel. If you are trying to get into the mood to act out your childhood in the Quor-toth Hell dimension, you're about 8 years too late.

(Okay, how Jen and Liz feel about LOST? I feel about Joss Whedon. I am not ashamed ;) )

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

ep, do you have the link to the print version that you could please post?

Paris and Linsey in a twitter feud.

Actually, it's Perez Hilton, the gossip blogger. No matter what you may think of him, at least he has some wits.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 26, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and don't miss P-Fiddy's article today, "Plastic surgeons provide a fine-looking model of success at gathering":

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Bret Michaels conscious, but speech slurred following brain hemorrhage...Thankfully his Poison band mates are used to hearing him talk like that by now.

I'm pretty sure Britney Murphy can still out-act LiLo at this point.

Courtney Love kicks off U.S. tour with reconstituted Hole. Nope, not even gonna touch that one....

It must've been so hard for Michael Douglas being 16 and having women just throwing themselves at him. The poor guy.

Mickey Rourke to play Genghis Khan?...Because it worked out so well for John Wayne.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | April 26, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Nosy_Parker:

I just tried to get that 7-day trial membership to e-Replica, so we could see the print reference ep was talking about.

Except a) I haven't received the follow-up mail ten minutes later and b) nosing around in my "free trial" account, I can't go anywhere except to the page that tells me I need to pick a subscription and enter my credit card info.

So I think we're just gonna have to forgo the print mention, unless someone wants to scan it...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 26, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Man, I hate giving TMZ traffic -- can't you at least warn us that we're going there? (Not that I COULD go there for the LiLo story because my PC crashed. Anyway....)

I hope Bret Michaels gets better soon, RDJr cracks me up, and in my view Jim Carrey and Ricky Gervais have watches set to 14:30 and counting.

Other than that, I got nothing -- though when I saw "Mickey Rourke to play Genghis Khan," I read "Shah Rukh Khan" and got this great mental picture of Crazy Mickey headlining a big Bollywood number. Happy Monday, all.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 26, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus:

My brother had a brain tumor several years ago and temporarily ended up this way.

It's just not funny. It's heartbreaking and horrifying. And I hope to God you never have to go through it yourself or watch someone you love go through it. Then you'd realize just how un-funny and uncool it is to make light of it.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 26, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

So RD jr had to beat off Gwynnie with a stick? Can't say that's a particularly impressive visual. Also not particularly believable.

Totally down with brain tumors not being funny.

Rourke might actually make a good Genghis Khan. Or Shaka Khan.

Posted by: reddragon1 | April 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Chasmosaur, I hope your brother has recovered fully and is living a healthy, happy life. I think Dorkus has a point: relying only on observed behavior, how do you sort out drug-induced brain damage from stroke-induced brain damage?

Glad to hear Michael C. Hall went all Dexter on his cancer.

Perez Hilton vs. LiLo is definitely a battle of Twits.

I had a time-warp moment this morning walking to work: outside a theater, four teenyboppers were camped out on the sidewalk so they could be first in line for tonight's Hanson show. (And today's NYC forecast is for rain.) Seriously, wasn't 1997 over a while ago?

Posted by: northgs | April 26, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Get well wishes to Brett Michaels. He has a long road ahead of him to recovery.

Liz, you may have to bring Twits back to cover this Twitter feud between Lilo and Hilton. Would be hilarious, I'm sure.

Seems to me that cancelling a concert after fans have camped out for 3 nights to see it would be more dangerous than letting it go on. Never underestimate the power of a 13yo's hissyfit.

Vincent says he plans to get a toilet but is now using the neighbors. How would you like to live next door when nature calls at 2am? What choice do they have but let him in or else he goes on their lawn?

Posted by: hodie2 | April 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, my mother suffered a stroke that left her speech slurred for the rest of her life (several more years). Going to weekly speech therapy and doing the prescribed speaking exercises helped mom a little, but it was just so frustrating for her and heartbreaking for us, because she used to be so articulate. Even with the best prognosis, I imagine Bret Michaels is gonna have a tough row to hoe.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Bret Michaels conscious, but speech slurred following brain hemorrhage." Two more hemorrhages and he'll be ready to fill in for Ozzy.

"Lohan takes on Perez Hilton in Twitter feud." Free tip to improve your vocabulary, LiLo: Seven letters plus a space leaves room for five "neener"s per Tweet.

JeLi - I'm back in Canada now. It would be great if we could see a lot more Celebritology bits about Canadian celebs - what kind of shenanigans are Dave Foley, Sarah Polley, Nancy Robertson, Luba Goy, Russell Peters and Atom Egoyan up to?

Posted by: byoolin1 | April 26, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Paris and Linsey in a twitter feud. Obviously not a battle of wits.
-----------------------
No, a battle of twits.
In more ways than one...

Posted by: cjbass55 | April 26, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Lizard love (with no snark attached) to Bret Michaels! I agree he's got a major challenge facing him in trying to recover from this.

Also Lizard love to Michael C. Hall. Glad to hear he's recovered (recovering?).

And can I just add how much I ADOOOOOORE Robert Downey Jr? Cannot wait for Iron Man 2.

Posted by: jaybbub | April 26, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

byoo,

"Canadian Celebs". Please review concept.

Posted by: reddragon1 | April 26, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Michael Douglas, TMI. And his mother's not in the dark anymore, since he just told the whole world about his peccadilloes.

Posted by: Californian11 | April 26, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what's skeezier, the idea that Michael Douglas feels the apparent late-midlife crisis need to reveal this information or the fact that -- if it's true -- at the time he was getting busy with a pair of 30-year-olds (born at the time Hoover was president), it was still nine years before his current (Nixon-era) wife was born.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I just have to point out that many regular posters here have no problem making fun of celebs with other kinds of serious problems - alcoholism, drug abuse, mental issues, etc. And, I bet many of the other posters and lurkers have family or friends who have suffered with these conditions and don't find it so funny.
So, it's kind of hypocritical to jump on dorkus for what is really a good point and a pretty gentle jab at an ailing glam rocker.

Posted by: VaLGaL | April 26, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1

-------------------------------------------

Byoo, thank you for omitting Sidney Crosby from the list. I don't need to see any more news about him.

You mean you are not satisfied when JeLi link to news about William Shatner, Shania Twain, Kiefer Sutherland, Avril Lavigne, Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, Pamela Anderson, and Tommy Chong?

Perhaps you should become Celebritology's Toronto correspondent. I see you've already discovered the Condom Shack on Queen West.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 26, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

VaLGaL, apples and oranges here.

Bret Michaels has juvenile (Type 1) diabetes, and recently underwent an emergency appendectomy when he developed appendicitis. Assuming, arguendo, that he didn't bring on his stroke himself (by, e.g., doing cocaine in the hospital), his current critical medical problems seem to be strictly physical, therefore many of us find them not fair game for snarking.

Not to minimize the ravages of addictions or mental illness, but with substance abuse it IS possible for people to get their act together by going to rehab, joining a 12-step program, etc., then trying to refrain from the addictive substance thereafter.

Mental illness is sometimes hard to distinguish from merely erratic behavior for which an individual needs to take personal responsibility, until it reaches crisis proportions. Remember Rona Barrett, who used to do a syndicated celeb gossip feature that aired in DC on Ch. 5 (WTTG) in the '70s? Years later in an interview Barrett said one of her regrets was frequently slamming Patty Duke on-air for a long pattern of self-destructive behavior (in hopes it would bring Duke to her sense). It turned out, however, that the former child star was severely bipolar, and straightened out her life once she received, and responded to, proper medical treatment.

Here on Lizard Island we've come to recognize that Britney Spears, to name but one such celeb, may well have a serious mental illness, and so the snarking on her wildest antics has gotten cut way back for a while now.

Shall we now adjourn to the Tiki Bar, in the spirit of friendship?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 26, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Note to fellow Lizards: The Post's censoring software blocked my original post, which employed the letter S and H followed by an exclamation point, then the letter T. The same message posted successfully simply by substituting the word "act."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, try $cheisse.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 26, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Danke, Sas.

BTW, did you know there's a Sasquatch Festival (music-fest) in Oregon?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 26, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Indeed I do, Nosy. I believe last year the featured band at the Sasquatch Festival was Death Car for Cutie.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 26, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

CAB, dammit! Death CAB for Cutie.

Not to be confused with Cash Cab.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 26, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse