Posted at 5:09 PM ET, 04/23/2010

Bret Michaels hospitalized with brain hemorrhage

By Liz Kelly

Michaels in 2008. (AP)

People.com is reporting that "Celebrity Apprentice" contestant, reality TV staple and former Poison frontman Bret Michaels was rushed to the ICU Thursday night after experiencing an "excruciating headache."

Doctors discovered Michaels had suffered a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding at the base of his brain stem) and he is currently in critical condition:

"After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," a source told People.com.

Michaels, a diabetic, underwent an emergency appendectomy on April 12, but told fans in an April 19 note that his recovery was going well. No word yet as to whether the hemorrhage is related to his previous surgery.

By Liz Kelly  | April 23, 2010; 5:09 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities  | Tags:  Bret Michaels
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday list: The most surprisingly funny SNL hosts
Next: Celebritology Weekend: LiLo all over the place

Comments

Maybe covering his head in bandanas all these years has something to do with it...

Posted by: dcdoug | April 23, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Now that's nice, dcdoug, have a heart willya? Bret is a very cool guy who has been there and back for sure, here's hoping you make a SPEEDY recovery, Bret.

I met him when Poison opened for KISS in 2004 and he was a very genuine and all-around cool dude, for a wealthy rocker, that is.

Get Well Fast Bret!!!!

Posted by: RazzMattazz | April 23, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

My family and I will be praying for you Bret. May God Bless.

Posted by: guardsix | April 23, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Bret Michaels, I have know Bret and all of the group Poison for over 20 years. Your comment about his bandana is pure stupidity.

He is as they say a real mench and I only wish him a very speedy recovery and getting back to himself. May god watch over him.

Posted by: isteinman | April 23, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sykesom | April 23, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Bret-we are so sorry for your struggles right now. Our belief is in the man upstairs and he is the ultimate healer. Don't give up and hang on there are people praying for you. Just know that prayer changes things, you are loved by many including us best wishes we are praying for you. D'lane and O

Posted by: sykesom | April 23, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

dcdoug

Crude??? MUCH.

My thoughts and prayers are with Bret and his family.

Posted by: itsagreatday1 | April 23, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't wish ill on Bret or his family - but those of you who seem to think he's so cool think again... I knew him before Poison was signed and he's always had a big ego. Not saying he's not nice - just stuck on himself and the media doesn't help any. The coolest one in the band was Bobby Dall.

The bandannas are to cover his hair loss I'm sure...

Posted by: JazzyM | April 23, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

JazzyM how long has it been? Let it go and get over it.

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | April 23, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Like the panda story and whether it's pregnant - WHO CARES? Another one bites the dust...

Posted by: rpcv84 | April 23, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

No the bandana covers the labodomy scars.

Posted by: blasmaic | April 23, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I doubt a brain bleed is related to an appendectomy. It's probably something structural, just one of those things. Or maybe all the head-banging finally caught up with him.

Posted by: northgs | April 23, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

One old Rocker to another, get through this brother for we are rapidly becoming an endagered species and I'm older than you. Pullin hard for ya, Katman & Company!

Posted by: anOPINIONATEDsob | April 23, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the posters who are saying Bret Michaels is a really nice guy.

And you have no idea how rare that is for people in LA who are rock stars.

I met him through a friend in LA had dinner with him and my friend, and I can tell people first hand that Bret Michaels is a really, really great down to earth individual without a racist or sexist bone in his body.

That overblown ego you see in so many aging rockers just isn't there. So best wishes Bret... get better bro!!!

Posted by: lee8798 | April 23, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Bret, I am praying that you will be blessed with a speedy and complete recovery. We also continue to keep your daughter and her health in our hearts. To the comments above by people such as "dcdoug", "rpcv84"and also "blasmic"...
Hopefully you will never find YOUR family facing diabetic disease or,as in my case a massive brain tumor during which time I also wore bandanas' Cruel and cold people who make comments like yours could never handle a burden such as Brets' in YOUR own pea brains!

Posted by: ldcshope | April 23, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

He was a good man. RIP Brett.

Posted by: jeffkuske | April 23, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Hang in there Bret. You have way too much rock n roll left in you man!

Posted by: erikmpyle | April 23, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Could it be the DRUGS. Think about it

Posted by: Wolfpack1 | April 24, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey dcdoug.

Hope your family gets cancer, dirtbag.

Posted by: arielsoft | April 24, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Meal plans can help you eat a balanced diabetes diet, keeping your blood sugar under control. use this free meal planner http://bit.ly/cMc1i8

Posted by: niagaragaea | April 24, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Bummer. I agree w/ all of the sentiment here but give dcdoug a break. If I were in similar shape, all of my buds would undoubtedly make comments similar to dcdoug's as a means of bringing a little levity to a tough situation.

The "labodomy" comment is worse. What's a labodomy, anyway? Is that anything like a lobotomy? It sounds like a procedure to remove your dog from the guest's leg.

Posted by: Senjata | April 24, 2010 2:56 AM | Report abuse

He aint dead yet JeffK.

BTW, he is still the frontman for Poison. Poison's on break, but Brett wasn't until this.

Posted by: EricS2 | April 24, 2010 3:55 AM | Report abuse

I never cared for Poison, and I'm not a fan of Bret's--nevertheless, from what I've seen of him, he seems to be an okay guy with a good heart. I hope he has a complete recovery.

Posted by: Bix2012 | April 24, 2010 4:37 AM | Report abuse

Call Sarah Palin, I hear she has a special request line to God.

Or, party like a rock star until you have an SAH ?

OR - my advice? Get to the Cleveland Clinic ASAP.

Tim Miltz

BTW- when I had a suspect SAH ? I once thought Sub Arachnoid Hemorrhage would make a great band name.

No kidding - I think I had posted that on Boston MA's Hasty Pastry website - it's the brain trauma forum, I see it's moved to http://braintalkcommunities.org/forums/ I'm sure you can find others who had an SAH there.

Posted by: RedMercury | April 24, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

so sorry to hear about michael's problem. my prayers are out to him. hang in there mike.

Posted by: grannyhas5 | April 24, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse