Posted at 10:28 AM ET, 04/13/2010

Fashion statement: Naya Rivera's dotty topper

By Liz Kelly

(Getty Images)

"Glee" returns to TV tonight to, as described by The Post's Hank Stuever, infuse the delicious hell that is high school with rousing song and dance numbers. We'll be setting our DVRs.

Monday night in Hollywood, the "Glee" cast turned out to celebrate the show's return at a splashy, camera-heavy event, where stars from Lea Michele to Matthew Morrison posed, partied and dazzled us with some very un-"Glee"-like Hollywood glam.

And then there was Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez on the show), who seized the opportunity to ruin a perfectly serviceable strapless mini-dress with the addition of a hat. Not just any hat, but an umbrella-shaped tangle of black netting covered in flocked red dots perched jauntily -- almost haphazardly -- on the side of her otherwise pretty head. A far cry from the understated bubblegum pink ensemble she sported at "Glee's" September 2009 premiere party.

Unless she's mourning the loss of a beloved can-can girl or sending some kind of subliminal message to Tim Burton ("Cast me! I can wear gothy stuff, too!"), I just don't get it. But maybe I'm just that out of touch?

So, you tell me...

By Liz Kelly  | April 13, 2010; 10:28 AM ET
Categories:  Fashion  | Tags:  Fashion Statement, Naya Rivera, fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Tesh admits he dated Oprah; Michelle McGee apologizes to Sandra Bullock
Next: The 'Lost' 5: Prepping for 'Everybody Loves Hugo'

Comments

I like the hat. It's fine. It just doesn't belong with that dress.

Posted by: ideallydc | April 13, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Such a pretty girl. Such an ugly topper. The fascinator trend has got to GO.

Posted by: epjd | April 13, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Nice try, but no go for the hat. At the same time, she's young and cute, which is when you can try things like this and get away w/ it.

Posted by: Guest1234 | April 13, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I don't know who Naya is, but she's a stunning woman. That said, Mary Tyler Moore called; she wants her 70s hairstyle back. And for some reason that hat reminds me of Gloria Swanson in that (also 70s) classic TV movie, "Killer Bees."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 13, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I still want to know at what point Liz became a fashion editor?

Posted by: gamecock1 | April 13, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Naya
take off your coat
real slow.
Take off your shoes
I'll take off your shoes.
Naya
take off your dress
You can leave your hat on -
You can leave your hat on -
You can leave your hat on.
Go on over there
turn on the light
all the lights.

Come over here
stand on that chair
yeah
that's right.
Raise your arms in the air
now shake 'em.
you give me reason to live - you give me reason to live -
you give me reason to live - you give me reason to live.

That snarky Liz is talkin'
She's tryin' to tear us apart !
She don't believe that it is love of mine -
She don't know what love is - She don't know what love is -
Liz don't know what love is - Liz don't know what love is -
I know what love is !

There ain't no way - you can leave your hat on -
You can leave your hat on - you can leave your hat on -
Give me the reason to live - you can leave your hat on!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

With a body like that, it really does not matter what she puts on top of her head.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | April 14, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse