Posted at 12:30 PM ET, 04/ 5/2010

Fashion statement: Nic Cage's blond ambition

By Liz Kelly

(Getty Images)

So, what's the deal with Nicolas Cage's new blond coif?

"I'm doing a movie called Drive Angry and I'm trying to tap into my Celtic roots, so I dyed it blond."

Or so claims Cage, who surfaced over the weekend at San Francisco's Wondercon 2010 with a mass of brittle straw-like bleach blond locks hanging lankly from his ample cranium.

Hmm. Perhaps the movie synopsis offers some clue as to why the role might require him to make like a low-rent Bret Michaels.

"Drive Angry" is, according to IMDB.com, the story of "a vengeful father [who] chases after the men who killed his daughter."

Meh. Boring. In the interest of working Cage's "Celtic roots" into the movie plot and spicing up things a bit, perhaps this would be a bit more marketable:

"The story of a vengeful father who chases after the beauty school dropout who totally fried his hair (oh, and the men who killed his daughter)."

But, is it all Nic's hair? Did he really grow a five-inch mop since sporting this closely-shorn look in September of 2009? Or did his stylist perhaps recycle Britney Spears's weave cast-offs to give Cage's new 'do some length? And, if so, should he perhaps take a lesson from Tom Hanks, who failed ginormously with his own role-driven hair extensions?

By Liz Kelly  | April 5, 2010; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend box office: A 'Titans' triumph
Next: Happy birthday, Bette Davis

Comments

I must be a mutant Lizard, 'cause I LIKE Nic Cage, always have. Can't explain it. He does get mopey/overthetop/handontheforehead silly dramatic but I like him anyway.
Tho I prefer brunette to blond, this pic is ok w/ me just cause I like him.
I loved Face/Off, that he and Travolta both played people playing each other. I'm weird I guess. Oh well.

Posted by: agog1 | April 5, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Agog, I actually like him as an actor myself. But this hair -- no way!

Posted by: Liz Kelly | April 5, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The hair color's fine with his eyes and skin tones. But the 'do? No way.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 5, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Count me among the like Nic Cage actor group.

Did we not JUST have a "vengeful father goes after man who killed his daughter" movie? Wasn't that the Mel Gibson-returns-to-acting flick that I instantly forgot about after first reading about it?

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 5, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

actauuly the complete description for "Drive Crazy" is:
". . a vengeful father [who] chases after the men who killed his daughter by disguising himself as Gérard Depardieu."

Posted by: molsonmich | April 5, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

actually, actually is not spelled actauuly

Posted by: molsonmich | April 5, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Nic, isn 't it a bit too soon for you to be remaking The Wrestler? However, I admit that it's a good start for your Mickey Rourke look.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 5, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse