Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 04/ 1/2010

Miley Cyrus demands our respect

By Liz Kelly

Miley Cyrus with co-star/boyfriend Liam Hemsworth in a scene from 'The Last Song.' (Touchstone Pictures)

There's nothing more annoying that being a 40-year-old serious actress trapped in a manufactured teen idol's body and facing nothing but pithy criticism from idiotic entertainment reporters and critics.

And so it is that Miley Cyrus, in a new interview with Reuters, has made it known that she demands respect.

Thanks to a new movie -- "The Last Song," which promises loads of schlock and yawn -- the Disney-groomed dynamo is in the midst of a press rampage. She has, in fact, been all up in our Celebritological faces for the past week or so, beginning with an uninspiring short-shorts-clad mentorship on last week's "American Idol."

In the afore-mentioned Reuters interview, Cyrus talked about her respect-deficient reputation, kissing boyfriend Liam Hemsworth on set and her one-woman strategy for sabotaging news stories about herself.

A few highlights:

-- When asked if she's taken seriously: "I feel that for what I have accomplished I could get a little more respect. People (at Disney) were not sure at first if they could trust me. They knew I could do 'Hannah Montana'. But to put me out there as a music artist, they were a bit skeptical. I had to fight to get a real stage, to be a real music artist."

-- On whether or not she reads news stories about herself: "No, I pretty much am off that. I don't want to give them the hits on the web site."

-- On kissing real life boyfriend Liam Hemsworth on set: "It wasn't embarrassing at all. We were dating by that point. After the two or three weeks that we started filming, we really started clicking."

-- On where she sees herself in 10 years: "Hopefully still doing films. I really am looking forward to that most."

Oh, me too.

By Liz Kelly  | April 1, 2010; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Miley Cyrus
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sandra Bullock surfaces; Jesse James poses as Hitler
Next: Celebritology's 2010 April Fools: Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt

Comments

I feel like you have fully covered the snark here. I've got nothing but a sad feeling.

Posted by: auntiemare | April 1, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Respect is earned, not demanded.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 1, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Respect is earned, not demanded.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker

********************************************

But she wants it NOW!!!!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | April 1, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

You're really poking the hornet's nest today, huh? First a link to a story about Sarah Palin, now a whole post about Miley Cyrus. BKD here we come!

I only wonder if we'll be able to tell the difference between the iluvyoumileylolol posters and the americanfreedompalin12 posters?

Posted by: MStreet1 | April 1, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

MStreet, the Miley lovers will have better gramar.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | April 1, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

So effing what?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 1, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

If only Miley would settle for a pony.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 1, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The Singer Formerly Known as Destiny Hope needs to take a good hard look at her Disney predecessors to get a full range of her future possibilities. Will she be the next Britney Spears, Hilary Duff or Christy Carlson-Romano? If Miley thinks she's a "real music artist," then she needs to aim just a tad higher.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 1, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh no! She's using the Jennifer Aniston method of acting: being.

I she learns that there's a difference between being in a role where the character is in a relationship, and actually being in a relationship with your co-star.

Posted by: MzFitz | April 1, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait until Miley covers "Respect," and plays a lead role in the remake of "Grey Gardens."

Just a little bit
Just a little bit

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 1, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Naughty, naughty, Liz and Jen posting two April Fools Day stories. Guess you couldn't break the tie as to which story was the better joke.

Posted by: epjd | April 1, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Don't have much to say about Miley but wonder if she would be perceived different if Billy Ray Cyrus was not her daddy?
She's annoying but most teenage girls are.

Posted by: hodie | April 1, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse