Posted at 1:30 PM ET, 04/22/2010

Paulina Porizkova takes on plastic surgery

By Liz Kelly

A post-surgery Montag on the cover of People. (Courtesy People Magazine)

Paulina Porizkova -- former supermodel, "Dancing with the Stars" alumna and rock star wife -- blogs. And, as it turns out, her brain droppings might just be worthy of our attention.

As we discussed in last week's Celebritology Live chat, we're nothing if not fascinated and/or perplexed by mainstream standards of beauty and the lengths to which some stars (mostly women) will go to attain what has become a generic aesthetic -- usually blond, busty, tanned and wrinkle-free. Everything from retouching to extreme plastic surgery have become as common as changing hair color and, we said, we're a little worried about the trickledown effect on the rest of us, not to mention young girls who may start to think it's the norm for a perfectly pretty California girl (Heidi Montag) to go under the knife transform herself into a ridiculously chesty robo-Barbie.

This week, Porizkova weighed in on plastic surgery and, specifically, Kate Hudson's supposed boob job. Sure, it may be easy for someone as genetically blessed as Porizkova to make critical comments, but read before you judge. The woman makes some sense. I mean, she had me when she described Montag as a "cheap plastic pool float," but read on for more of her refreshingly candid thoughts on our society's skewed take on beauty:

On Hudson's new rack:

"My issue here isn't with Kate. If big boobs make her happier, then more power to her. The issue here, this fixing something perfect to something else perfect, is so much a sign of our times, and one that truly saddens me."

And...

"I used to use her as an example of the perfect beauty with a small chest. Now, with her new boobs, she just looks like any California blond actress. Instead of enhancing, she has diminished herself."

On 51-year-old Madonna:

"Madonna no longer looks like Madonna: what started as a sexy, well shaped, and somewhat hairy Italian girl has ended as a cool Nordic blonde. It's not that she doesn't look great, she does. But she is starting to sort of melt away into the stew of the famous women over-fifty-high-cheek-boned blondes-who-cannot-frown."

On her own body issues:

"In my opinion, I'm one hot example of a saddlebag/cellulite woman over forty. If I went and lipo-ed my thighs to the size of Gisele's, I still wouldn't look anything like her, and instead, I'd start looking like everyone else."

On plastic surgery in general:

"No one ages anymore, no one has imperfections of any kind anymore, all smiles are flawless and no one past 35 can express displeasure."

What do you think? Is Porizkova on the mark or merely using her platform to slag Madonna, Kate and Heidi? Share your thoughts below...

By Liz Kelly  | April 22, 2010; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Celebrity Life Lessons  | Tags:  Heidi Montag, Kate Hudson, Madonna, Paulina Porizkova, plastic surgery
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is 'Avatar' really eco-friendly?
Next: Fashion statement: Jasmine Burke, gender bender or fashion offender?

Comments

Paulina is right on target, IMHO.

Posted by: Californian11 | April 22, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Paulina should MYOB.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 22, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Paulina is absolutely right. Why can't we accept aging, why can't we accept lines in our faces? Why is there one standard of beauty?

Posted by: Dee6 | April 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else catch Amy Madigan's recent turn on Law and Order? She may be the only person in Hollywood aging naturally. Her face was fascinating and she was really compelling.

Posted by: Roxie1 | April 22, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Amen Paulina! Brains and (natural) beauty are as sexy as it gets. Dumb + blonde = boring.

Posted by: kbockl | April 22, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think if one of your features bothers you, and you wish to correct it, and are able - then that's your business. The only choice in life is not at the polar extremes: either do nothing and bag and sag OR look totally plastique.

There is, in fact, a happy medium. The problem is that some folks apparently get addicted to the surgery and don't know how to say "when". Joan Rivers is an example. About 10 years ago, I thought she looked terrific - best ever in her life. But she didn't stop.

Same for Michael Jackson. Some of his first tweaks could be considered improvements - but when it got scary looking - it was "going too far".

Posted by: jqw3827 | April 22, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Ok, it's very easy to take cheap shots at Paulina because she is genetically gifted with beauty. I am not going there.

But I will address the issues brought up regarding plastic surgery. It's horrified me as well. When I left NoVa and moved to Arizona, I was stunned with the amount of "work" done on girls (yes, GIRLS) out here. They buy new boobs in Scottsdale like we buy new shoes in Tyson's Corner. My boyfriend's 28-year-old daughter lost her job in September. In November, still unemployed, she went out and bought new boobs. Her insecurity about her appearance outweighed her insecurity over whether she would make her mortgage payments (and no, she was not independently wealthy). And this girl was not some dumb bimbo--she was a National Merit scholar with a beautiful Pilates-sculpted body. But as Paulina pointed out--natural beauty isn't enough.

I'm the same age as Paulina, and though I didn't have supermodel looks to preserve, I am blessed in that I look 10 years younger...a genetic gift of good skin and a decent body type. Every once in a while I think about starting my facelift savings fund, but then I remember...the best part of being over 40 is not being judged immediately on my appearance.

Posted by: pepperjade | April 22, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Mostly, I can agree with Paulina. But, I would take exception to her attack on Kate Hudson. Assuming Kate did have an augmentation, it was the most understated boob job in history, certainly in the history of Hollywood. I loved Kate's looks just as they were but if she wanted 'a little more' I see absolutely no problem with that. She certainly is NOT chasing the same goal as Heidi (who says she wants them still even bigger). If Paulina cannot see the difference in the goals and outcomes of Heidi and Kate, she needs to rethink her philosophy.

Posted by: TusconSteve | April 22, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I just moved from DC to Las Vegas and there are so many boobers and nip and tuckers. Speaking from a male perspective ladies, it's ugly, it's gross, because it's fake. Don't do it. A lot of my guy friends think the same. It's ridiculous. It makes us think you don't believe in yourself, or you put too much emphasis on what's materialistic, and that you might have squandered or acted arrogantly during your youth and didn't look at it as a beautiful, fleeting gift to be respected and cherished, and that you never gained the strength to age gracefully. It's disgusting when either men or women do it.

Additionally, I think we don't have the cultural structures anymore to grapple with these issues together as a society. A poet once wrote that the greeks had stories such as the one about helen of troy looking in the mirror and seeing even her own peerless beauty disappearing. The society could share the idea. I don't know how our society can ever get something like that in the modern commercial age we live in.

Posted by: Playitagainsam | April 22, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Fake boobs are the best. Any woman who is lacking in boobage should get that fixed. Heidi Montag looks great and Kate should get her's upped to something normal. All guys adore fake boobs. The bigger, the better. Only gay guys and wussies say that they don't and that is just to impress uptight women.

Posted by: oldno7 | April 22, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

I have a theory that if we keep up this plastic surgery crap, eventually, everyone will look like Michael Jackson with false teeth and a blond wig. It's really pathetic.

Posted by: isthisajoke | April 22, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

"polar extremes: either do nothing and bag and sag OR look totally plastique."

So, having no plastic surgery is a polar extreme?

To me, this is scary.

Aging and imperfection are a part of the human condition. If one can't ultimately accept that, no amount of surgery (or Barbification) will help.

Posted by: JefComment | April 23, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse