Posted at 12:32 PM ET, 04/ 7/2010

Summer Movies 2010: A peek at 'Schmucks'

By Jen Chaney

Dreamy McCuterson, aka Paul Rudd. (Helayne Seidman/The Washington Post)

Do I love Paul Rudd because he was such a dreamboat in "Clueless"?

Sure, that's part of it.

Do I also love him because he is always irresistibly goofy, even in barely seen, mediocre fare like "I Could Never Be Your Woman"?

Given.

And do I further love him because he has no qualms about dancing around in a ridiculous planet Earth costume during an Elmo video, something that makes my 3-year-old giggle?

Sigh. Completely.

In other words, if I found out that the movie "Ruddfest 2011: Kicking It Rudd School" was opening next January, I'd go to Fandango right now and try to pre-order tickets.

Which is why I am optimistic about "Dinner for Schmucks," a comedy that opens in July and teams Rudd with Steve Carell. The trailer debuted yesterday and you can view it below. I'm hopeful that with Carell in full-on dingle-donk mode and Rudd Rudding it up to his heart's content, this will be a summer comedy that's worth the 85 bucks theaters currently charge for movie tickets.

By Jen Chaney  | April 7, 2010; 12:32 PM ET
Categories:  Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost' Dueling Analysis: 'Happily Ever After'
Next: A pop culture bracketology round-up

Comments

Rudd was also Phoebe Buffay's boyfriend/fiancé/husband toward the end of "Friends." Probably more people saw him on that story arc than in any of his film work.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 7, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

A movie about Senator Schumer? That should be a real treat.

Posted by: Major94 | April 7, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Love him and I am right there with you.

Posted by: kathycoulnj | April 7, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

He's so cute! Love him too- oh, and that Elmo clip- super!

Posted by: Guest1234 | April 7, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh, it's a re-make of the French movie, le Diner des Cons. Interesting translation. I'd've gone with "idiots". Maybe "morons". "Schmucks" would have been way down on my list.

Posted by: WDC2 | April 7, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Interesting title. "Schmuck" is a yiddish word that means "penis". It is normally used as a very derogatory term referring to someone who is a jerk with the potential to do harm to others. Lately, it has also been increasing used by gentiles who are ignorant of its true meaning. This only raises the humor level when you hear a waspy matron referring to someone as a "schmuck".

Posted by: diogenes4 | April 7, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Elmo video - whatever. What about dressed to the nines as Prince Charming for the Sesame Street's dress-up princesses? THAT episode is permanently housed on our TiVo. And the one with Ricky Gervais singing about "N" to Elmo.

Posted by: CentreOfNowhere1 | April 8, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm not holding out much hope for an Americanized version of Le Diner des Cons. Le Diner des Cons works because it's so tough on the main character that the audience loses its sympathy for him. I don't see Paul Rudd (or any American leading actor) as able or willing to play a character so unlikable - Paul Rudd especially gives off too much of a nice guy air.

Posted by: themegnapkin | April 8, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

The new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
====== http://0845.com/SlG =====

▍ ★∴
   ....▍▍....█▍ ☆ ★∵ ..../
   ◥█▅▅██▅▅██▅▅▅▅▅███◤
   .◥███████████████◤
 ~~~~◥█████████████◤~~~~

Posted by: itkonlyyourr | April 8, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I actually went to high school with Paul- he was a senior when I was a freshman - and despite being one of the cutest and most popular guys in school, he was really nice. Also very funny - he led the "vike studs", a male dance team that parodied our female drill team - in some hilarious routines. (think JT dancing to Beyonce on SNL.) It's been cool to watch his career take off over the years!

Posted by: cowgirl3138 | April 8, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse