Posted at 10:15 AM ET, 05/ 7/2010

Fashion statement: Jessica Simpson's gown -- hit or miss?

By Liz Kelly

Hot on the heels of her winning White House Correspondents' Dinner look, Jessica Simpson on Thursday turned up at an Operation Smile gala in New York wearing the floor-length one-shouldered gown pictured below. I'm not sure if it's the messily upswept hair, the raccoon eyes, the fake bake, the overwhelming graphic pattern or the stuffed sausage effect, but something about this -- to me -- just isn't working for our favorite makeup-free cover girl.

(AP)

Agree, disagree? Vote below...

By Liz Kelly  | May 7, 2010; 10:15 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion  | Tags:  Fashion Statement
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rachel Uchitel says David Boreanaz 'not a part of my life'; 'Iron Man 2' makes $7.5 million in Thursday debut
Next: Friday list: The best summer movie seasons ever

Comments

In the words of Tim Gunn, "that's a lotta look." One-shoulder dresses are a little Wilma Flintstone for me, plus this dress is too long. And is that a silver koozy on her wrist? Then again, I'm distracted by the classy duct-tape X that Jessica is clearly not standing on.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 7, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"Operation Smile gala"

Dripping with irony...

Posted by: jezebel3 | May 7, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Jez you beat me to it...

There is so much wrong with this ensemble, the strange yellow purse that doesn't match the yellow in the dress (is it meant to match the yellow of her unbrushed teeth perhaps?)...

Posted by: LTL1 | May 7, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The pattern on that dress reminds me of one of those pictures that they sell at any mall where if you stare at it for a very long time, you'll see an image in the picture. What are those called?

Anyway, hated it. My hair looks like that after my morning workout.

Posted by: hodie2 | May 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Uh, I thought Operation Smile was about correcting cleft palates in impoverished children.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 7, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

maybe the makeup should have been more neutral since the dress is so busy? she just looks uncomfortable - poor girl.

Posted by: njrunner1 | May 7, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, hated it. My hair looks like that after my morning workout.

Posted by: hodie2 | May 7, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

It's my "bedhead" look. Yikes!

Posted by: jezebel3 | May 7, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Way too much goin' on.

Thanks for identifying the look for me td, Wilma Flintstone. I've been trying to figure out who or what it reminds me of that's exactly it, Wilma Flintstone.

I'm not overly fond of this trend in the one-shoulder look. Usually it's accompanied by a giant flower or some other ghastly accoutrement that's usually bigger than the woman's head & that's just not an attractive look on ANYONE.

If the dress were shorter & she had some great shoes to with it, it might be a teeny bit better. It also may be one of those dresses that looks better in person than in photos.

Or not.

Posted by: wadejg | May 7, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Jeez . . . leave the poor kid alone.

First, why do you care? This photograph was taken at a benefit for children. Shouldn't we care more about the cause being highlighted at the event than what a particular celebrity is wearing?

Second, I saw another picture of Ms. Simpson taken from a different angle, and the dress looked better than this photo portrays it.

Third, no big, busy print ever photographs well. Her stylist should know better.

Posted by: pfallsgirl | May 7, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Jessica, I'll help you play dress-up anytime. Please brush your teeth before coming over.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 7, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse