Posted at 7:36 AM ET, 05/24/2010

Sarah Ferguson apologizes for selling access to ex-husband Prince Andrew; Brittany Murphy's husband found dead

By Paul Williams

Sorry, or Sorry She Got Caught?: Sarah Ferguson (aka Fergie) issues an apology for getting caught on video selling access to ex-husband Prince Andrew for 500,000 pounds. An undercover reporter for the tabloid News of the World named Mazher Mahmood, who goes by the completely awesome nickname "the fake sheik," posed as a businessman seeking to meet the Duke of York, who acts as Britain's special representative for international trade and investment.

Celebrity Beat: Simon Monjack, the husband of Brittany Murphy, found dead. The cause was not immediately known; he was 39 ... Bret Michaels wins "Celebrity Apprentice" ... Robin Gibb enraged by extra security at airport ... Lindsay Lohan scared about court appearance ... Salma Hayek says her children are more important than space travel.

Video: Kids reenact TMZ (courtesy of Best Week Ever)

Rumor Mill:
: Megan Fox quit "Transformers 3" because Michael Bay was "verbally abusive" ... Lada Gaga tested for lupus ... Elin Nordegren seeks $750 million, no confidentiality clause in divorce agreement ... Tila Tequila to go on "Celebrity Rehab"?

Pop Culture Mix:
Paula Abdul to be lead judge on new CBS dance show ... Fox picks up third season of "Glee" ... "Shrek" wins box office, but falls short of previous openers ... "Boonmee" wins at Cannes | Gallery... New "Twilight: Eclipse" trailers are out.

--Guest Celebritologist Paul Williams

By Paul Williams  | May 24, 2010; 7:36 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost': Instant reaction to the series finale, 'The End'
Next: 'Lost' Dueling Analysis: 'The End'

Comments

Best reaction to the Sarah Ferguson story: a headline in the Daily Mash (think The Onion for Brits): "Sarah Ferguson Claims Prince Andrew Does Something"

"Bret Michaels wins 'Celebrity Apprentice'" - after the win, Bret didn't know what to say, although that was probably just post-stroke aphasia.

When a MILF like Salma Hayek doesn't think much of space travel, it makes me reconsider my support of it too.

In Michael Bay's defense, he only was "verbally abusive" because Ms. Fox didn't buff his whitewalls like he'd asked.

By the time Elin Nordegren is done with Tiger, he won't be able to pay for a caddy. He'll probably have to ask one of his skanques for help polishing his balls.

"Tila Tequila to go on "Celebrity Rehab"?' I guess last week's story about the show being unable to find any celebrities was true.

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 24, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Monjack feature film credits include the budget of at least two days, nine lives, which he directed, starring Luke Goss Bros singer and Factory Girl, starring Sienna Miller. Brittany Murphy Husband Dead http://usspost.com/brittany-murphy-husband-10391/

Posted by: susan166 | May 24, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Three seasons of Glee? Journey better get back in the studio to churn out some more hits.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 24, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to EP and Nosy!

I say strip Fergie of her Dutchessness. Nothing else, though.

That's what court appearances are for, Lilo.

Get over it, Robin. Hire your own plane.

Hope it sounded better in Spanish, Salma.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 24, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Why thank you, reddragon!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 24, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Redragon.

I want to know how Selma came up with those two choices. I mean, it's not like someone said "Pick one, space travel or your kids" in casual conversation.

I totally believe Sarah is just sorry she got caught. And she won't be getting the money. I like the woman, I really do. But, she does not always think things through.

Are we taking bets on the cause of death of Brittany Murphy's husband? A hit, an overdose or "pneumonia."

Posted by: epjd | May 24, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Ferguson apologizes for selling access to ex-husband Prince Andrew.

Helping to prove that the concept of monarchy is long past obsolete and should be abolished. Hey, didn't we win a couple wars rejecting British royalty's oppression? (um sorry, byoolin)

Robin Gibb enraged by extra security at airport.

Oooh, you're just so special...

Elin Nordegren seeks $750 million, no confidentiality clause in divorce agreement.

To the Lizard Island law firm: Whenever I read about confidentiality clauses in any sort of legal settlement, it makes my blood boil. People (including corporations, which are apparently now officially people too) shouldn't be allowed to buy other people's 1st Amendment rights. I can't think of any situation offhand that's been improved by a confidentiality clause, except for people who have a lot to hide and want to get by with their bad behavior.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 24, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

RE: Sarah Ferguson and the News of the World Abscam - I can't believe members of the royal family are still falling for that one. Memo to the Duke of York: marry a smarter beard, stat.

I'm not sure quite what it says about "Celebrity Apprentice" that the guy with the brain injury won.

"Celebrity Rehab" might be able to help Tila with her Twitter addiction, but somehow I doubt they'll be able to crack the underlying delusional narcissism.

What's a Robin Gibb?

Posted by: northgs | May 24, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

In other celebrity news, "Alan Jackson pays tribute to victims of coal mining disaster at W.Va. concert":

Sarah Ferguson's statement, in relevant portion, "I very deeply regret the situation and the embarrassment caused," should have read, "I very deeply regret the situation and the embarrassment I HAVE caused." Apologies of the "mistakes were made" genre do not constitute complete apologies, just backside covering, or as Producer Paul put it so eloquently, "Sorry, or Sorry She Got Caught?"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 24, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

****
exactly, nosy, altho' i have to say i recently settled a case against a product manufacturer that required such an agreement. since i represented a young woman whose mother was killed, my young client had just had a baby and who had no other real support system, i agreed. held my nose while doing it, but it enabled my client to buy a home for cash, have an annuity for herself and her child and give her some real protection and comfort. in exchange for her silence. but believe me, before that document was signed, everyone and their brother here knew the name of the defendant.
A. i don't like sarah ferguson any more. she's a foolish spendthrift. she was taking money from the trust funds of her daughters, per the british papers. i'm sure my not liking her ruins ms. ferguson's day.
B. looks like all of the day's comments are on the show Lost. i hate to say it, but i never watched it even once. don't know what that makes me, but i suspect it's not good.

Posted by: frieda406 | May 24, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

frieda, you're not the only one who didn't follow "Lost." I tried watching the first epi, never returned. Mr. P. watched for a few years, but lost (as it were) interest. Lizard ep has also expressed her antipathy toward the series. To each his or her own, I guess :-)

Big hug to Frankie the hospice dog. Hope she's keeping cool!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 24, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Confidentiality clauses do help in one big way. They get the settlement done. If a company had to be admit liability in the settlement, they wouldn't settle. They would take it to trial. Which is a long and exhaustive ordeal for the plaintiff. The company may still prevail at trial. Which is WORSE than a settlement with a confidentiality clause. It shows the company they can get away with it and not worry about losing in court.

Plus, the settlement guarantees the victim gets the money, NOW. A trial can be years away. Even if the victim wins, the company just appeals. Which takes more years. In the meantime, the victim is spending money with no guarantee of ever getting anything. With a settlement, the check is handed over when the papers are signed.

Posted by: epjd | May 24, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Frieda, I was with you until "per the British papers." With the possible exception of The Times, Brit print media has never met a scandal they didn't like. The French and German press is worse tho. See Der Stern. Or on second thought, don't.

Both the Pink Dragon and my daughter's future m-i-l have been fascinated by Lost, but even tho I am up for good sci-fi, I never caught the bug. My daughter says the plot revolves around "Sawyer takes off his shirt" so maybe that's why.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 24, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I've got nothing against Lost- I just never got into it.

So, pretty quiet around here today. Who wants to sneak out back for drinks?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | May 24, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Good idea, Bawlmer. Let's all gather 'round the Tiki bar and discuss how/why Simon Monjack died. For some reason I am finding his death to be really strange, but even stranger is that the coroner is claiming it is natural causes. I immediately thought suicide.

Posted by: Californian11 | May 24, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"Starr kicks of new season of PBS' 'Artists Den'"

I'm so depressed: just found out that Ringo turns 70 on July 7. Barkeep, could you please pour me a double at the Tiki Bar? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 24, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I too am a little side-eyed at Monjack's death. I mean, of course it could be natural causes, but given his situation and (alleged) habits? Hmmm.

The best explanation I've heard for the "Lost" finale so far: "Turns out Bobby Ewing was showering in the hatch."

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | May 24, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Californian,

I'm really having a hard time working today, so I won't be able to join you. I did want to toss this out for the Murphy/Monjack death conspiracy discussion: According to TMZ, Brittny Murph's mom found both bodies.

I'm beginning to think she bumped off Monjack, and perhaps had a hand in Brittny's death.....

Posted by: anonymouslurker | May 24, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

anonymouslurker, Either Mom Murphy is up to something sinister, or else she's suffered a double tragedy. The latter, sad as it would be, is the lesser of two evils, so I hope that's the case.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 24, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"Paula Abdul to be lead judge on new CBS dance show" -- Clearly Paula Abdul was chosen because Debbie Allen and Kenny Ortega were unavailable (and as we know, there are only three choreographers in Hollywood).

"Robin Gibb enraged by extra security at airport" -- Hey Robin Gibb, nobody believes what you say, it’s just your jive talkin’ that gets in the way.

"Lindsay Lohan scared about court appearance" -- Why? Is the court planning to issue an opinion "I Know Who Killed Me"? Or did someone make the judge sit through an entire showing of "Georgia Rule" and he/she needs a forum to complain about the poor script and worse direction?

"Fox picks up third season of 'Glee'" -- By the third season of "Glee" all the cleverness will have worn thin and the cast will be eager to move on. While I like the show, they're already jumping the shark with "theme" episodes (Madonna! Lady Gaga!), so the novelty will wear off soon.

"Sarah Ferguson (aka Fergie) issues an apology" -- Apologize all you want, but remember, big girls don't cry. Oh wait, wrong Fergie. My bad.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 24, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Elin Nordegren opens the ante at $750 million? If I'm Tiger Woods' attorney, I point to the pre-nup and say, "This is our first, best and final offer. if you don't like it, see you in court. Hope you like losing."

As if she couldn't live on a paltry $200 million.....which might well break the record for what someone has paid for having sex on the side.

It's not only Tiger Woods' image that's getting dirtied. No one wins in a divorce case. I get the impression that Tiger has realized this. Elin may come by that knowledge the hard way.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 24, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Sas, on the one hand I agree with you, but there are a couple of caveats:

1-Elin's attorneys are the ones opening the game at 750 million--I doubt very much it was her idea

2- the prenup was modified and we don't know exactly how

3- we all know this isn't a matter of getting what she and the kids can "live on"--this is straight up revenge/avenge/plain vengeful, for the public humiliation, and I can't say I blame her.

Having said that, I think they negotiate down to 400 million or something and she splits for good. Based on her history she's not interested in writing or talking about her life with Tiger--that clause is totally to make him settle and get this over with.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 24, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else catch JeLi on NPR's "All Things Considered" this afternoon? Who was who? I don't think the announcers said. (The story was about blogs re "Lost").

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 24, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Cat, $400M is exactly the figure I quoted to Ms Snatchquatch this evening. Tiger's attorney tells Elin's attorney: Assuming that $400M exceeds the amount of the pre-nup, we agree, with the stipulation of a lifetime gag order. So, your choice: $400M and a gag order, or the pre-nup amount and you can talk. your choice. Otherwise, go pound sand. Warm regards.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 24, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Cat, perhaps you can't blame Elin, but I have no problem in tarring her with the same brush as Tiger.

You did take English at Georgetown, did you not? Did you study Shakespeare? I did when I matriculated there back in the early 70s. Even if you didn't, do you know the Shakepeare tragedy "Troilus and Cressida"? If you do, look up a character named --as I recall from my freshman literature class -- Thurcides (I can't confirm the spelling, but it's close).

It's been 38 years, lots of water under the cognitive and emotional bridge -- including a divorce -- and I still recall Thurcides' characterization of the Trojan War:

"It's all a ***re and a cuckold."

And, roles reversed, that's exactly what it is here. Which leads to my question:

What price a cuckold's revenge?

No thanks to washingtonpost.com for censoring the original Shakespeare quote.

Liz, you should be ashamed for you web site.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 24, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse