Posted at 8:18 AM ET, 05/10/2010

Lena Horne dead at 92; Betty White boosts 'SNL' ratings

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney
Monday

Celebrity Beat: Singer, actress Lena Horne dead at 92... Lynn Redgrave laid to rest in Connecticut... Bret Michaels debuts new song... Colin Hanks marries publicist girlfriend... Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott AND Heidi Klum and Seal renew wedding vows... Sean Penn describes his Haiti aid work frustrations on CNN... Kristin Chenoweth slams Newsweek essay critical of gay actors playing straight parts... Dina Lohan named "craziest Hollywood mom" in online poll... Iggy Pop tops list of ugliest celebrities... Bobby Brown proposes to girlfriend on stage... Danny Glover booed at Utah State University for failing to salute American flag... "Real Housewife of New York" Bethenny Frankel gives birth to baby girl (though frenemy Jill Zarin congratulates her on baby boy)... Amanda Peet shares pix of new daughter on David Letterman's "Late Show."

Video: Surprise! Andy Rooney is out of touch...

Crime Watch: Warrant singer Jani Lane arrested for DUI.

Rumor Mill: Lance Bass dating "Queer Eye's" Kyan Douglas?... In off-air chat with Oprah employees, reps supposedly confirm Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are dating... Billy Zane owes $100K in back taxes.

Pop Culture Mix: "Iron Man 2" tops weekend box office... Betty White boosts "SNL's" to highest ratings in a year in a half... Will Smith signs on for "Men in Black III" (and maybe "Bad Boys 3")... Jimmy Kimmel to air three alternate "Lost" endings following finale... "Twilight" characters top baby name list.

Video: It's the Bronte sisters action figures! [via YesButNoButYes]...

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney  | May 10, 2010; 8:18 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebritology Weekend: Lindsay Lohan to play Linda Lovelace after all
Next: Weekend box office: 'Iron Man 2' blasts competition

Comments

"Bret Michaels debuts new song." Tell me it's a cover of the old Ritchie Valens hit, "Ooh, My Head."

Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott AND Heidi Klum and Seal renew wedding vows. Throw in the phrase "wacky paperwork mixup" and we've got a tv series.

Dina Lohan named "craziest Hollywood mom" in online poll... and everyone who voted in that poll tied for "most desperately needs to get a life."

Iggy Pop tops list of ugliest celebrities. And yet Mr. Osterberg probably got more action in a single week on tour than the team that compiled the list has had *in their lives.*

"Danny Glover booed at Utah State University for failing to salute American flag." I can get behind anything that keeps the halfwits out of Chicago, Pittsburgh and San Jose and booing the Canadian anthem at the hockey games.

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 10, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Banning gay actors from playing straight parts would turn off the lights on Broadway and decimate the prime time schedule. Why does Newsweek hate everything I love.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 10, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Snark aside, I saw 'Promises, Promises' with Sean Hayes last week and he was wonderful playing the nebbish love-lorn straight lead. I KNOW he's gay. You're dog knows he's gay. But on stage he is engaging in witty banter, hilarious slapstick, and breaking out into song every five minutes or so and he still comes off as truly in love with elfin screecher (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) Kristin Chenoweth. That is a tough role for a straight guy, but Hayes pulls it off marvelously.

Also, after the show Sean Hayes came out and signed autographs willingly and delightfully. He is great human being and a fantastic actor undeserving of this self-loathing diatribe on the part of Newsweek.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 10, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

RIP, Lena Horne. I'll always remember her for her scintillating "60 Minutes" interview.

Bravo, Kristin!!! Anyone else wonder if that Newsweek commentator (in all fairness, yellojkt, I doubt he speaks on behalf of magazine editorial policy) doth protest too much?

Channeling Betty White: "Fifty, shmifty!" What say we start agitating now for Betty's second appearance on SNL next season, OK?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 10, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"Iggy Pop tops list of ugliest celebrities" -- And boy is Keith Richards mad!

"Dina Lohan named 'craziest Hollywood mom' in online poll" -- And boy is Denise Richards mad!

"Heidi Klum and Seal renew wedding vows" -- Speaking of crazy. (Or should I say "craaaa-zyallthepeoplerunningthroughmyhead.")

"Sean Penn describes his Haiti aid work frustrations on CNN" -- His work frustrations on MSNBC however, are not worth talking about.

"Bobby Brown proposes to girlfriend on stage" -- Eh. His prerogative.

"Bethenny Frankel gives birth to baby girl" -- I thought she was the one who just got married. Time flies.

"'Iron Man 2' tops weekend box office" -- And it was GREAT! Go see it now.

"Lance Bass dating 'Queer Eye's' Kyan Douglas?" -- I thought Kyan was with Mr. 360? Guess I'm not N'Sync with the latest on Mr. Douglas. (Haha, "Mr. Douglas." I make myself laugh. Now I have visions of Eddie Albert, though I don't think he's involved here at all. I digress...)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 10, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

thx, td. Now I don't have to post. And there's not even anything in here about Penelope Cruz.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 10, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Aw c'mon reddragon1. Join the party! :)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 10, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Ramin Setoodeh doesn't speak for Newsweek any more than George Will does, but if we Liz-ards pool our lunch money I'm sure we can buy the magazine and become both of their bosses.

Posted by: yellojkt | May 10, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Tee-hee, yellojkt.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 10, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Could someone please post a link to the Betty White/Tina Fey Census-taker sketch on SNL? Thanks.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 10, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Let's put Keith Richards, Iggy Pop, Tom petty, Donatella Versace and Melanie Griffith on the tracks, and determine if they really can make a train take a dirt road.

Perhaps someone should come out with the Dead But Don't Know It List. I nominate Andy Rooney.

In the words of Betty White, people should leave Sean Hayes alone and let him Lez out.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 10, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Hoping Brett Michaels song is not another headbanger.

Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott AND Heidi Klum and Seal renew wedding vows.
So will double divorces be the next trend? Is there a discount?

Andy Rooney get thee some Geritol. Lawrence Welk went off the air years ago.

Bronte Sisters action figures. LOL! forwarding to my librarian sister-in-law.

Posted by: hodie2 | May 10, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd see "Bronte" and "action" in the same sentence.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 10, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Here is the Betty White/Tina Fey census taker routine from the other night (http://www.mediaite.com/tv/snl-betty-white-meets-the-census-taker-and-hat-tips-christopher-walken/) and the original from ten years ago (http://www.mytwocensus.com/tag/tim-meadows/).

Posted by: kabuki3 | May 10, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, kabuki!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 10, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey hodie - I got my sister a librarian action figure (http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/Deluxe-Librarian-Action-Figure.html). Apparently, this deluxe version is even better (even though"Nancy Pearl's likeness made history as the best selling Librarian Action Figure of all time"). It even has push button "shushing action." Enjoy!

Posted by: MrsKerin | May 10, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

RIP Lena Horne. Always classy, always a lady.

Betty White, don't ever change.

Man, I hope Heidi Klum and Seal and Dean and Tori don't forget to whom they are vowing. Things could get messy.

Yeah, that Dina Lohan award kinda goes with the No [censored] Sherlock Award.

Posted by: epjd | May 10, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks MrsKerin! I'll check it out!

Posted by: hodie2 | May 10, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The Redgrave family has had way more than their share of heartache. :-( I hope no more funerals for them for awhile.

OK, I admit it, Tom Petty is my #1 "sexy ugly" guy. I find him inexplicably irresistible. Maybe it's the long coat, top hat and whiskey & cigarettes voice.

ROFLMAO re. Janice "Totally Plastic" Dickinson in the ugliest celebs poll!!! (considering she thinks she is 'perfect')

They forgot Alice Cooper, though.

Didn't Heidi & Seal renew last year too? Yikes. Things aren't looking so good.

What the heck kind of name is Kyan???

Posted by: Californian11 | May 10, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixed connect . c O m--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | May 11, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse