Posted at 12:13 PM ET, 05/ 3/2010

Lynn Redgrave dies at 67

By Jen Chaney

In 1999, Redgrave won the best supporting actress Golden Globe for her role in 'Gods & Monsters.' (AP)
Gallery: Lynn Redgrave through the years

Some very sad news from the entertainment world: Lynn Redgrave has died.

The Associated Press reports that the actress died last night at her Manhattan apartment at the age of 67. The exact cause is unclear; the "Georgy Girl" star was treated for breast cancer back in 2003. (Update: the AP story now confirms that her death was indeed caused by breast cancer.)

Redgrave received two Oscar nominations during her decades-long acting career -- one for her role in the aforementioned "Georgy Girl" (1966) and another more than 30 years later for her supporting turn as a grumpy, frumpy housekeeper in 1999's "Gods and Monsters." She also earned four Tony Award nominations for her stage work.

This is especially sad news since it marks the second recent major loss for the Redgrave clan; Redgrave's niece, Natasha Richardson, died a little over a year ago after head injuries sustained in a skiing accident. (Thanks to reader WesternShore for pointing out this is actually the third recent death for the Redgrave family: Redgrave's brother Corin passed away in April.)

Take a moment to look at brief clips of Redgrave's work, including the trailer for "Gods and Monsters" and, on a lighter note, her guest appearance on "The Muppet Show," in which she gamely plays Maid Marian to Kermit's Robin Hood.

By Jen Chaney  | May 3, 2010; 12:13 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weekend box office: Freddy kills
Next: Talking 'Lost' with Daniel Dae Kim

Comments

Also, her (and Vanessa's) brother Corin died last month, so it's the third major recent loss for the family.

Posted by: WesternShore | May 3, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

RIP Lynn Redgrave.

My deepest condolences to the Redgrave family. No family should go through what they have recently.

Posted by: epjd | May 3, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey there, Georgy Girl...your effervesance was always as great as your talent, and they were a marvelous combination. You will be missed.

Posted by: HuckleberryFriend | May 3, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

We lost another jewel of the English theater crown.
To the whole Redgrave family goes our deepest sentiments; we have you in our hearts. Dave/Myriam T.

Posted by: myrdav | May 3, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

We lost another jewel of the English theater crown.

Posted by: myrdav | May 3, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, HuckleberryFriend, now you've got me blinking back another tear, just thinking about that song. My condolences to the entire Redgrave clan, especially Lynn's children.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 3, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nosy_Parker...I remember singing and dancing to that song back in the 1960s...it was so happy and sweet. Years later, upon viewing the movie, the story and emotions were far more complex, but also riveting. I had to take a break and go have a listen to the Seekers singing it and it took me back.
I plan to try to watch some snippets of the movie again later.

Posted by: HuckleberryFriend | May 3, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

HuckleberryFriend, Right after Audrey Hepburn died, a friend and I watched "Breakfast at Tiffany's" one evening (and especially savored "Moon River"). Amazing, the power of a song...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 3, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh, this is just so sad! My deepest condolences go out to her family, her friends, and all the rest of us who so loved everything she gave us through all the years she gave it to us.
There was something about her that was "outside" the Redgrave Family of theatre. I always thought it was something "American" in the sense of being able to be anyone anywhere anytime without being actually recognized for it.
I am so grateful for her life and what she gave to all of us.

Posted by: cms1 | May 3, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, there! Goodnight, GeorgieGirl

Posted by: talitha1 | May 3, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

God Bless. She was great in "Gods and Monsters."

Posted by: RealTexan1 | May 3, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

condolences to the redgrave family. she valiantly struggled w/this cancer for years.

Posted by: frieda406 | May 3, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

She wrote, "As I began Nightingale, I had a feeling that I was on to something similar. Holding hands with the living and the dead. Knowing where we came from. Remembering. A universal need. And the fact that Beatrice, known as "Beanie," was not very lovable made it all the more important that I somehow write a story, based on very little evidence, that would make her real to me. No one dies who is remembered."

I have the same situation. One grave documented, but no stone. The other stone moved and the paper was in the old vault. Evidence. I am not very lovable. Keep holding old hands, hold on tight and never let go. Absent not dead.

Posted by: tossnokia | May 3, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

A terrible loss. She was a brilliant actress, unencumbered by narcissism. She will be missed.

Posted by: FarnazMansouri | May 3, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Hi, allow me invite you to my community:
--== COUGARFLIRTS.CoM ==-- (where mature women and men who like cougar find love).
Best Cougar dating site in the world!
It's where cougars and younger men can meet(Cougar is the slang for woman who is mature, experienced and want to date with a younger man). No matter you are looking for a NSA or serious relationship, please do check it out!
And also you may find yourself more compatible with young men.
For young men, dating an older woman has numerous advantages. You can sometimes learn valuable advice from her on how to conduct himself in a difficult situation. She is your best listener and supporter.
Join us and contact tens of thousands of cougars and cougar admirers!
It's where mature women and men who like them can get fvcked.

Posted by: hejiheji0011 | May 4, 2010 3:50 AM | Report abuse

My favorite Lynn Redgrave line: "It goes down bubblest, but t'is fine."

From Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex..."

Posted by: FergusonFoont | May 4, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse