Celebritology Weekend: Sandra Bullock goes public; Sheryl Crow welcomes new son
The three celeb-centric stories on our radar (and yours) this weekend...
1. The MTV Movie Awards -- which recognize cinematic achievement in highbrow categories like Best Kiss and Best Fight -- are hardly the Academy Awards. Oh, who are we kidding? It's not even the People's Choice Awards. But the promotion-filled celebration of youth-centric moviedom may be worth watching this Sunday night because of one person: Sandra Bullock. The Arlington, Va., native and recent Oscar winner has confirmed that she will attend the L.A. ceremony to accept the MTV Generation Award, the trophy show's equivalent of a lifetime achievement honor, which will make the event her first high-profile public appearance since the rupture of her marriage to Jesse James. What will she say in her acceptance speech? We're guessing she won't be lavishing praise on the guy she gushed about at the Golden Globes for always having her back.
2. Sure, it may have sold out weeks ago, but keep your eyes open for Team Coco sightings next week when Conan O'Brien's "Legally Prohibited from Being Funny on Television" tour touches down at Constitution Hall. No word on potential special guests (recent surprise appearances at other shows include Stephen Colbert and Pee-wee Herman), but be on the lookout for tour habitues Andy Richter and "In the Year 2000" go-to guy La Bamba (aka trombonist Richie Rosenberg).
3. Sheryl Crow is a mom again. On Friday, the singer/songwriter announced the adoption of a second son on her official website. Alas, no pictures of bouncing baby boy and happy mom yet, but we're sure the People magazine spread will come soon enough. Crow let fans in on the news with a succinct "Wyatt has a new little brother!" and word that the baby, Levi James, was born April 30. Big bro Wyatt, adopted in 2007, is now three.
Buzziest celebs of the week (Based on our weekly poll of Celebritology readers, these are the three top celebs in the news for the week of May 30 - June 5):
1. Rue McClanahan: The 76-year-old "Golden Girl" died Thursday morning after suffering a brain hemorrhage.
2. Gary Coleman: Ex-wife Shannon Price says she pulled the plug on the "Diff'rent Strokes" actor's life support because "he wouldn't have made it anyway."
3. Miley Cyrus: The teen sensation kicked her bid for an adult career into high gear this week by wearing super-skimpy outfits on stage as she tours through Europe. Oh, and that simulated girl-on-girl kiss during her Thursday "Britain's Got Talent" performance? Also a talker.
Pop Culture Pick
It's safe to say that "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" -- the "Twilight" spin-off novella from Stephenie Meyer that releases in stores today -- won't make the National Book Award short list. But given its tangential relationship to the swoon-inducing blood-sucking romance between Bella Swan and Edward Cullen, it's guaranteed to generate some buzz.
You Said It: A selection of notable reader comments...
Headline: Bust of Robert Pattinson's head sells on eBay for $1,399
Comment: "This headline would be a lot better if it didn't include the first two words." -- DorkusMaximus1
Headline: Tabloid claims British Fergie slept with "oil tycoons" for cash.
Comment: "Another thing that BP CEO Tony Hayward isn't proud of these days." -- byoolin1
Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney
| June 5, 2010; 9:29 AM ET
Categories: Celebritology Weekend
Save & Share: Previous: Jason Bateman locks lips with Dustin Hoffman
Next: Sandra Bullock, Scarlett Johansson lock lips at MTV Movie Awards
Posted by: epjd | June 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.