Posted at 11:12 AM ET, 06/ 9/2010

Fashion Statement: Willow Smith, girl gone wild

By Liz Kelly

(AP)

I'll surely get taken to task for daring to snark -- no matter how gently -- on a nine-year-old's get-up. But think of me not as a kid basher, but as more of an interventionist whose only aim is to save a misled elementary-aged girl from years of critiques from the Fug girls.

First of all, brava to miss Willow Smith -- budding actress and daughter of Hollywood power couple Will and Jada Pinkett-Smith. Even at nine, she's clearly working hard to establish her own persona. And that takes a lot of guts. And experimenting with one's look is better done at age nine, certainly, than at, say, age 32.

But there's a fine line between individuality and caricature. And, sadly, the leopard-print get-up Smith wore to Monday's "Karate Kid" premiere (brother Jaden stars) is more cartoonish than couture. From the Zubaz-style pants to the dominatrix-ish boots to the poof of hair perched atop her head, there is just nothing here to like. Believe me, I tried.

Agree? Disagree?

By Liz Kelly  | June 9, 2010; 11:12 AM ET
Categories:  Fashion, Insta-Polls  | Tags:  Fashion, Fashion Statement
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan posts bail on new arrest warrant; Heidi Montag files for legal separation
Next: Songs that should be covered in 'Glee' season two

Comments

Nine? That kid is *NINE*? Yikes. I thought it was Rihanna in the photo.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 9, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I'll forgive the 'do, the boots & the way-too-much-leopard-print but the pants, my gawd the pants!! Did she raid MC Hammer's garage sale?

I know she's a 9 year old kid, but even Dakota Fanning at that age wouldn't be seen in pants like that.

It's never too early for a fashion intervention Liz.

Obviously the Smith's said she could pick her own outfit & probably thought it was cute, but somewhere Suri Cruise is vomiting over this fashion choice.

Posted by: wadejg | June 9, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

This reminds me of nothing so much as Oberfuhrer Doogie Houser (NPH) in "Starship Troopers." I could see if she was just playin dressup and got papparazzed, but this was deliberate. Pls stop.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 9, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The Miser Brothers do is never a good look.

Posted by: epjd | June 9, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The outfit is not my cup of tea, but I say let her express herself. At least she's not trying to dress skanky, which is what most girls at that tween/teen age try to do these days to get attention.

Posted by: luvlydawter | June 9, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Grace Jones Junior.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | June 9, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I second the "Mini Grace Jones".

Posted by: trishs43 | June 9, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I kind of like this. (It's not perfect, and the hair is a long way from wonderful, but it could be so much worse.) It shows a lot of originality, and personality. She's a younger child in a flamboyant family, so in some ways she's probably just doing what's natural to her. And clearly she's not a girly-girl, which is just as well since I'm not sure her mother would know what to do with a girly-girl.

Posted by: northgs | June 9, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as the father of a nine-year-old girl, I say there are MUCH worse getups that Willow could've worn. Her clothes are clean, matching, and modest (none of which is a given for many dirty, color-blind, and/or skin-baring girls today).

That said, why blog about celebrity kids and their fashion choices? It's a slippery slope from "Oh Look, Suri Has on High Heels" to "Let's Dissect Every Diaper Style in the Jolie-Pitt Family." Can't we just stick with snarking on grownups?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 9, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I think she stole the outfit from her father's "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" wardrobe. In that sense, it's very retro-erarly 90's.

Posted by: pfallsgirl | June 10, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Edit my young friend.
STYLE is all about knowing how to edit.
www.thethrifters.net