Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 06/ 2/2010

Instapoll: Fergie apologizes on 'Oprah.' Now what?

By Liz Kelly

Sarah Ferguson's hour-long appearance on Tuesday's "Oprah" was, well, shakier than anticipated. She appeared to be somewhat incoherent for much of the interview. At least when she wasn't busy referring to herself in the third person, blaming alcohol for her attempt to sell access to ex Prince Andrew and claiming that she needed the money for a friend (before admitting she is deep in financial doo-doo herself).

As apologies go, Fergie's performance can best be described as "limp." So, what should the Duchess of York -- one-time Weight Watchers spokeswoman, children's book author and philanthropist -- do next to repair her tarnished image? Should she take up the latest offer to appear on "Celebrity Rehab" alongside the likes of Tila Tequila? You tell us.

By Liz Kelly  | June 2, 2010; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Insta-Polls  | Tags:  Fergie, Sarah Ferguson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Glee's' Jane Lynch marries; Charlie Sheen likely to get 30 days in jail
Next: Your take on Russell Brand

Comments

I thought it was the cynic in me saying "this woman is stoned" but, did you ALSO noticed that she was out there in planet Pluto? I felt like screaming "Come back!". Celebrities should know better than to give interviews while under the influence. What do you call that? GIUI? Now, a general question for celebritology chat... do weight watchers/jenny craig sues their spokeperson if they gain their weight back? They all seem to get chubby after they receive their last payment... what do they do? EAT the paycheck?!

Posted by: ileschinder | June 2, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

ileschinder
what do they do? EAT the paycheck?!

SPLOOT, all over the keyboard!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 2, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Early on-set Alzheimers?

Dementia?

Really - there is no explanation for either the behavior or the interview.

She either was always an idiot and hid it sometimes, or something has gone wrong in her brain.

Posted by: Amelia5 | June 2, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Here's the bigger question - Did Oprah notice the I'm out in lala land stare and if so did she address it at all off camera, or on since I did not see the interview? The woman appears to have something wrong with her. Maybe that's why her ex too pity on her.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | June 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ferguson has traded on the fame she obtained by marrying a rich and famous guy and made it into a pretty good living. Now she says she's in financial straits. Just another poor, single mum who has a hard time getting a job? Perhaps she's gone through more money than most of his will ever see in a lifetime?

Posted by: Sutter | June 2, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, this may be about celebrities and all... but I seriously wonder about the legal implications of breach of contract with those dieting companies. Laywers out there, help me out! Say, if I wanted to switch careers and become a diet-pill-spokesperson, and i totally mess up after the contract is up, i am basically killing their brand. So, can they sue me for libel?! Since the size of my botty speaks badly of their product?!

Posted by: ileschinder | June 2, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

can they sue me for libel?!
*****
no, they cannot, unless there is some sort of ongoing contractual term which the party has breached. libel is a subset of defamation and involves the written word. slander is verbal. there are specific categories which constitute defamation and getting fat after ending one's involvement in a company's program is not one of them.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 2, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

If GIUI were a crime there would be no more celebrity interviews. Oh wait, that's a bad thing?

On a more serious note: The reason the celebs gain weight after they quit as spokespeople is they never really adjusted their habits. Jenny Craig and the like give you food, stick you to a plan, but you never change your mindset. Once you don't have the rigid control of the plan, Whump back comes the weight because you are right back to overeating. I lost over 40 pounds by eating less and exercising more. That is the only surefire way to lose the weight and keep it off.

Posted by: epjd | June 2, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

On ANOTHER sidenote. I would be sooooo friggin' happy if the I just coined a new celeb-term: GIUI!
I'm calling my mother! And Oprah! hahaha

Posted by: ileschinder | June 2, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

epjd is right. mindset is the key. i did avail myself of weightwatchers online over the past year. lost 40 pounds following the program and upping the exercise. no longer pay the monthly fee because the concept is burned into my brain. it will work if you stick w/it. it's a life change, not a diet.

Posted by: frieda406 | June 2, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse