Posted at 10:33 AM ET, 06/16/2010

Mag roundup: Taylor Lautner isn't all abs; Plus: Robert Pattinson, Megan Fox, Cameron Diaz

By Liz Kelly

(Mario Testino for GQ)

A quick scan of the celebrity interviews hitting newsstand shelves in the near future...

Listen up. Taylor Lautner is more than a tight set of abs. Or so he'd have us believe. In the July issue of GQ, the 18-year-old "Twilight" saga star opens up about how he landed the role of the buff Jacob Black, his humble home life and why he's not content to rest on his laurels or, umm, abs:

"Originally I was supposed to take off my shirt. The script [of 'Valentine's Day'] said we were walking into school and Willy takes off his shirt. I said, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa. Time out. He's gonna take off his shirt in the middle of school? No, no, no.' The reason I took off my shirt for New Moon is because it's written in the book that way. And there's reasons behind it."

Vampy Robert Pattinson is busy hyping next week's release of "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse," too, and in the latest issue of Parade magazine Pattinson again sidesteps questions about his off-screen relationship with co-star Kristen Stewart, explains why the kissing in "Eclipse" felt more natural to him and why prudish vampires are actually way cooler than that pushy tart Bella:

"Edward is old-fashioned. Nowadays, everyone just goes around screwing everyone for no reason. I guess Edward doesn't really want to sort of cheapen his relationship with Bella, even though she's pushing him to go all the way. He's got this certain idea of how it should go with the love of his life. He wants to do it right and not just follow his base instincts. I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned in that way as well."

In July's Interview magazine, Megan Fox (reportedly recently re-engaged to Brian Austin Green and next co-starring in "Jonah Hex") poses provocatively with a naked doppleganger mannequin. But you may also want to read the actual Q&A conducted by none other than the off-beat Zach Galifianakis. Fox talks about how some of her more outrageous quotables ("I want to eat Robert Pattinson.") were actually calculated, designed to fit the sex-kitten/wild child role she plays off screen. She also shares paparazzi avoidance tips ("I find that it's easier to disguise yourself when you go to Florida or places like that, because no one is expecting to see a celebrity there."), being her grandmother's favorite and how she came to be so misunderstood:

"I'm one of those people who fiercely guards their privacy, so I hate doing interviews. Because just in terms of the experience I've had with the media so far, almost everything I say, no matter how innocent my intentions are, seems to get sort of manipulated and sensationalized and turned into some ridiculous news story."

In July's Playboy, Cameron Diaz sets the record straight about her relationship (or lack of one) with Yankee Alex Rodriguez, what it's like working with ex Justin Timberlake, her dating criteria ("I never shut down any man who's willing to ask me out unless he's a total d----- bag.") and the possibility of hooking up with another woman:

"Sexuality and love can be different things. I can be attracted to a woman sexually, but it doesn't mean I want to be in love with a woman. If I'm going to be with a woman sexually, it doesn't mean I'm a lesbian. We put these restraints and definitions on people, but it's hard to define."

By Liz Kelly  | June 16, 2010; 10:33 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities  | Tags:  Cameron Diaz, Megan Fox, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Justin Bieber's neck *not* broken; Laurie David denies Al Gore affair
Next: Royal update: Kate Middleton not pregnant

Comments

Says Ms. Diaz: "I never shut down any man who's willing to ask me out unless he's a total d----- bag."

So you're saying there's a chance....

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | June 16, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Ya can't really blame any woman for denying a relationship with A Rod.

Megan really strikes me as someone who values her privacy. Especially when she makes sure the whole world knows she's bisexual. Unless she was pulling all our legs.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 16, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize Taylor Lautner was a giraffe until I saw that GQ cover.

Taylor is on GQ and Robert is in Parade. Curious target markets.

I think Taylor is winning that PR battle, because his story is on glossy paper likely next to ads for high-end clothes and colognes that no one can afford.

While Robert's is probably next to ads for stretch pants and Eva Gabor wigs and that vapid Parade Q&A ("I loved watching 'Mannix' years ago. Is it on DVD? I have never heard of the internet so I can't check there. It starred an actor named Mike or Mark or something." --Richard F., Fort Lee, NJ).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 16, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess Megan Fox and I have different definitions of what constitutes "fiercely guarding our privacy". For example, I don't communicate my every thought to the media, try really hard to be shocking and do anything to keep my name in the press.

I find Taylor Lautner to be very feminine-looking.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 16, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Cali,

There were actually psychology papers way back in 60s about how tween idols tend to be androgenous.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 16, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Well, that explains Justin Bieber's appeal to the tween set.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 16, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

reddragon1, I don't even want to know how you know about 60s psychology papers on the subject of androgeny. (That also explains part of k.d. lang's appeal as well, I take it?)

Californian11, I find Taylor to still be Shark Boy (sans Lava Girl), so the idea of him as a matinee idol just kills me.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

td, I read that as a "manatee idol;" fitting, given that movie.

Posted by: CentreOfNowhere1 | June 16, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

re: cameron diaz's comments: huh?????

Posted by: frieda406 | June 16, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I think you're on to something, CentreOfNowhere1....

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 16, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

td - second that neck thought... When I saw that headline "Taylor Lautner is more than ..abs" I thought "yes, he's also neck"

I find the Parade Q&A to be strangely transfixing. I always find something in there makes me question if there are really people who are burning to know what ever happened to Jaye P. Morgan - or some other former B lister. The staff at Parade must just sit around and dream this up and/or sell out questions to mid-tier publicists.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | June 16, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse