Posted at 10:25 AM ET, 06/10/2010

Rihanna opens up about Chris Brown, Matt Kemp

By Liz Kelly

(Photo courtesy Elle)

Rihanna's come a long way since the night, a little over a year ago, when then-boyfriend Chris Brown threatened and physically abused her ahead of the 2009 Grammy Awards. In the July issue of Elle, the pop songstress opens up about the tumultuous end of her relationship Brown ("I just didn't want to feel the pain, the confusion") and her life with new boyfriend Matt Kemp ("It keeps me sane").

A few highlights:

On new boyfriend Matt Kemp: "I have a boyfriend. I'm so happy. I feel really comfortable, and it's so easy. I have such a chaotic life, but at the end of the day, that is just my peace. It keeps me sane, really, talking to him and talking to my family."

About Chris Brown: "A year ago, I was very confused. Because he was my best friend. All of a sudden, one night changed our whole lives-not only our friendship, but our lives. I wanted to wake up one day and just not have that pain anymore. I wanted to be with him again or get over him-it was either-or. I just didn't want to feel the pain, the confusion."

On the cover of her new album Rated R: "I wanted pictures that represented strength and fearlessness but still femininity -- a strong woman who can be vulnerable. Every woman is made up of vulnerability and strength; no matter what race you are, no matter what you've been through in your life. Every woman has that strength that is undeniable, but we also have really big hearts. It's just us."

Chris Brown -- who was sentenced to five years of probation, one year of domestic violence counseling, and six months of community service -- is now dating model Jasmine Sanders and was recently denied entry into the U.K. because of his criminal record. And, in more related news, C-list rapper Drake claims that Rihanna, whom he dated briefly following her split from Brown in 2009, "used [him] like a pawn."

By Liz Kelly  | June 10, 2010; 10:25 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities  | Tags:  Rihanna
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donald Trump wants Lindsay Lohan for 'Celebrity Apprentice'; Tabloid publishes Gary Coleman deathbed photo
Next: Five reasons to watch Sunday's Tony Awards

Comments

I can't stand Rihanna. That pissed-off, dead-eyed, I'm-too-good-for-all-this expression, which seems to be the only expression she has... ugh. Just reminds me of the McDonald's counter girl you're pretty sure is going to spit in your coke.

Posted by: WDC2 | June 10, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't care enough about Rihanna to dis her. It does seem like could be one of those singing stars destined for tumultuous relationships a la Whitney Houston. I wouldn't put much credence in her ability to philosophize on feminism.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 10, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

PS Could we also deny Chris Brown entry into the US?

And, I forgot to say, as a guy, Rihanna is smokin hawt.

Posted by: reddragon1 | June 10, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I think Rihanna's head was photoshopped onto a child's teeny body in that photo. She's never looked like a lollipop-head before, but sure does in that photo.

Posted by: Californian11 | June 10, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

The MSM uses Rihanna to bash Chris Brown and, by extension, all black men. Well, we're still tagging white women, propogana or not, deal with it.

Men haved lived to regret Halle Berry and they've lived to regret Rihanna. Matt Kemp will just be the next one on the list.

Posted by: gbooksdc | June 10, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Hi Liz,

Not sure how much you know about rap music, but Drake is certainly not on the C-List. He is actually considered a phenom in the rap world these days, having collaberated with all of the A-Listers, sold millions without even having an album released. Just an FYI.

Posted by: Carol7701 | June 10, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Here, here Carol7701. Not a Drake fan, but he is certainly not on the C list. Perhaps a little less snark and more research, is in order.

Posted by: desprice | June 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Finding it hard to summon the energy to care much about Rihanna and her new fella, ella, ella. Whatevs. I'm more amazed that the Chris Brown thing was only one year ago; seems like we've been hearing about it for ages.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 10, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Yes Liz, get with the program. A real celebritologist would know Drake is not C-list.

Posted by: jennifermb98 | June 10, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 10, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Ditto.

Posted by: jezebel3 | June 10, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

i love rihanna she is such an inspiration. such a role model and deserves all of her success
recently seen her in Belfast n. Ireland and she was outstanding.
good for her getting a new guy :)
i am so happy that Chris brown isn't allowed into the UK it serves him right and it shows he is being treated just like any regular person

Posted by: lilmissmegz94 | June 10, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

You'll seem to forget Matt had past issues and he was older than Chris, but you;ll seem to forgive him. Sometime people have to hit rock bottom than they climb all the way to the top, its all in GODS plan, Chris hold tight God is working it out. The haters don't know what their future hold, who knows some of them could be a rapist, murderer just haven't been caught

Posted by: kbkitty481 | June 10, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post now you want to Join the ban wagon, Is Rihanna the only person in the world that youll soo fascinate over. Never seen nonthing like this in my whole life, I will stop my delivery.

Posted by: kbkitty481 | June 10, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I signed up simply post my opinion/comment. I think this magazine article for her is as usual perfect timing. It is another publicity stunt for her to gain more attention through sympathy because she lacks quality and raw talent,just like her barely there clothes and sex driven lyrics,moves and videos and shows are a distraction for her lack of talented performances. I know there will be plenty that will buy this issue, It just bothers me that people in the entertainment industry like this woman have "perfect" and beautifully crafted lives systematically orchestrated to benefit their careers, I wouldn't be shocked if she or her "people" were behind preventing Chris's career from continuing. The PR moves are great for business,one would probably say she has excellent staff for that,but is it real and authentic, no. It bothers me that I only see and hear a few faces in mainstream music, making the "big bucks" and getting the most exposure, there are so many talented and beautiful people in this world and we are only showing but a select few and who knows really the character of the ones so many of us continue to support because they are constantly selling us an image and the image isn't real so in essence apart of them isn't real. This is deeper far beyond I choose to go, I realize there's a whole system created to make the consumers not demand for anything more than what they are given or shown, I just want people to wake up! and start giving as much attention to what's authentic, what's respectable and what's of quality. just my opinion, Peace

Posted by: sakeenaj | June 11, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

About Drake/Rihanna: Rihanna is quite a liar. She always insisted in interviews that there had been nothing going on between herself and Drake, alluded that the press made it all up, AND she kept saying that the two of them were good friends. Well, apparently they are not! If she lies to the public sometimes then she should never complain again if some media lie about her.

Another interesting point: Chris Brown has been known to hint in a song („Famous Girl“ on his album „Graffiti“) that Rihanna, while she was still his girlfriend, had cheated on him with Drake. No one wanted to believe Brown when he told that tale some time after his split-up with Rihanna, b/c he was the bad guy. But since Drake now confirmed a brief affair with Rihanna, albeit claiming it took place after Rihanna left Chris (but does Drake know that? No one knows when they split up exactly), that news also sheds some strange new light on Chrihannagate: Maybe Chris Brown wasn’t the only cheater in the game…

Posted by: justme34 | June 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

About Drake-Rihanna: Rihanna is quite a liar. She always insisted in interviews that there had been nothing going on between herself and Drake, alluded that the press made it all up, AND she kept saying that the two of them were good friends. Well, apparently they are not! If she lies to the public sometimes then she should never complain again if some media lie about her.

Posted by: justme34 | June 13, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Okay, maybe Drake was B/C list when he and Rihanna had their fling - but I think that combined with the success of "Best I Ever Had" catapulted him to A-list status now. Seriously, he's one of the biggest acts in the world right now.

Posted by: ralphieaversa | June 14, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse