Posted at 12:02 PM ET, 06/ 3/2010

Rue McClanahan dead at 76

By Liz Kelly

Rue McClanahan. (AP)

And then there was one.

"Golden Girl" Rue McClanahan died overnight of a stroke, manager Barbara Lawrence tells People magazine. McClanahan, 76, also suffered a stroke earlier this year while recovering from bypass surgery.

The death of McClanahan leaves the prolific Betty White, 88, as the only surviving member of the "Golden Girls" cast. Bea Arthur passed away last year and Estelle Getty died in 2008.

Oh, and yes, McClanahan was a busy working actress before landing the role as oversexed Blanche Devereaux on the CBS sitcom, which ran from 1985-1992. She began her career on stage in New York before transitioning to TV with a brief stint on "Another World" and a regular role as Arthur's best friend on "Maude" from 1972-1978.

Below, a couple of McClanahan's choice "Golden Girls" moments:

Share your thoughts about the passing of Rue McClanahan below...

By Liz Kelly  | June 3, 2010; 12:02 PM ET
Categories:  Obits  | Tags:  Rue McClanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fashion Statement: Hanging out with Christina Ricci
Next: Predicting the MTV Movie Award winners

Comments

I love the show "Golden Girls". I watch it whenever it's on, I don't care if it's an episode I've seen 10000 times. It always cheers me up to watch the girls be awesome. I felt like I was part of the group! Every time I watch the show, I always hope I'll grow old and have great friends like them.

RIP Rue. You'll always be a friend. <3 Thanks for all the great moments.

Posted by: Jayem | June 3, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

RIP Rue. You'll always be a friend. <3 Thanks for all the great memories.

Posted by: Jayem | June 3, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Oi - sorry for the double post. I didn't think the first one went through because I got an error message and it wasn't showing.

Posted by: Jayem | June 3, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

RIP Rue. Well, know Rose has someone to snark to in heaven.

Posted by: epjd | June 3, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

She was also great recently on Sordid Lives: The Series. RIP Rue.

Posted by: JMGII | June 3, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

GG was on NBC, not CBS. RIP, Blanche.

Posted by: monongahela79 | June 3, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Um, I don't think Rose is in heaven yet. Last I checked, Betty White was alive and kicking. Dorothy on the other hand....

Posted by: StuckatWork | June 3, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to know that Betty White got to visit with Rue McClanahan during rehearsals for Saturday Night Live.

My favorite Blanche line:

"Well, so what if she is? Danny Thomas is one, and he's very nice."

"Not Lebanese, Blanche. Lesbian."

"[questioning] Lesbian? [understanding] Lesbian. [really understanding] Lesbian."

Posted by: mapleleaves1 | June 3, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Hands down, the best Blanche episode is when she was writing her romance novel and stays up all night, becoming delirious in the process.

Blanche: My God! I'm hallucinatin'! I see little balls of sunshine in a bag! Does this mean somethin'?
[holds up a bag of something yellow]

Rose: Blanche, those are egg yokes.

Blanche: [smiling] My brain's gone!

Blanche: [a few moments later; same bag of egg yokes] Rose, what is this? Yellow eye balls are starin' at me!

Posted by: laney619 | June 3, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The Golden Girls was on NBC, not CBS.

Posted by: MPersow | June 3, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

One of the most poignant moments on "Golden Girls" was when Blanche recounted how she received the news that her husband had just been killed in a car crash. It was by phone, and the ;aw-enforcement person on the other end of the line was eating a bag lunch and nonchalantly going crunch, crunch, crunch on potato chips while indifferently conveying to Blanche what had occurred.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 3, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse