Posted at 12:52 PM ET, 06/ 9/2010

Songs that should be covered in 'Glee' season two

By Jen Chaney

New Directions, we've got some new tunes for you. (Fox)

The first season of "Glee" came to a close last night in the expected fashion: with a barrage of blistering Sue Sylvesterisms, teary tributes to Mr. Schue, the -- SPOILER ALERT -- birth of a baby and, of course, a spirited Journey medley.

Now that it's over, we are left with several questions to ponder regarding season two. Will Emma and Will get back together? (Seems likely, based on last night's events.) Will the show be able to sustain its mix of poignance and pop-music frivolity for another full season without getting stale? (Unclear.) And what will they sing next?

On that last question, I actually have some ideas. Here's a list of some tunes that could sound pretty great if given the New Directions treatment.

"Magic Power" by Triumph: The "Glee" crew has done more than its share of Journey covers. It's time to explore other hard rock power ballads from the early '80s, and this rarely heard pseudo-hit about the spirit of song was simply made to be belted out in cheesy, theatrical fashion.

"Coming Home" by Cinderella

Allow me to say what so many "Glee" viewers surely must be thinking: This show needs more hair metal. Bon Jovi got a shout-out in the "Vitamin D" episode, but that's the closest we've gotten. Ryan Murphy, for your consideration, I offer: Cinderella.

"One Song Glory" from "Rent"

Songs from numerous Broadways shows ("Cabaret," "Wicked," "West Side Story") have popped up on "Glee." But so far, the show hasn't touched Jonathan Larson's "Rent." The Pulitzer Prize winner's signature number, "Seasons of Love," is too overdone. But "One Song Glory" could be a great showcase for either Finn or Puck if/when one of them inevitably ponders leaving behind glee club during season two.

"Stand" by Sly and the Family Stone

The "Funk" episode may have already passed, but there's no reason that "Glee" can't feature Sly, one of the funkiest artists ever, in the future. This 1970 hit, with its fight-for-your-rights vibe, fits in perfectly with the "Glee" ethos. ("Everybody is a Star," another Sly classic with a ready-made-for-"Glee" message, could be pretty great, too.)

"All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers

I'll admit it; part of the reason I want to hear this song on "Glee" is just to hear Mercedes crush the "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" part.

"We Are Golden" by Mika

Mika is more well-known in the UK than here in the U.S., but if "Glee" gets hold of this splashy track -- and it should, with Kurt doing lead vocals -- that could change.

"The Rainbow Connection" by Kermit the Frog

Will and Puck did a sweet version of "Over the Rainbow" in last night's finale. The next rainbow-related track on the "Glee" agenda should be this one. Maybe some Muppets can even make a cameo appearance?

Now it's your turn. What tunes do you nominate for the "Glee" treatment next season?

By Jen Chaney  | June 9, 2010; 12:52 PM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture  | Tags:  Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fashion Statement: Willow Smith, girl gone wild
Next: Donald Trump wants Lindsay Lohan for 'Celebrity Apprentice'; Tabloid publishes Gary Coleman deathbed photo

Comments

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 9, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what they sing. Even songs I hate they make interesting.

Last night, I had something in my eye the entire darn episode. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Posted by: epjd | June 9, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"Love is Like Oxygen" by Sweet & "Venus" by The Shocking Blue (and covered by Bananarama).

Posted by: megreenberg | June 9, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm still holding out for a New Kids on the Block themed episode. Turns out the songs I was going to suggest have already been covered in Glee. Guess those earworms are at it again.

Posted by: StuckatWork | June 9, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Puck doing "If I Were a Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Curt singing some Jimmy Sommerville -- Small Town Boy or his version of You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real).

Posted by: maclean6914 | June 9, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Freebird!

Posted by: molsonmich | June 9, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

megreenberg, I am seriously loving the idea of "Love Is Like Oxygen" (a.k.a. the anthem of my freshman year of high school). Fantastic suggestion.

I'd like to see a theme episode around Cole Porter, George Gershwin, and/or Stevie Wonder. Other than that, in no particular order:

"Urgent," Foreigner
"Undun," The Guess Who
"Jungle Love," Steve Miller Band
"Sooner or Later," The Grass Roots
"I've Got the Music in Me," Kiki Dee
"Sympathy for the Devil," Rolling Stones

And anything by the Fifth Dimension, Cowsills and/or Mamas and the Papas.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | June 9, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"Dominance and Submission" - Blue Oyster Cult
"Pachuco Cadaver" - Captain Beefheart
"When the Music's Over" (full version) - The Doors
"If 6 was 9" - Jimi Hendrix

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | June 9, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Chasmosaur1 said: Actually, from RENT, I'd love to see "I'll Cover You". And then you can get Jesse L. Martin in as Rachel's black gay dad to sing it as a duet with Lea Michele...

I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! somebody please get in tough with Mr. Martin's agent ASAP!

Posted by: y1776 | June 9, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"I Will Survive"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"What I Did For Love" from "A Chorus Line."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, my mind officially took off early from work after that Puck suggestion.

Posted by: epjd | June 9, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I want an 80's show (have they done one? I've missed a few eps, naughty me...) Songs from the John Hughes oeuvre would be wicked awesome. I like McLean's suggestions for Curt, too!

Posted by: kbockl | June 9, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"It's Raining Men," Weather Girls

"Paradise by the Dashboard Light," Meatloaf

Pretty much anything by Styx

I missed the first half of this season, though, so apologize if they've already done any of this.

Posted by: laura33 | June 9, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Good news, Kbockl and other Gleeks: Fox is rerunning the entire first season of the series on Thursday nights (I believe at 8 p.m. EDT). Can't wait!

Posted by: DCSteve1 | June 9, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, ep, Puck can't exactly do "Sunrise Sunset," unless it were horribly ironic.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"They Don't Know About Us" by Tracey Ullman. TOTAL cheese, love it!

Posted by: sbrasher | June 9, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

epjd said: "I don't care what they sing. Even songs I hate they make interesting."

Yes! I almost WANT them to cover songs I hate, just so I can marvel in the collective creativity and awesomeness. I suggest the guys do a Celine Dion cover and make it not suck. The gauntlet is thrown, what now Schuester.

Posted by: ishkabibbleA | June 9, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

They have already been given the green lite from NKOTB to use any of these songs as long as they do not mess up 2 in the morning or summertime.

But they needs to stay away from a themed show. the GAGA episode and the Madonna episode was a bit annoying. It had nothing to do with the show and the charaters, it was distracting. I think they need to stay with the plan of randoms songs from now and 90's, 80's, and later and leave it at that.

Styx would be great, Queen of course, Erasure, or even any broadway song will work for me.

Posted by: hoyt51201 | June 9, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, Nosy, could he do "If I Were a Rich Man" a la the Canadian bar band Captain Tractor?

(Make sure you listen past the 1 minute mark)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | June 9, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Total Eclipse of the heart

Posted by: JackStillwell | June 9, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Chasmo, my computer is resisting playing the cut. But I'm sure that, like you, it's much hipper than the version from my era.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"LikelY" that Will and Emma will get back together? Maybe, but I find it odd that they would do that quickly given they just signed John Stamos to play Emma's new love interest. And that news was posted before this.

JackStillwell: Done this year already.

Posted by: ihateyoufordoingthis | June 9, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

ihateyoufordoingthis, I think Will and Emma getting back together would constitute shark-jumping.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"I Wish it Would Rain Down" by Phil Collins

"Wouldn't it be Nice" by The Beach Boys

"Disco Down" by Kylie Minogue

Posted by: elle2452 | June 9, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

LOVE the Jesse L. Martin/ "I'll Cover You" idea!

Also:
From the rock (ish) genre, how about either -Blink 182- Stay Together for the Kids or
-Green Day- When I Come Around

Also suggest
- Carole King- You've Got A Friend
- Chicago- Hard to Say I'm Sorry

Posted by: CapHill32 | June 9, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"Every Sperm is Sacred" by Monty Python.

Sorry, just don't get the appeal of this show. And I watched the first 3 episodes, when it was supposedly at its peak. Yawn!

Posted by: cjbriggs | June 9, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

CSN(&Y): "Teach Your Children."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Kurt absolutely needs to sing I AM WHAT I AM from La Cage.

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | June 9, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Perfectly played, Arl!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 9, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Love you, Nosy!

Posted by: ArlingtonGay | June 9, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

JackStillwel- they did Total Eclips of the Heart on episode "Bad Reputation" this season. It s actually really good.

Posted by: hoyt51201 | June 9, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Eat right & lose weight to Control Diabetes. Use meal planner to find right foods which may help you manage blood sugar under control. Use this free meal planner http://bit.ly/aW3m4j

Posted by: jeanharlow1 | June 10, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

I second any Mika song. He's so unknown here despite several of his songs being used in commercials.

I also second any 80s hair metal band or more metal in general.

Puck could totally pull off "Livin' After Midnite", Rob Halford S&M outift & all!!

Posted by: wadejg | June 10, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe nobody has suggested all four sides of Yes' 1974 double LP, "Tales From The Topographic Oceans".

How about Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant Massacree"?

Posted by: byoolin1 | June 10, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I love, love, love Glee. Repeats start tonight (Thursday) and are on right before So You Think You Can Dance (which I also love!). Ah - Thursday nights will be golden the next 10 weeks or so.

Posted by: MrsKirby | June 10, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

LOVE the idea of one of Rachel's dads being Jesse L. Martin & singing "I'll Cover You!" However, I am waiting for a Barry Manilow episode, a Police episode, and a beach music episode - complete with the cast dressed like the beach party movies!

Posted by: lydandy | June 10, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Definitley Queen... so much theatrical possibility there!

Where are the Van Morrison covers - I think Puck could do great things with something from "Astral Weeks".

Posted by: ninnie1 | June 10, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

A boy like that - west side story (for Kurt's new bf)
Use Somebody - Kings of Leon (either of the ND football players)
Take your mama out - Sissor Sisters (for Finn's or Quinn's mother)
Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson (for ND referring to VA)
Incense & Peppermint - Strawberry Alarmclock, but sung in the style of Marilyn Manson (another ND group number)
I need a man - Eurythmics (Santanna)
Crazy on you - Heart (Mercedes)
I am a rock - Simon and Garfinkle (Puck or Artie)
For what it's worth - Buffalo Springfield (ND group)
Fight for your right - Beastie Boys (ND boys)
We got the beat - Go Gos (ND girls)

Posted by: burkemic99 | June 10, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying for MONTHS now that they need to songs from 'Rent' and have either Taye Diggs or Jesse L. Martin and Anthony Rapp as Rachel's dads! Bring on Ms. Corcoran (Idina!) and that show would ROCK!! Are you listening, producers?

Posted by: itsagvn | June 10, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Wish "Glee" would bring back the Acafellas!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | June 10, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Since Mr. Schue is a Spanish teacher, I think it's time for them to cover Latin music. And I mean real Latin beats, not Ricky Martin pop songs or Enrique Iglesias ballads.

Posted by: kawena | June 10, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse